ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Need an honest opinion on a potential purchase.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-14, 06:20 AM
KingBill42
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need an honest opinion on a potential purchase.

KingBill42
Forums
Subscriptions

Home / GS - Third Generation
Today 01:52 PM by KingBill42
I'll start by saying I don't own a Lexus and I don't know much about how cars run. I'm currently driving a withering 2005 Mazda3, and looking to purchase a new car. My spending amount is around the 10,000 range, and I've come across two possible Lexus.

The first is a 2003 GS300 sport design with about 112k on it.
https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/4742525885.html

The second is a 2005 ES 330 with a little over 90k.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=15202&endYear=2015&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=1981&makeCode1=LEXUS&searchRadius=25&maxPrice=10000&mmt=%5BLEXUS%5B%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=378007924&Log=0

Aesthetically, I like the first better and it seems like it's coming from someone who kept up on maintenance. My prime concern is the 112k mileage, and also that it's RWD(I live in PA, snow+mountains=less than ideal driving conditions).

The we one one I simply just don't like as much.

I looked into consumer reviews of both and they both seem to be consistently above average. My biggest concerns are the age and mileage of the cars. So what I'm asking is if these purchases are worth considering, and which would be the better choice. Prices are listed on the links provided. Also, how are yearly costs of maintenance? I shyed away from a 2005 BMW 325xi because I hear they require a lot of maintenance and I know parts and repairs can be very expensive. And lastly if I were to purchase either car, what are some maintenance things to keep an eye on and check up on regularly?

Any and all advice is appreciated.
Old 11-03-14, 06:38 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I havnt looked at the links your provided, but i twll you this, RW drive sucks in snow. Winter tires are a must have which will set you back around $1000 more or less. Even with winter tires having RW drive is a bit scarry. As far as reliability both are great, i would go with the one that was maintnaced better. 112k is nothing for GS, they are great cars and very smooth. If you dont care for a sportier car then ES imo is a better choice, just my 02
Old 11-03-14, 07:15 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I own both, so let me start of with te GS sucks in the snow. You can get snow tires, and it helps tremendously, but hills, especially starting from a dead stop are a *****. The amount of times I get stuck when I bring this thing to ski country is almost funny. That being said, the ES330 rides smoothe, and is also quieter. It's newer, and you can tell as the GS is based on a car from 1997. The gas mileage is also tremendously better and it will not have nearly as many suspension components to replace as the GS. In that respect, the ES has been a lot cheaper to maintain. The GS300 though seems to be more solid feeling, a little heavier, and a much smoother transmission and power delivery. The suspension. (When fixed) rides well but it is more firm and the steering is heavier, for ex. I like driving it more than the ES, but no one else in my family feels the same. Also the ES will probably have more options Than the GS. They are two completely different cars, and there are days where I prefer over the other, but it really depends. If you like the way the Mazda drives, you may like the GS more, if you want a much quieter and softer ride, it doesn't get much better than an ES, which is also reasonably quick, possibly even quicker than the GS. As for upkeep, neither have been that bad, not as bad as the BMW would be, but the GS without a doubt will cost you much more. On the ES all ta really needed has been brakes and fluids, the GS has gotten an entire front new suspension, a new carrier bearing, new differential, new motor mounts, new servo motor, new HID bulbs, and much more, but it really depends on the car.
Old 11-03-14, 07:19 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Also, both cars will either need or have recently had the timing belt replaced. It's supposed to be done at 90k, but I waited until on my old es300 until 115k. It's not ideal, but you can. It's expensive, but the way I look at it, $600-1000 every 100k miles isn't that bad
Old 11-03-14, 07:27 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

