ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ES330 - Can a 2005's Stereo/Nav/Bluetooth be upgraded to 2017 performance?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-17, 01:23 PM
cory143
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Arrow ES330 - Can a 2005's Stereo/Nav/Bluetooth be upgraded to 2017 performance?

Hello, everyone. Would greatly appreciate some assistance.

My 05 ES330 Nav Mark Levinson has 158K on it and still running strong. Interior still excellent and overall body/paint excellent. The only drawback is the entertainment & phone system.

I have the standard Mark Levinson with NAV and 6-disc changer. Both the in-dash CD and the 6-disc changer died a year or two ago. I purchased a GROM unit to get Bluetooth and full phone connectivity on my Android phone which works fine. What I want to upgrade to is the 2017 version of full phone-Nav car integration and bells & whistles. I want complete touch-free phone (which I don't get with the GROM unit), backup camera, and full integration of phone and Nav system. While I am at it, I would replace some speakers.

Note that I'm not looking to have a system that you can hear from a half-mile away. The goal is to replace the existing 2005-year technology with 2017 technology. That way I get the new-car experience without having to buy a new car.

My plan is to do preliminary research and then visit local car audio installation places for quotes/proposals. I have checked Crutchfield's website for ES330's (https://www.crutchfield.com/g_182350...on.html#&avf=Y) but don't really get the info I need.

Has anyone done this? Suggestions? Success? Thanks in advance.

Cory
Orlando, Florida
Old 06-23-17, 08:25 AM
Dstu10
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, this can be done. I did this to my 05 a couple of years ago. Actually, I had better tech in my 05 than I do in my 17 ES but that's a story for another time. You have a couple of options. The first would be using GROM which you already are. The second would be to replace the head unit. The unit is very easy to get out and replace. You may have to splice wires if you don't buy the correct wiring harnesses. I placed some links below to help you get started.

Your discretion with the head unit I just suggest a double DIN: I like Clarion.(comes with a free backup camera) https://www.crutchfield.com/p_020NX7....html?tp=20212
Metra kit: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120998...t.html?tp=3121
Wiring kit: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120TYT...e.html?tp=3486 (Crutchfield says this is the correct one even though the year's don't match. May want to verify before you order)
Steering wheel controls: (optional) https://www.crutchfield.com/p_794ADS...r.html?tp=3405
There are a lot of add-ons that you can choose for the stereo-
*satelite radio
*back up camera
ETC

Let me know if you have any specfic install questions. I
The following 2 users liked this post by Dstu10:
cacarrillo (08-08-20), cory143 (06-24-17)
Old 06-23-17, 09:41 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Maybe a grom v-line unit? Also adding a rear view camera is incredibly simple, took my less time to install than the Grom audio unit.
The following users liked this post:
cory143 (06-24-17)
Old 06-24-17, 07:43 PM
cory143
Driver School Candidate

-- Here's a question right off the bat: I have the Mark Levinson system in it now. I've heard others replace speakers with non-OEM and report that the sound ends up sounding crappy. I assume you didn't have similar problems - correct?

-- You only replaced, the head unit and added the other accessories, correct? No amp replacement and no speaker replacement?

-- Regarding the Clarion NX706, I'd prefer one with a **** on it. Any suggestions?

-- Finally, I spoke with a rep at Crutchfield and she recommended a lot of things you did so I think we're on the right track.
Old 06-24-17, 07:44 PM
cory143
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dstu10
Yes, this can be done. I did this to my 05 a couple of years ago. Actually, I had better tech in my 05 than I do in my 17 ES but that's a story for another time. You have a couple of options. The first would be using GROM which you already are. The second would be to replace the head unit. The unit is very easy to get out and replace. You may have to splice wires if you don't buy the correct wiring harnesses. I placed some links below to help you get started.

Your discretion with the head unit I just suggest a double DIN: I like Clarion.(comes with a free backup camera) https://www.crutchfield.com/p_020NX7....html?tp=20212
Metra kit: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120998...t.html?tp=3121
Wiring kit: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120TYT...e.html?tp=3486 (Crutchfield says this is the correct one even though the year's don't match. May want to verify before you order)
Steering wheel controls: (optional) https://www.crutchfield.com/p_794ADS...r.html?tp=3405
There are a lot of add-ons that you can choose for the stereo-
*satelite radio
*back up camera
ETC

Let me know if you have any specfic install questions. I

Hey again. Thanks for the reply. I asked questions in another post but only part of it showed up. I don't get this website's features. Sigh.
AshES (06-20-22)
Old 06-26-17, 07:02 AM
Dstu10
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cory143
Hey again. Thanks for the reply. I asked questions in another post but only part of it showed up. I don't get this website's features. Sigh.

Stay away from a v-line unit. It's not set up for the car you have. V-line is a great product for a car that has a "screen" that is not part of the head unit. Yours is a one piece unit and so you do not need to waste your money. The head unit is up to you, I just recommend staying with a double din as a single will look funky in the car. I started with the head unit and worked and then added the speakers. Aftermarket speakers can be tricky to get right, each brand has a specific sound. I also recommend changing out the sub when you change the speakers as well as the amps. This will probably cost you more than head unit if you do it right. I did a complete rewire to the sub and ended up having two amps. Nothing crazy just figured I was going to do it right if I put all the work into it. I used a 8 inch sub and fabricated it into the place of the old one. Like I said I would tackle the replacing the head unit and move onto speaker installation.
30Times100 (05-01-20)
Old 06-27-17, 11:31 AM
cory143
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks!

