ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2002 ES300 - new head unit, no sound, you've probably heard this before

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-18, 07:47 PM
kalpol
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 ES300 - new head unit, no sound, you've probably heard this before

Hi all, I have a 2002 ES300 for which I am replacing the Pioneer in-dash changer with a double-din unit. I am using the Metra 70-8113 harness, all works perfectly except that there is no sound. I am pretty sure I don't have the JBL system mentioned so often - in this model it was either Pioneer or the Mark Levinson with navigation, and I have Pioneer. So the adapter ought to be correct.

I've been through this forum and the web in general and tried all the tricks I found. The RCA plugs are plugged into the radio. The blue amp wire on the Metra harness is getting power. The grounds are well-soldered (black/white and black on Metra to black from head unit, which is the Atoto Android radio). I tried combining the antenna/amp power from radio to the amp wire on the Metra. Not so much as a crackle. The original radio works just fine when I plug it back in. It seems likely that the new head unit is not turning the amp on for some reason that I don't understand. The only thing I have not tried is applying 12V power directly to the amp wire just in case the radio isn't turning on, but I did try the power antenna wire which I feel must work because the radio tunes in the station and its metadata quickly when I plug it in (although I can't hear it). I did not try wiring any speakers directly to the radio, I might try that next if I can find a test speaker in the morning.

Any ideas? I do not want to hack into the car wiring, or bypass amps, if this doesn't work I will just reinstall the old unit.

Thank you kindly,
kalpol
Old 05-11-18, 08:24 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

I would try applying power to the amp wire, making sure you have the correct wire of course.
Old 05-11-18, 08:57 PM
kalpol
Driver School Candidate

Also the old head unit says "anti-theft" across the front - the amp isn't keyed to it or something stupid like that is it?
Old 05-11-18, 09:15 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

No. The security feature is something that has to be activated manually (a combo key press I think, never tried it) when activated the head unit won't work until unlocked.
Old 05-12-18, 11:08 AM
kalpol
Driver School Candidate

Further testing:

Radio works fine with a speaker directly on speaker wire.

There are two wires in the radio harness that are puzzling me. TX+ and TX- is what they are on the wiring diagram. Is this some kind of digital signal that the amp needs? (Edit: Just to keep all this information in one place, it's Toyota's AVC-LAN system).

It's starting to look like the radio has a digital interface with the amp that controls the sound. Maybe it's time to give up on this project and just use the tape cassette adapter!

Is this what the TYTO-01 adapter is supposed to handle, even though I have the 6CD Pioneer unit?

Also, the Metra harness speaker wires don't seem to line up quite right - the ground is up top whereas in the car harness it's on the bottom separating two speaker wires. I can move that around easily but no go.

Last edited by kalpol; 05-12-18 at 11:36 AM.
Old 05-12-18, 11:18 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Do you have a part number for the amplifier? On my car the +12 volt activate wire for the amp is in an odd place it is part of the audio input bundle. I have a spare amp I am going to put into a different car I almost gave up on the amp thinking it was dead.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...and-specs.html
Old 05-12-18, 11:20 AM
kalpol
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Do you have a part number for the amplifier? On my car the +12 volt activate wire for the amp is in an odd place it is part of the audio input bundle. I have a spare amp I am going to put into a different car I almost gave up on the amp thinking it was dead.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...and-specs.html
I don't, it's still in the car. It's whatever amp came in a 2002 ES300 with the Pioneer 6CD radio (no navigation). The diagram says "S10(A), S11(B) Stereo Component Amplifier".
Old 05-12-18, 11:36 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Part number is 86280-33130 it's an updated version of what's in my car. The amp trigger could be the same as the 1997-2001 Pioneer amp, white wire as part of the larger grey shielded bundle.
Old 05-12-18, 01:59 PM
kalpol
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexus2000
Part number is 86280-33130 it's an updated version of what's in my car. The amp trigger could be the same as the 1997-2001 Pioneer amp, white wire as part of the larger grey shielded bundle.
So yeah after closely examining the Metra harness it is wrong in many areas. So that's the first problem. The amp wire is actually going to a blank on the Lexus harness. Also the speaker wires go to some blanks.

The other problem is that the wiring diagram doesn't seem to match what is in the car - there are a couple of wires unaccounted for.

The TX+/TX-/MUTE wires to the amp from the Lexus harness make me think that the original Lexus radio has digital control of the amp for volume. Without that signal, the amp won't come on. It's not like I'm used to seeing, with a simple amp trigger and volume control from the preamp outputs. So I don't think an aftermarket head unit is going to work in this particular vehicle without ripping out the rest of the factory amp and wiring and wiring the head unit directory to the speakers, and none of that I want to do.
Old 05-12-18, 02:43 PM
kalpol
Driver School Candidate

OK here's what I've got so far. This makes the issues with the Metra harness obvious, but I can move the pins around in it.
I've diagrammed the Lexus harness in the spreadsheet, with the Metra wires mapped in red. The second section maps the wiring diagram to the Lexus harness, but as you can see it's not quite clear.

Where does the amp power wire go? As I said, doesn't look like a straight trigger. What about the TX+/TX- connections? And what about the wires with question marks? Thanks for any more thoughts.

Top side of Lexus harness

Bottom side of Lexus harness

Top is Lexus harness colors mapped to Metra harness/aftermarket head unit. There are issues! Bottom is Lexus harness mapped to diagram. Also some issues, I've made some educated guesses but it's not clear what wires do what.
Old 05-12-18, 02:57 PM
kalpol
Driver School Candidate

And just for kicks here's the other wiring diagram I have which has really confusing color codes:

Old 05-12-18, 03:14 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Either that schematic is incomplete or TX+/TX- is some type of digital port that commands the amp to turn on and off among other things. BTW I found out the pin assignments on my amp by popping the cover off they are labeled on the printed circuit board.
Old 01-07-19, 06:33 PM
mhygb
Driver School Candidate

hi, does you fixed the amp no sound already or not? I have the same problem, thanks
Old 01-07-19, 06:43 PM
mhygb
Driver School Candidate