ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

1994 ES300 Running Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-16, 04:17 PM
tgr6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 ES300 Running Issue

I bought a 1994 ES300 with 126,000 in Jan 2016.

It wasn't running due to battery and "Other" problem not found by previous owner.

I'm a pretty good mechanic, but mostly on carbureted cars, so thought I would take a chance because of low miles and good price.

Started with basic tune-up...

6 new plugs with back 3 C.O.P.'s replaced when air horn was off...Air Filter...PCV Valve...Oil Change.

The car did start, but only after much effort.

Hard starting...no power...spit and sputter...mild back fire...would die if given too much pedal.

Checked the front 3 C.O.P.'s by disconnecting wires for engine drop. All front cop's OK.

The check engine light was on now that I had a charged battery and was able to let it run for a while.

I found a link to the codes and the paper clip jump at the diagnostic box in engine bay and under steering wheel to make the light flash the codes. But the light would not flash. Just steadily on.

After snooping around the internet I found a thread to the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor),and wiki of the part on the last line said...

"In case of failure of the TPS operation the CHECK ENGINE light remains illuminated even if there is no problem or error in the ECU. It cannot be corrected by clearing ECU errors by running diagnostic software. In order to rectify the malfunction the TPS needs to be replaced by a new one."

After reading this, I thought the check engine light wasn't flashing any codes because there weren't any codes stored in the ECU to flash. The problem was just a broke TPS.

I replaced the TPS without adjustment (there is an hour long YouTube video on function, replacement and how to calibrate the TPS, as you well know sends an electric value to the ECM as to the position of the throttle and should be calibrated correctly). I just put it in the middle of the range.

Still the same thing on how the car is running...

Hard starting...no power...spit and sputter...mild back fire...would die if given too much pedal.

Any thoughts on why I can't get the Check Engine Light to flash codes and/or why the car is running the way it is??

Last edited by tgr6; 03-10-16 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-10-16, 09:17 PM
DRACO A5OG
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh my.

Well, if I may suggest:

Issue #1
For the Hard Start, it may be the starter going bad due to worn out internals, pretty easy to refurb with the eBay kits out there.

No Power, Spit and Sputter:
I would check fuel pressure via fuel pressure regulator for leaks, clogged fuel filter or the injectors clogged or leaking.

Check all hoses, at this age the vacuum lines are pretty brittle and could be leaking, especially the one going to the Throttle Body
Old 03-10-16, 10:04 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,740 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Also get yourself an OBD-II code reader, yes the 1994 is OBD-II no blinking codes.