ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Flashing "drive" light indicator

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-16, 08:11 AM
BrendaDnNC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Flashing "drive" light indicator

Hi, everyone. I have a 1999 ES 300 with a little less than 80,000 miles on it. Automatic transmission (my first one!). I'm the second owner--had it for about a year.

Recently I have noticed that the "D" light on the dashboard *sometimes* flickers or flashes while I'm driving. No other lights are on (at that time), like the CEL, VSC, etc. (Those lights have come on WITHOUT the flickering "D" light, in the past. My mechanic and I are chasing that down.)

I have a code reader w/ Bluetooth, but did not think to check it because the "D" light is not a warning light--like CEL or VSC are.

I do have the occasional problem with the car running rough/hesitating in 1st and 2nd gears. I *have not yet* noticed a correlation between the "D" light flickering/flashing and the car having run rough in those lower gears. But maybe I need to pay closer attention to this?

What do you think might be causing the flickering/flashing "D" (drive) light indicator on my dash? Thanks.

Brenda
Old 10-03-16, 08:54 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Check the light bulb....
Old 10-03-16, 09:09 AM
WILLYumD
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

As BDSL mentioned, the bulb's probably on its way out.

Taking the instrument cluster out is easy, the worst part will be having to do it twice because you put the bulb in the wrong way haha.

And by running rough in the low gears, what do you mean?
Old 10-03-16, 10:03 AM
BrendaDnNC
Driver School Candidate

Default Dashbord "D" light flickering/flashing

OK. I'm kinda shocked, here. A light bulb?

First, let me make sure I've made myself clear. I'm not talking about the "D" indicator down on the gear shift panel. I'm talking about the "D" up on the dash board, along with the speedometer, the gas gauge, and the dark row where all of the idiot lights come on when something (like CEL or VSC) is amiss.

You want me to take that entire dashboard panel off and replace a light bulb? I mean...what do you mean by the "instrument cluster"? If you mean the shifter, then you're not thinking of the correct "D" light. If you mean the dashboard instrument cluster,....Ugh.

Second, if the light bulb was going out, wouldn't it flash/flicker ALL the time, when I'm driving it, instead of only sometimes?

Needless to say, my mechanic will do whatever work needs to be done. What I was hoping to find out from y'all is whether this sounds like a "something is REALLY screwy...get to the mechanic fast" kind of deal, or a "eh...something is a bit off, but it doesn't sound like it's particularly dangerous to the well-being of your car or you" kind of thing. A light bulb in the dashboard sounds like one of those "eh" things, but I'm not sure that the theory makes sense to me given that the "D" flashes intermittently and most of the time is just fine.

What do I mean by "running rough in the lower gears"? I mean that sometimes the shift from neutral to 1st gear and 1st gear to 2nd gear is "choppy" instead of smooth. If this were a stick instead of an automatic, I'd say that I wasn't releasing the clutch in time with depressing the gas pedal, so my progress between gears kind of lurches. Since this is NOT a stick.... All I can tell you is, it is ***SOMETIMES*** choppy/lurching.

Thanks. Your experience with this particular make and model of car is great to have. (Having driven a stick for 40 years, I find that I'm hesitant about what could happen to an automatic transmission. Just don't know what to watch out for.)

Brenda
Old 10-03-16, 10:35 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,740 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Removing the cluster on your ES is really easy about as simple as it gets for a car. The bulb could be intermittent or maybe the socket is not twisted in all the way, another cause could be the neutral safety switch (on the transmission) it may need to be removed and cleaned. WARNING: Do NOT remove the cluster and turn on the key if you do this the airbag light will be triggered and will have to be reset. On your transmission sounds like it could benefit from the pan dropped filter and fluid replaced.
Old 10-03-16, 10:59 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BrendaDnNC
OK. I'm kinda shocked, here. A light bulb?

