ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

New to me 04 ES330 Needs Fob or Start

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-17, 11:00 AM
Trusse12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile New to me 04 ES330 Needs Fob or Start

Just got this car, and I really like it.
There is no remote key for it though.
I see in some threads that you can get a key and program it yourself and other threads say it doesn't work.
Do I have to go to the dealership?
Can I just get an aftermarket remote start system installed instead of having to pay lexus?
Thanks for your expertise
Old 04-24-17, 09:45 AM
VicSWFL
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Greetings:

I have a 2003 ES

300 which I purchased two years ago. I wanted a second (non-remote) master key and a "wallet" key. I did not have the key code. I found 1010Keys on ebay and they made the keys from a photo of my key and provided me with the key code and easy instructions to program the keys. I also reprogrammed my remote key in case there was a duplicate with the previous owner(s) that could open and operate my car. 1010Keys was inexpensive and did a great job. I don't know much about the remote start systems except some friends in Michigan had them installed on their relatively new Japanese cars for about $150 each (not at a dealer).

Good luck,

Vic
Fort Myers, Florida
2003 ES300 Millennium Silver w/115K miles

Old 04-27-17, 08:02 AM
Trusse12
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the tip.
Just ordered the Fob from 1010
I'll worry about the starter later
Old 05-08-17, 10:34 PM
netlander
Driver School Candidate

I got the key cut from ebay, and they did a great job by just looking at the photos I submit. The virgin fob also from ebay needs to be programmed by series of step involving number of shutting doors and pressing brakes. Timing of steps are critical. Two parts of fob programming. One is for opening door/trunk, another for starting the car. I managed to program one key completely but was frustrated on second & third keys. Finally, I looked at craigslist and paid someone total of $75 to program all other fob keys. He uses some kind of electronic device to program the fobs. Looking back, I would have just started with craigslist first. Keys still working great after 5 years, and counting.

Last edited by netlander; 05-08-17 at 10:40 PM.
Old 05-08-17, 11:32 PM
Trusse12
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

So just as an update I purchased key / remote from 1010
My assumption was that it would just work with a few instructions.
That's not exactly how it went.
The key has 3 functions
1 remote unlocks the car
2 key is cut to fit the car
3 sensor in key interacts and give a handshake to car to say it's ok to start the car

In my case# 2 went perfect the key fit the ignition
#1 was a bit of a challenge because the instructions for my car were not quite rite. I contacted them and they sent me additional information that made number 1 eventually work (though the cheaper keys do not work from across the parking lot like the factory keys just fyi)
#3 is what I am currently struggling with. I just want one key to open my door, turn in the ignition and start the car. So far I have 1 and 2 but I have to switch keys to the grey key to start the car.
After checking with a few local locksmiths who could not understand why a company would provide me with a key and remote but not a chip (and they would not work with someone elses key) I said OK how much for you to just do 1 2 and 3??? $250 Ok thanks....click

So I did a little youtube research and came up with a software called techstream which should allow me to program the chip (it's about $25)

So I'm going to order it and let you know. Sounds like a better solution then 250per key
Old 05-09-17, 07:17 PM
Barnabas
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, I am having the same problem? I bought the car and only came with the Valet key and I bought keys from Amazon but the dealership told me I need to buy original keys which cost $200. Can I just program my keys with the Valet? or do I need to reflash the computer in order for them to work properly?
Old 05-10-17, 12:22 AM
nsghtbrwry
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Barnabas
Hi, I am having the same problem? I bought the car and only came with the Valet key and I bought keys from Amazon but the dealership told me I need to buy original keys which cost $200. Can I just program my keys with the Valet? or do I need to reflash the computer in order for them to work properly?
Not exactly sure about the 4ES, but it should be the same as the 3ES: You cannot program new master keys if you only have a valet key. As in, you need to already have a master key programmed/registered with the computer to program additional ones. You'll need a dealer at the least, maybe Techstream can do it (not sure on this).