ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Techstream Diagnostic Software Demonstration

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-15, 07:36 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Techstream Diagnostic Software Demonstration

I just wanted to drop by and add to this forum my experience with Techstream software. Its awesome!

Toyota Techstream is the diagnostic software that dealerships use to program features on your car, as well as diagnose and troubleshoot problems.

There's a lot you can customize with it, especially for newer Lexus (Gen 4+ ES) that have CAN bus, including lights, door locks, windows, programming remotes and keys and security systems.

It will still work with the older ES300's but you won't have customization features, just diagnostic tools and readouts.

I made a short demonstration video on using Techstream on my Lexus ES330:

I bought the cheap mini VCI cable from eBay, $25, it has an OBD connector on one end and USB on the other.

Name:  IMG_4621.jpg
Views: 5020
Size:  160.5 KB

There are a few hurdles to get it working on windows x64, installation instructions can be found here:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73034

I opted (for now) to hook it up to an old Windows XP desktop (literally set it up on my driveway) and the drivers and Techstream installed no problem.

You can do a lot of diagnostics using the cable, such as reading engine, ABS and airbag codes as well as monitor voltage readouts and the position of switches and sensors.

Name:  Techstream%20monitor.jpg
Views: 5206
Size:  226.7 KB

My favorite menu is customizing the door locks. Now one click unlocks all doors. And my doors unlock when I shift back into park, and my dome light illuminates

Name:  Techstream%20customize.jpg
Views: 4776
Size:  192.0 KB

The most exciting thing I've found so far is that I can enable the alarm on base model cars, since Toyota used the same Body ECU across all trims. I was able to do that on my dad's Sienna:

I bought this cable because I was planning on programing some new transponder keys to my ES330 and my brother's GS300. Seeing as we have 4 Toyota/Lexus vehicles on our driveway this cable will come in to good use!
Old 08-18-15, 11:23 PM
ES300NZ
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

are you able to test on an older car, say a 1999 es300 :P , I had issue with this kinda kit in the past (not working), I think you could prove the concept on any car in that general era (from toyota).
Old 08-20-15, 08:14 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ES300NZ
are you able to test on an older car, say a 1999 es300 :P , I had issue with this kinda kit in the past (not working), I think you could prove the concept on any car in that general era (from toyota).
I tried hooking it to a 1999 ES300 and my 1999 Solara. Because these cars were from the era before CAN bus was used on Toyota's cars, customization isn't available.

You still have access to read engine codes, monitor voltages, sensors and readouts, airbag and ABS codes as well as immobilizer / transponder key programming, which is still more advanced than your OBDII reader.
The following users liked this post:
wmj259 (02-22-18)
Old 08-24-15, 11:12 AM
varuscelli
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool.

Can you elaborate a little bit on what the Wiper function allows you to control?

Is it just rewipe time and speed or is there an ability to change functions related to the rain sensor?

Thanks...
Old 08-24-15, 07:42 PM
varuscelli
Driver School Candidate

Another question: What was the cost of the Techstream software itself? And source? (If you don't mind sharing.)

I've seen a bunch of references to Techstream elsewhere in the forum, but since you are mentioning it in regard to the ES330 (my vehicle also), I thought I'd ask.

Thanks...
Old 08-25-15, 08:01 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

The wiper menu is empty in my car. I don't have the automatic wipers.

Link to the software and installation is in the OP. The cable does come with a CD of the software, though mine didn't work and I had to download it from there. Cable cost me $25 from ebay.
Old 08-27-15, 11:05 AM
varuscelli
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, speedkar9. I appreciate the info.

I'll have to do a bit more reading about this. I go off on tangents with all the stuff I want to read on my ES330 and I have enough "to be continued" reading material to keep me busy for weeks.
Old 08-28-15, 01:18 PM
mmatheny
Lexus Test Driver

Will this work with a BlueTooth OBDII reader?
Old 08-28-15, 07:34 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmatheny
Will this work with a BlueTooth OBDII reader?
No, you need the specific Mini VCI cable that the computer will detect as a COM port to communicate to.
Old 04-19-16, 08:28 PM
starbai
Intermediate

Originally Posted by speedkar9
The wiper menu is empty in my car. I don't have the automatic wipers.

Link to the software and installation is in the OP. The cable does come with a CD of the software, though mine didn't work and I had to download it from there. Cable cost me $25 from ebay.
I'm sorry I'm an idiot... but i dont see a link to the software?
Old 04-20-16, 06:39 AM
mmatheny
Lexus Test Driver

In the first post:

Found the cable for $18.90 on eBay here. China, so will take a couple weeks to get in, free shipping:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/291722749895?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Last edited by mmatheny; 04-20-16 at 06:49 AM.
Old 09-01-17, 12:57 PM
laguy1
Driver School Candidate

Default Unable to program my Key using TS. The Comm error occurred between the key and ECU.

I get "Transponder code registration failed.The communication error occurred between key and ECU" message when I try to registrar a new key. I am not sure how many keys are registered in the car. How do I find out the number of registered key. Can I reset the immobilizer without a pass code and register two of my keys? Please help!!!

Originally Posted by speedkar9
I just wanted to drop by and add to this forum my experience with Techstream software. Its awesome!

Toyota Techstream is the diagnostic software that dealerships use to program features on your car, as well as diagnose and troubleshoot problems.

There's a lot you can customize with it, especially for newer Lexus (Gen 4+ ES) that have CAN bus, including lights, door locks, windows, programming remotes and keys and security systems.

It will still work with the older ES300's but you won't have customization features, just diagnostic tools and readouts.

I made a short demonstration video on using Techstream on my Lexus ES330:

Toyota Techstream Software Demonstration - YouTube

I bought the cheap mini VCI cable from eBay, $25, it has an OBD connector on one end and USB on the other.

Attachment 450571

There are a few hurdles to get it working on windows x64, installation instructions can be found here:

I opted (for now) to hook it up to an old Windows XP desktop (literally set it up on my driveway) and the drivers and Techstream installed no problem.

You can do a lot of diagnostics using the cable, such as reading engine, ABS and airbag codes as well as monitor voltage readouts and the position of switches and sensors.

Attachment 450572

My favorite menu is customizing the door locks. Now one click unlocks all doors. And my doors unlock when I shift back into park, and my dome light illuminates

Attachment 450573

The most exciting thing I've found so far is that I can enable the alarm on base model cars, since Toyota used the same Body ECU across all trims. I was able to do that on my dad's Sienna:

Enabling a Toyota Security System on Base Model Cars - YouTube

I bought this cable because I was planning on programing some new transponder keys to my ES330 and my brother's GS300. Seeing as we have 4 Toyota/Lexus vehicles on our driveway this cable will come in to good use!