First, let me make sure I've made myself clear. I'm not talking about the "D" indicator down on the gear shift panel. I'm talking about the "D" up on the dash board, along with the speedometer, the gas gauge, and the dark row where all of the idiot lights come on when something (like CEL or VSC) is amiss.

You want me to take that entire dashboard panel off and replace a light bulb? I mean...what do you mean by the "instrument cluster"? If you mean the shifter, then you're not thinking of the correct "D" light. If you mean the dashboard instrument cluster,....Ugh.

Second, if the light bulb was going out, wouldn't it flash/flicker ALL the time, when I'm driving it, instead of only sometimes?

Needless to say, my mechanic will do whatever work needs to be done. What I was hoping to find out from y'all is whether this sounds like a "something is REALLY screwy...get to the mechanic fast" kind of deal, or a "eh...something is a bit off, but it doesn't sound like it's particularly dangerous to the well-being of your car or you" kind of thing. A light bulb in the dashboard sounds like one of those "eh" things, but I'm not sure that the theory makes sense to me given that the "D" flashes intermittently and most of the time is just fine.

What do I mean by "running rough in the lower gears"? I mean that sometimes the shift from neutral to 1st gear and 1st gear to 2nd gear is "choppy" instead of smooth. If this were a stick instead of an automatic, I'd say that I wasn't releasing the clutch in time with depressing the gas pedal, so my progress between gears kind of lurches. Since this is NOT a stick.... All I can tell you is, it is ***SOMETIMES*** choppy/lurching.

Thanks. Your experience with this particular make and model of car is great to have. (Having driven a stick for 40 years, I find that I'm hesitant about what could happen to an automatic transmission. Just don't know what to watch out for.)

Brenda
Hi Brenda,
The cluster is fairly easy to remove....I had taken it out to replace one burnt out bulb on my 97 ES300 with +280k miles.
As for your transmission issue, when was the last time the fluid was checked and changed?
And lastly, driving for 40 years doesn't mean anything. My parents, grandparents, and others have been driving much longer than I have. That doesn't mean they are better driver and more knowledgeable about drive train than me.....
Good luck.
Old 10-03-16, 02:00 PM
BrendaDnNC
Driver School Candidate

OK. Well, I have no idea what a "cluster" is, but my mechanic will. As long as the issue is not likely to be a serious one, it can wait until I visit him the next time, or happen to be passing his direction.

As for being a better driver...that's not what I meant. I just meant that having driven a stick for 40 years, I'm more familiar with some of what can happen with a standard transmission than I am with an automatic transmission. Because I'm not a car gal. I just drive 'em...don't repair 'em! But I do try to be somewhat informed, so I can take care of my vehicles. Not very informed about automatic transmissions.

I don't know about the transmission fluid, but it is checked whenever I have my oil changed and I believe it's been topped off relatively recently. However, I will check to make sure.

Thanks.
Old 10-03-16, 02:18 PM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

I don't know about the transmission fluid, but it is checked whenever I have my oil changed and I believe it's been topped off relatively recently. However, I will check to make sure.
Don't assume these "mechanics" will check and/or put in the right fluid.
When in doubt, check your owner's manual for transmission fluid type and change interval.
Especially on old vehicles, you have to check more often. Fluids can leak and/or be consumed faster than a new vehicle.
Old 10-03-16, 02:41 PM
WILLYumD
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

And especially on an old vehicle, the transmission is likely worn. If the fluid was not regularly changed over the car's lifetime, you'll have a very worn tranny that will not be as smooth (and a transmission flush will likely worsen symptoms).

And the cluster is just the unit where everything is stored, as in the temperature gauge, tachometer, speedometer, fuel gauge. It's one "piece" or cluster, so-to-speak, that is fairly easy to remove.
Old 10-03-16, 03:12 PM
BrendaDnNC
Driver School Candidate

Ahh..... I learn stuff. Thanks. Now I know that a cluster can be more than grapes and outbreaks of the flu.

