ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2003 es300 running hot please tell me i'm not screwed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-16, 11:39 PM
idream08
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 es300 running hot please tell me i'm not screwed!

I noticed my car smoking from the hood on weds. I checked fluids thurs. all was fine except the reserve tank was completely dry, the radiator was too hot for me liking so i got an oil change which was 1.5k over due but the oil didn't look noticeably different. instead of my usual tires plus or Lexus i took it to jiffy lube. Never mind me noticing that night one of my fog lights all of a sudden didn't work again, not even flickering this time, nothing. one of the little small lights above the headlight was all of sudden out and they informed me both tag lights were out......the night before i'm sure one tag light worked, and both fogs worked. I will say the lights in question are leds are weren't installed professionally so maybe its loose or something.....but as of now that's irrelevant.. What i'm concerned about it they told me no leaks and the smoke was probably coming from coolant being empty. the supposedly topped me off, i went to the car was that night and noticed my reservoir tank empty. i'm thinking maybe they didn't want to feel it up with the expensive antifreeze so i added 50/50 green which i initially used 3 months ago and no problem. Well 2 days later i'm sitting in parking lot on a phone call and i see my temp gauge 1 notch from the top. i turn off car, i really didn't see much smoke but i'm an hour from home. i wait 30 minutes and the gage is a little about normal (halfway) but quickly goes down as i cruise, long story short at lights it would creep up after being driven for an hour or 2. I clearly see fluid, looks like water leaking very fast on the pan you take off to get to the fog lights. The last time the gage went up at busy traffic light i missed twice, i sped home doing 75 in a 35 but this time it didn't seem to go down as fast. It seemed to linger 1 or 2 notches above half and minimal smoke from the hood but enough to be worried and embarrassed. i'm attaching the best pics i could, unfortunately my phone was under 5% and i couldn't use flash....

radiator
water pump
thermostat
or??

something is leaking and very fast. the reserve tank is bone dry every couple hours.

Could it have possibly been something they did during the oil change? well it was smoking before and they said i was dry on coolant but no leaks. i'm only concerned because all of a sudden lights don't work and the girl try'd to sell me windshield wipers when i just bought the most expensive wipers i ever owned 6 months ago. i don't know.....
Attached Thumbnails 2003 es300 running hot please tell me i'm not screwed!-clipboard04.jpg   2003 es300 running hot please tell me i'm not screwed!-clipboard01.jpg  
Old 03-13-16, 01:38 AM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your Water Pump is Leaking.

You will need a new water pump, it is a DIY thing so if you are handy, just do it and take note of where each bolt comes out of, they are different lengths.

I also suggest you completely flush the system and use the Toyota RED fluid, the green stuff will corrode your components i.e. water pump.

If you can not do it right away, buy couple of gallons of distilled water and use that instead of the green stuff.

Sorry to say it will not get better so prepare to swap it sooner than later you do not want to blow your head gasket or worse warp your heads.

Autozone has a lifetime warranty on their pumps and comes with the gasket. Also consider replacing the thermostat and cap, the green stuff probably effected those as well.

J
Old 03-13-16, 07:24 AM
idream08
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow , im on my own, i have to drive 40 miles roundtrip. I really have no option except call in until Friday. I dont have any experience with water pumps. At first it appeared to quickly go down once i started driving but the last time it hung a notch or above half. I only had to drive 3 minutes. ....but is this something i csn nurse for 5 days long as i dont sit in traffic or at too many lights? Or is the temp gsge gonna continue to rise the longer i drive.

Is it ok to just put water in reserve i had a pretty rough scare years ago removing radiator top.

None of those products at autostore patch things up? I bought thermostat 2 months ago after check engine code reading and my temp gage didnt hardly go past 2nd notch thats when i realized i was out of fluid. Only place open was Walmart they had 50/50 green. I called an associate who has 2 lexus and he said 50/50 wouldn't hurt since all the red was depleted. After 2 days the temp gage was back to normal and engine light just went off!

No im no mechanically inclined at all, not even the basics so ill have to let someone else do it. Is this a job i can let a backyard Mechanic handle? Dont think its the radiator?

Thanks
Old 03-13-16, 07:58 AM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me address each question:

1. 5 days, yes. Like I wrote get DISTILLED WATER, do not use regular tap water.. 5 days so get 5 gallons or as much as you think you might need. and top off before and after driving.

2. The trick in putting in fluid when engine is hot is to leave the car on, yes idling, this equalizes the pressure because the pump is pumping away. but use a old clean rag ( cap is hot) and disposable gloves and open slowly, some fluid will spll out but that is just residue on the cap. Normally we just fill up the reservoir but in your case you are going empty. So if you plan to drive her, you must do this task every day

3. There is no patch for this, the pump has a weeping hole built into it when there is something wrong with your system. Probably occurred prior to your thermostat swap. Your friend s wrong, The system when it dumps only removed 60-65% of fluid, you have fluid sitting in the engine and heater core. NEVER USE GREEN STUFF it does not mix with the red stuff and will turn into a thick GEL in your car. You definitely need to flush. This requires flushing 5-6 times until you see all the green stuff out of the car. Read up on it.

Yes, a backyard mechanic can do this if they are familiar with Toyota's or any Japanese cars. But when he flushes, make sure he does it 5-6 times or when only water dumps out. Please make sure you dispose of the old fluid responsibly

Another trick to keep her cool while driving.

SHUT the Engine off at long stops.
While driving and you see it creep up past the middle or normal temps, lower all windows, turn on the defrost full blast as the heater core works like a mini radiator.

Break a Leg.

Jim