ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

when to change timing belt on es 300?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-17, 09:29 AM
jygesq
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default when to change timing belt on es 300?

car is 2003 with 68K on odo. When have you changed your timing belt. Car is garaged is in CT , wife drives it
Old 06-21-17, 10:19 AM
nsghtbrwry
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by jygesq
car is 2003 with 68K on odo. When have you changed your timing belt. Car is garaged is in CT , wife drives it
Official Toyota recommendation using the updated HSN Mitsuboshi belt (which your car would fall under) is every 90k or 6 years, whichever comes first.

That being said, I've seen people go 175-200k on the original timing belt (not that you should). The 1MZ in all its variants is non-interference, so if your belt snaps there will be no valve or piston damage.
Old 06-21-17, 11:30 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jygesq
Please read your owner's manual. It has everything most drivers need to know....
Old 06-21-17, 11:34 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by nsghtbrwry
Official Toyota recommendation using the updated HSN Mitsuboshi belt (which your car would fall under) is every 90k or 6 years, whichever comes first.

That being said, I've seen people go 175-200k on the original timing belt (not that you should). The 1MZ in all its variants is non-interference, so if your belt snaps there will be no valve or piston damage.
+1 for nsghtbrwry's reply. He/She is correct.

Last edited by PFB; 06-21-17 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-22-17, 12:56 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by nsghtbrwry
The 1MZ in all its variants is non-interference, so if your belt snaps there will be no valve or piston damage.
Has been debated tens or hundreds of times on various Toyota/Lexus boards. Many say the 1MZ-FE with VVT-i is interference.
Old 06-22-17, 05:14 AM
crwys
Lead Lap

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by artbuc
Has been debated tens or hundreds of times on various Toyota/Lexus boards. Many say the 1MZ-FE with VVT-i is interference.
I remember also reading a few months ago someone's timing belt broke and they had engine damage. I'm pretty sure it was a VVT-I engine.
Old 06-22-17, 05:52 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The point here is that you don't want your timing belt to snap whether it is interference or non-interference engine.
If the timing belt snaps while you are driving on a busy highway, you will lose power steering, vacuum assisted braking, etc...If the vehicle has stopped in the middle of the highway, you are creating a hazard.
Old 06-22-17, 06:54 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Originally Posted by BDSL
The point here is that you don't want your timing belt to snap whether it is interference or non-interference engine.
If the timing belt snaps while you are driving on a busy highway, you will lose power steering, vacuum assisted braking, etc...If the vehicle has stopped in the middle of the highway, you are creating a hazard.
I totally agree with this. However, it is equally important to correct misstatements and point out when unequivocal assertions may not be true. Newcomers often believe every statement here is posted by an expert who is always right. This can lead to big problems.
Old 06-22-17, 10:00 AM
nsghtbrwry
Pole Position

The 1MZ VVTi is non-interference. Proven time and time again.

I used to think that too, until somebody on Toyota Nation pointed out that there is no change in valve lift (not VVTi-L). So if you turn the camshaft on a non-VVTi engine (with the timing belt off) to open up valves, and then turn the crank and it doesn't hit (done this twice, once with the head unbolted to check, it's non-interference, and so is the VVT-i engine as valve timing changes don't matter if they're never physically sharing the same space as the piston.

Here's one thread, there are many like it: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...erference.html

...and another: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/10...ming-belt.html

...hardtop is usually the one called on to correct misinformation on this front, but there are others. Do a search.

...I'll put my money where my mouth is instead of talking smack: I have a timing belt change coming up in 30k on a VVTi engine. I'll take the belt off, make sure on one cylinder that the valves are lifted to max, then crank the starter and take video. It'll be a while, but if I'm wrong or lying about any of this, you guys will hear all hell breaking loose. as my valves bend.

That being said, the 3MZ is interference because they changed the pistons.

EDIT: There was a guy on TN recently with a gen3/4 Camry with a non-VVTi 1MZ. I think he had damage because something was seriously wrong with his valves and/or rods, as his pistons were hitting his valves which he took off the head to verify. Worth noting that Toyota claims the non-VVTi engine is non-interference.

Last edited by nsghtbrwry; 06-22-17 at 05:20 PM.
Old 06-22-17, 10:08 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Are you sure a test on a cold non-running engine will accurately simulate the full range of dynamic possibilites on a hot engine?

PS I am not talking smack, just pointing out I have been reading Lexus and Toyota message boards since they started 20-25+ years ago and many experts have expressed different views on this issue.
Old 06-22-17, 10:11 AM
nsghtbrwry
Pole Position

Originally Posted by artbuc
Are you sure a test on a cold non-running engine will accurately simulate the full range of dynamic possibilites on a hot engine?

PS I am not talking smack, just pointing out I have been reading Lexus and Toyota message boards since they started 15+ years ago and many experts have expressed different views on this issue.
Tell you what, I'll heat it up beforehand. I should be able to get the timing belt stuff off in under a couple mins.

EDIT: My bad, wasn't insinuating that you were talking smack. Just covering my own ***, trying to set up a test and don't want to seem confrontational
Old 06-22-17, 10:15 AM
artbuc
Instructor

http://www.answers.com/Q/Is_the_Toyo...ference_engine
Old 06-22-17, 10:42 AM
nsghtbrwry
Pole Position

Well, the guy quotes from Wikipedia, and I quote his quote, "They feature cast aluminium pistons with an anti-friction resin coating (moly) and valve depressions that decrease the chance of valve-to-piston interference in case of timing belt failure on motors without VVT-i."

I just checked the piston part numbers for a 2000 Camry V6 (non-VVTi) and a 2000 Avalon (VVTi), and they're both the same:

Right bank: 13101-20030
Left bank: 13301-20020

I mean, if the timing belt breaks, it doesn't matter if the engine has variable valve timing or not; valves have the same lift, so can potentially stay open at their maximum lift/open position and the chance of damage is the same. If the cast piston depressions bring that chance down to zero, then that's that I guess. It says the pistons are cast aluminum, I don't know if they're hypereutectic, how much they would expand when the motors at operating temperature, etc. I'm talking about what I feel is the worst-case scenario with TB failure: you're driving along the highway, you stomp on the gas to pass, shooting the RPMs past the VVT crossover, and it snaps.

I'm not discounting the Wikipedia article (and by proxy the guy quoting it); it does say "decrease the chance of valve-to-piston interference" so maybe under certain conditions things can go FUBAR. In any case, I've hijacked this thread long enough, I'll start a new one when it's time to do my test at 180k.
Old 06-22-17, 11:08 AM
crwys
Lead Lap

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Very informative, thanks for the input everyone. Keep us posted nsghtbrwry, I'm very curious.
Old 06-23-17, 09:37 PM
yeskay
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it is not worth to drive till the TB breaks (interference or not). Take a proactive approach and replace TB when it is due. Many dealers offer major service specials.

Quick Reply: when to change timing belt on es 300?