I will double-check the transmission fluid. Or maybe make it a point to go to my mechanic. Seriously. He's an old-school, shade-tree (used to be) mechanic that has spent 40 years working on cars. He's forgotten more than most people know about cars. I've gone to him for probably close to 15 years, and trust him implicitly. He's not the one who does my oil changes, though, so I will go to him and ask about the transmission fluid status and the light bulb thing.

Thanks, everyone.
Old 10-04-16, 06:12 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Ahh..... I learn stuff. Thanks. Now I know that a cluster can be more than grapes and outbreaks of the flu.

I will double-check the transmission fluid. Or maybe make it a point to go to my mechanic. Seriously. He's an old-school, shade-tree (used to be) mechanic that has spent 40 years working on cars. He's forgotten more than most people know about cars. I've gone to him for probably close to 15 years, and trust him implicitly. He's not the one who does my oil changes, though, so I will go to him and ask about the transmission fluid status and the light bulb thing.

Thanks, everyone.
I have learn not to trust people anymore (whether when it comes to cars, home renovation/maintenance, investment, taking care of my baby). I read the owner's manual and follow the maintenance schedule specified within. Some people just give the worst advises....

I have an idiot colleague that told me to bath my new born everyday and don't use the AC during the summer. Having attending a few prenatal classes and read some books, I know he doesn't know *****....He also thought that mother can pump enough milk for the entire day at one sitting....I told him my wife is not a cow....
Old 10-04-16, 06:36 AM
BrendaDnNC
Driver School Candidate

Geez, BDSL, when I was nursing, for a while I had trouble producing enough milk for a single good feeding for my very big, healthy baby. (It eventually came in, but took a few days of lots of nursing!)

I do trust Danny (my mechanic). He's earned that trust with his past actions. When he retires, I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

I did noticed, reading my manual in light of everyone's comments on this Forum (this thread and others) that the manual suggests a slightly higher octane gas than the low-octane I've been using. I may try a few tankfuls of "plus" grade and see if that reduces some of the other small issues I've been having with the car.
Old 10-04-16, 07:21 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Geez, BDSL, when I was nursing, for a while I had trouble producing enough milk for a single good feeding for my very big, healthy baby. (It eventually came in, but took a few days of lots of nursing!)

I do trust Danny (my mechanic). He's earned that trust with his past actions. When he retires, I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

I did noticed, reading my manual in light of everyone's comments on this Forum (this thread and others) that the manual suggests a slightly higher octane gas than the low-octane I've been using. I may try a few tankfuls of "plus" grade and see if that reduces some of the other small issues I've been having with the car.
As for the gas, many members have no issues running regular gas. As for myself, I have tried both premium and regular.
On regular gas, my fuel consumption isn't as good but I still spend less $. On a hot summer day under high load (hard acceleration), once in a while, I do feel timing/ignition retardation.
But as I only drive in mostly city and don't accelerate hard, I stick with regular gas.
At the end of the day, some people have no problem with using regular gas. It all depends on the engine, driver, load, ambient condition, etc....
When in doubt, just stick with premium gas.
Old 10-04-16, 07:45 AM
BrendaDnNC
Driver School Candidate

Well, I noticed some code issues that popped up during the hot, very humid summer months. But though I'm expecting them to pop up again any day now, they are not appearing. The weather has cooled, though, and the humidity is less. I may try a higher-octane gas next summer and see if that helps the car be happier.
Old 10-04-16, 08:59 AM
GhostCar
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Personally, higher octane gas in a car that doesn't require it is a waste of money. All gas contains detergents, no matter the octane. Your car isn't designed for ( or high enough compression to warrant) premium gas. If you want to clean the fuel system, try a good fuel injector/fuel system cleaner a couple times a year. Also, I believe member 285EXP has demonstrated in another related thread that the added cost doesn't tend to be made up by significant gains in mpg. Feel free to do your own research. Your mileage may in fact, vary...

Quick Reply: Flashing "drive" light indicator