ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Instrument Panel Lights Dimming

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-03, 04:25 PM
Jayson
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by lexusk8
Well if you were to try to bang on the clear plastic cover, then you'd end up possibly cracking the plastic

As some of us have experienced, we usually wack the black plastic cover that's located between the clear plastic cover and the steering wheel. It's also the plastic piece that covers the odometer trip buttons. Let us know if you have any luck with it.
I banged the plastic trim piece with no luck last Friday. I will try again tonight. My SC400 is a 1995 with 87K miles on it. Could it be that the dash lights are just needing to be replaced? My red needles are as bright as ever, thank goodness because I have heard how expensive that job is!
Old 11-07-04, 06:40 AM
mZp3Rv
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hehehe..simple stuff! just whack it! LOL im gonna give it a try with my 92 ES300 becuase im having the same problems with the gauge cluster back light and the needles. i'll let u folks know if it workd on my car to.
Old 05-09-05, 11:50 AM
P_M_G
Pit Crew

Exclamation

Hey CLers....

I'm doing the GB from Lextech but I'm having trouble removing the cluster...

I have the link that shows how to remove it for the GS, but my '94 ES has a different dimmer housing panel - it goes all around the plastic and I'm afraid of breaking something......

I gotta get this out today so please please please help!.

EDIT

Nevermind...found the "key" to opening the little trap doors on the top to reveal the 2 screws

Last edited by P_M_G; 05-09-05 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-20-05, 10:00 AM
L. L. S.
Former Sponsor

LLS provides instructions for the Sc, similar to the ES for future reference.

http://lextech.org/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=67&

Hopefully they will be helpful to someone
Old 11-30-06, 03:59 PM
ebnub
Driver School Candidate

lol... funny thread but yeah, it actually works.
Old 12-20-06, 08:13 PM
ndnxtc
Driver School Candidate

Holy ****, it really does work. I was skeptical at first, but read a few positive results and did it and it worked on first whack. Now just gotta figure out my A/C cluster lights
Old 12-22-06, 04:14 AM
Pogo
Driver School Candidate

I am leery of banging on dashes and such.

I fixed the stereo this way long ago. The stereo worked great after that, but the crisp snap of the dash cracking open sounded harsh.

Having a cracked dash was bad enough, but I swear sometimes the dash spoke in the middle of the night, mocking and taunting me for my foolishness...
Old 12-22-06, 05:40 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pogo
I am leery of banging on dashes and such.

I fixed the stereo this way long ago. The stereo worked great after that, but the crisp snap of the dash cracking open sounded harsh.

Having a cracked dash was bad enough, but I swear sometimes the dash spoke in the middle of the night, mocking and taunting me for my foolishness...
After doing this whack repair, my dash spoke to me and said, "Thank's, I needed that"!
Old 08-22-09, 08:59 PM
wes lex
Driver School Candidate

Oops! I replaced the led backlighting thanks to the Lexucan thread. I went with the blue led bulbs, it looks great... but my speedometer and tachometer needles are not moving. This was not a problem before I took the cluster out and replaced the bulbs for the instrument panel, I didn't touch the needles. After this problem occurred I made sure that the wiring harnesses were on tight and I'm not sure where to look next. Both the gas and temperature needles are working. I have a 1993 es330

Last edited by wes lex; 08-22-09 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-23-10, 06:30 PM
capnfred
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this is an old thread, but it is a common recurring problem with the clusters on these cars.... the back lighting is done through incandescent bulb which make contact with the printed ckt on the back of the cluster (behind the circuit board)....the contacts are copper,,,, a thin film of corrosion forms on the ckt traces... and this results in a shaky connection between the little fingers on the light socket and the printed circuit. the long term fix it to :

remove the cluter
remove the pcb
take a picture of the locations of the bulbs,
there are different colors , sizes.. etc
remove the bulb holders
using a pencil eraser burnish the contacts on the printed ckt and the bulbs (tech talk for rubbing the eraser over the surface
clean the copper with ethyl alchohal (hi proof liquor) grain, or vodky, not flavored
reassemble everything referring to the pics...
you should be good to go... if this does not work then I find a closed fist to the top of dash close to area that is dark.....works for me
Old 08-23-10, 11:04 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^Theres only so much you can do. My front turn signals need that every few months
Old 05-07-13, 10:20 PM
Copper_Hed
Rookie

Originally Posted by squarehat
The whacking method will only fix a loose backlight bulb (in the cluster or the A/C, radio displays). The needles are LED arrays, and eventually need replacement. If you look in the SC300/400 forums (the 92-00 SC has the same type of dash as the 92-96 ES), you'll find a very informative thread written by onelasttry, who is an electrical engineer.
Searched and searched but could not find it. Link? Really need to fix the lighted needles thx.
The following users liked this post:
gwkasza (01-09-21)
Old 05-10-13, 02:54 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Copper, a solution to your needles goin out? How about refurbished..http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/taninauto1/library/
Old 05-18-13, 09:11 AM
Copper_Hed
Rookie

Wow, now that's a bizarre coincidence!! I searched the internet and found YOU from other links...
I bought a refurb from you, and installed it the day I received it!

The unit is bright and clear, cost of the refurb is less than what the needles themselves cost, and there's a 5 year warranty!
This is an unsolicited endorsement. Tanin Auto's refurb units are the best way to cure all the gauge lighting problems.

A word of warning re the "whacking" method:
When I went to remove the trim ring, one of the fastener wells was broken off and broken in pieces.
I did mange to repair and reinforce it with plastic epoxy.
Old 10-16-15, 10:08 PM
1es300
Driver School Candidate

I got a 95 es, and the lights were out by the tach, 1/2 the speedo, the gas gauge and the temp. I hit it a few times and it came back. now I have to do something about the red lights on the speedo and tach. Thanks guys...

Quick Reply: Instrument Panel Lights Dimming