Thanks, DSTU. I'm going to start with the head unit and see how it goes.

I did some research on Crutchfield.com and then spoke with a rep. They set me up with nearly the identical stuff you posted (Clarion unit, Metra kit, etc.) My next step is to go to a couple of local car audio places and see what they propose. (Doing that to see if they're looking to rip me off. Or to get ideas for myself. Or to have them do it. Who knows....)

Appreciate the help. Will let you know how it turns out.

Cory
Old 06-29-17, 06:11 AM
Dstu10
Driver School Candidate

That's a good idea. Just remember when it comes to speaker there it is very person specific. Some people like deep bass others not so much. The stereo install is very straight forward, IMO not worth paying someone to do it, There are a lot of videos on youtube. Basically just matching wires and splicing. There are some kits that just plug and play with an adapter. Good luck let us know how it turns out.
30Times100 (05-01-20)
Old 09-07-17, 08:44 AM
aridlorain
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
Maybe a grom v-line unit? Also adding a rear view camera is incredibly simple, took my less time to install than the Grom audio unit.
I have the Nav system without the Mark Levinson stereo. What backup camera did you add and will it show up on the navigation screen?

Loraine
30Times100 (05-01-20)
Old 02-14-18, 12:24 PM
cory143
Driver School Candidate

Hi, everyone. I have great news.

I replaced my head unit with the Pioneer 4201-NEX and had a guy at BestBuy install it. Extremely satisfied. Message me if you want more info. (at work - gotta get back to it...)
aridlorain (02-14-18)
Old 02-14-18, 12:54 PM
aridlorain
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you post a picture? I think ours is going and considering installing something newer. How do you like the new set up? Can you use voice controls/steering wheel buttons?
Did you have to get a new faceplate? Did you add a backup camera?
Thanks
Loraine
Old 02-15-18, 10:55 AM
cory143
Driver School Candidate

Hello, Loraine. Here's info that will help you.
  • I worked with a staff member at Crutchfield.com and they found me everything I needed. I worked with Rachel - she was great. I believe you can choose her to assist you. See stuff below.
  • I had the guys at BestBuy install it for around $300.00. It was worth it to me to have them install it - it's pretty complicated.
  • If you have an iPhone I think you will be extremely happy - the AppleCar interface is really good.
  • The Android Auto interface, however, was buggy and is now VERY buggy. I've read that this is common among aftermarket stereos - Android Auto is buggy. I've been working with Pioneer and they directed me to update firmware. I'll see how that works.
  • Yes, voice control works thru the stereo mic (not thru the steering wheel button on the right side - that's now dead.)
  • They guy installed backup camera below the rear bumper. Good in that it's very clean. Bad that the view is really low to the ground and takes getting used to. That plus there is no 'beeping' when you are getting close to a curb, another car, etc. But it's acceptable to me.
  • No photo for you. I'm at work. I guess I have to listen to my conference call now......
Cory

Pioneer AVH-4201NEX Package
Quantity Price Total
1 $699.99 $699.99 (NOTE: Also included a $100 mail in rebate so $599.99)
NOTE: MODEL NUMBER AVX-4200NEX DOES NOT INCLUDE THE REAR VIEW CAMERA. AVH-4201NEX IS THE 4200 WITH THE ADDITION OF THE REAR VIEW CAMERA DEVICE.

Pioneer CD-MU200 microUSB to USB Cable
Quantity Price Total
1 $29.99 $29.99

Quantity Price Total
1 $0.00 $0.00
Metra 99-8158G Kit Lexus ES300/330 02-06, I &DD
THIS IS THE REPLACEMENT CENTER DASHBOARD WHICH IS REQUIRED TO INSTALL THE PIONEER - THE COLOR WAS CLOSE BUT NOT PERFECT. IT CAME FOR FREE WITH MY ORDER.

Quantity Price Total
1 $16.66 $16.66
Axxess TYTO-01 Toyota Amp Turn On Interface
REQUIRED TO MATCH THE AVH-4200NEX WITH THE MARK LEVINSON

Quantity Price Total
1 $43.32 $43.32
iDatalink Maestro ADS-MSW Universal Steering Wheel Control
PURCHASE THIS TO HAVE THE STEREO BUTTONS ON THE LEFT SIDE OF YOUR STEERING WHEEL WORK.

iDatalink Maestro ADS-MSW Steering Wheel Control Adapter
Quantity Price Total
1 $39.99 $39.99
PURCHASE THIS TO HAVE THE STEREO BUTTONS ON THE LEFT SIDE OF YOUR STEERING WHEEL WORK.

So the final comment:
equipment $829.95
installation $300.00
Total $1129.95
Cost of new Lexus: $34,000
Savings: $32,870.05
30Times100 (05-01-20)