ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Potentially dumb Q-- anyone regret new struts?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-16, 10:53 AM
jaredmac11
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Potentially dumb Q-- anyone regret new struts?

1997 ES300

I have most of the pieces to update my front end (the affordable ones anyways), excluding control arms, struts and springs. I already put new ball joints in the existing arms.

I have $400 worth of KYB struts and KYB mounts in my Amazon shopping cart and I'm *this* close to pulling the trigger.

Does anyone regret doing struts on their 15+ year old car? Also, how are KYB struts? I hear 'they are great!' 'Use OEM!' back and forth.

Last edited by jaredmac11; 11-09-16 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-09-16, 03:16 PM
deez188
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they haven't been replaced of late, then yes replacing suspension components that have been in use for that duration of time would be a vast improvement

KYB is a preferred brand as a NON GEN option

I myself when the time comes will be replacing the front and rear struts with GENUINE ones on my early model ES300 (much more pricey ) Main reason for doing so is I want to keep the vehicle as stock as possible with as many genuine replacement parts as I can. Otherwise I would be using KYB
Old 11-09-16, 04:47 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

Loved my KYB struts, hated the mounts. Some people have better experiences than others though because I'm pretty sure they contract out for the mounts so it's a luck of the dream type deal
Old 11-09-16, 06:14 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

I haven't heard good things about KYB mounts. If yours aren't clunking, reuse the OEM ones.
The KYB struts are fairly popular. They do have a stiffer than OEM ride on the ES.

CL member Oro has put KYB's on his 02 ES if I recall, perhaps he can chime on.
Old 11-09-16, 06:35 PM
jaredmac11
Driver

Ive heard the KYB are super stiff, almost like track car, performance types... So I dont know which I want. Quick-Strut, OESpectrum, or the Excel-G.. Reviews here are wildly inconsistent. Some are junk, some are great...

And unfortunately, the whole right side is show. I hear clunks at low speed turns and there is a rattle.. Im hoping the rattle can be resolved with new lower or upper insulators.
Old 11-09-16, 06:58 PM
surgeon0
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sure. If you like replacing more often, Quick-Strut is what you want. Excel-G is stiff for some time but after they ease up, they are fine. Usually discussions are lengthy on Monroe vs KYB. Lots of people like Monroe for less stiffness but do not last long. Where available, additional assemblies of name brand are KYB Strut Plus, Moog, and Detroit Axle.

To date, I have tried KYB Strut Plus ONCE, never again (bad mounts). Always used individual KYB struts with OEM components in every other vehicle we owned/own.
Old 11-09-16, 07:12 PM
jaredmac11
Driver

Originally Posted by surgeon0
Sure. If you like replacing more often, Quick-Strut is what you want. Excel-G is stiff for some time but after they ease up, they are fine. Usually discussions are lengthy on Monroe vs KYB. Lots of people like Monroe for less stiffness but do not last long. Where available, additional assemblies of name brand are KYB Strut Plus, Moog, and Detroit Axle.

To date, I have tried KYB Strut Plus ONCE, never again (bad mounts). Always used individual KYB struts with OEM components in every other vehicle we owned/own.
I think Ill take a chance on the stiffness of the KYB. And the OEM mounts cost more than the darn struts I guess doing it right the first time beats having to pay double later... but damn, $85 for a mount is a bitter pill./
Old 11-09-16, 07:20 PM
surgeon0
Pit Crew

Howcome new mounts? Are you not able to reuse the current oem mounts? Of course I live in SoCal so I do not have rust or salt problem. Just wondering. If your mounts are not rusted or have some other issue, normally reuse. Our corolla mount had bearing in it. Our avalon and camry have separate mount and bearing. Etc. I usually check out the broken parts (bearing, boot, bumper) and order in advance. Thats about it.
Old 11-09-16, 07:56 PM
jaredmac11
Driver

Originally Posted by surgeon0
Howcome new mounts? Are you not able to reuse the current oem mounts? Of course I live in SoCal so I do not have rust or salt problem. Just wondering. If your mounts are not rusted or have some other issue, normally reuse. Our corolla mount had bearing in it. Our avalon and camry have separate mount and bearing. Etc. I usually check out the broken parts (bearing, boot, bumper) and order in advance. Thats about it.
Front left may be okay, but front right, I get a clunk when turning. It could be CV shaft assembly, but I have a hunch its the mount. I could be wrong.
Old 11-09-16, 08:08 PM
surgeon0
Pit Crew

Yeah I guess that works. Usually when you order online, you can return unused part with restocking fee. The clunk might be outer tie rod end, ball joint, cv joint, mount, or another loose part. Normally if CV goes bad, on turning it is a click-click.
Old 11-10-16, 01:06 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by jaredmac11
1997 ES300

I have most of the pieces to update my front end (the affordable ones anyways), excluding control arms, struts and springs. I already put new ball joints in the existing arms.

I have $400 worth of KYB struts and KYB mounts in my Amazon shopping cart and I'm *this* close to pulling the trigger.

Does anyone regret doing struts on their 15+ year old car? Also, how are KYB struts? I hear 'they are great!' 'Use OEM!' back and forth.
My best advice to you is to lose the KYB mounts and purchase OEM. Do some searching on Lexus and Toyota DIY forums and you will understand why. I installed KYB struts on all four corners on my 99 RX300 and Avalon. Do not regret it as results were excellent. On first job I bought KYB mounts and knew they were junk immediately. Returned them and bought OEM based on forum advice. KYB sources their mounts from 3rd parties around the world. The first two I got came from different countries and looked entirely different from each other speaking to KYB's lack of quality control.
Old 11-10-16, 07:54 AM
mugencivic
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know the main topic is KYB's, but has anyone tried Gabriel's? debating to lower the car with lowering springs but if i go that route I've noticed that they have roughly a longer 2in travel and also roughly about 1.5in shorter than KYB, Monroe & Excel-G. anyone have input or info about Gabriel's?
Old 11-10-16, 09:31 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by mugencivic
I know the main topic is KYB's, but has anyone tried Gabriel's? debating to lower the car with lowering springs but if i go that route I've noticed that they have roughly a longer 2in travel and also roughly about 1.5in shorter than KYB, Monroe & Excel-G. anyone have input or info about Gabriel's?
Better to start a new thread, especially for future searches by others with same question.
Old 11-10-16, 03:32 PM
jaredmac11
Driver

Another Q, what are the strut bumper? Is that OEM only or should they be picked up? Item #13
http://www.partswebsite.com/oemlexus...magecallout=13
Old 11-10-16, 04:24 PM
jaredmac11
Driver

This is what I priced out, price includes boots, insulator if necessary.

OEM struts & mounts: 500
KYB Struts & mounts: 320 (390 with OEM mounts)
Monroe Quick-Strut: 250
Monroe OE Spectrum and KYB mounts: 270 (340 with OEM mounts)

I dont think its worth getting the KYB mounts even though they are about $70 cheaper total for pair.

Im gonna sleep on it and make a choice. I plan to use the car for 2 years so quick-strut MAY work. Monroe OESpectrum could be a good compromise. but KYB seems most ideal.

Last edited by jaredmac11; 11-10-16 at 04:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Potentially dumb Q-- anyone regret new struts?