One last thing, that GS is extremely rare, a white on black car, let alone a sport design is very hard to find. The thing is that particular one has been on sale for ever. I visited my friends in Allison Park about 6 months ago, and looking through craigslisr I saw that car. So either it's the seller, the car, or the market. That being said, it could work to our advantage depending on how desperate the person is to sell it after all this time.
Old 11-03-14, 07:50 AM
FastTags
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
One last thing, that GS is extremely rare, a white on black car, let alone a sport design is very hard to find. The thing is that particular one has been on sale for ever. I visited my friends in Allison Park about 6 months ago, and looking through craigslisr I saw that car. So either it's the seller, the car, or the market. That being said, it could work to our advantage depending on how desperate the person is to sell it after all this time.
IMO Most likely its the car, this looks like a fair deal, and in my experience if the price is right the car will be sold. If not, something is wrong
Old 11-03-14, 08:55 AM
wise2k
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 02SDGS
I own both, so let me start of with te GS sucks in the snow. You can get snow tires, and it helps tremendously, but hills, especially starting from a dead stop are a *****. The amount of times I get stuck when I bring this thing to ski country is almost funny. That being said, the ES330 rides smoothe, and is also quieter. It's newer, and you can tell as the GS is based on a car from 1997. The gas mileage is also tremendously better and it will not have nearly as many suspension components to replace as the GS. In that respect, the ES has been a lot cheaper to maintain. The GS300 though seems to be more solid feeling, a little heavier, and a much smoother transmission and power delivery. The suspension. (When fixed) rides well but it is more firm and the steering is heavier, for ex. I like driving it more than the ES, but no one else in my family feels the same. Also the ES will probably have more options Than the GS. They are two completely different cars, and there are days where I prefer over the other, but it really depends. If you like the way the Mazda drives, you may like the GS more, if you want a much quieter and softer ride, it doesn't get much better than an ES, which is also reasonably quick, possibly even quicker than the GS. As for upkeep, neither have been that bad, not as bad as the BMW would be, but the GS without a doubt will cost you much more. On the ES all ta really needed has been brakes and fluids, the GS has gotten an entire front new suspension, a new carrier bearing, new differential, new motor mounts, new servo motor, new HID bulbs, and much more, but it really depends on the car.
^^ What he said; nailed it all.
I would just add that insurance will also be cheaper on the ES. That in addition to better gas mileage with the ES adds up quick. And like he said, suspension components on the GS, especially lower ball joints, wear quicker that your typical car. and could lead to fender damage, ABS speed-sensor damage. And, the 3.3 engine in the ES is newer and has more power than the aging 3.0 in the GS300.

But, bottom line is what you want. Both cars' ages and mileage do not matter much (with good maintenance history and timing belt factor).
If you want firmer/sportier ride with more road-feel, roomier cabin, go with the GS (but more expensive to own). If you want a more smooth ride with a quiet and modern cabin, then the ES is for you (and cheaper to own).
Old 11-03-14, 12:37 PM
Timothyj
Pole Position

I have three ES cars ,two 04 and one 02. Great cars, the 02 has 141000 miles, one 04 has 49000, the other 115000. All run great with very few problems. A lot of parts on a ES are the same as a Camry. with good tires these cars are good in the snow. hope this helps.
Old 11-03-14, 01:48 PM
wise2k
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Timothyj
I have three ES cars ,two 04 and one 02. Great cars, the 02 has 141000 miles, one 04 has 49000, the other 115000. All run great with very few problems. A lot of parts on a ES are the same as a Camry. with good tires these cars are good in the snow. hope this helps.
I concur; only gripe I have is that the VSC/traction control and heated seats are standard with the GS but optional in the ES. My 03 ES doesn't have either But, on the flip side I think that the VSC mostly came with the ones that has adjustable suspension which I'm kinda glad I don't have because of the expense associated with its failure.
Old 11-03-14, 04:11 PM
bullrider
Rookie

My .02 - I don't own a GS but I do own a 2005 ES330. I paid the same price as the one in your CL link, $8000 - and mine has 150,000 miles on it. But I did buy mine from a Lexus dealer - they don't wholesale the cars that are worthy of selling there. The one in your CL link is at a 'bad credit / no credit' used car dealer and that would tend to put me off. (I was rather amazed to find that the Lexus dealer had small flat screen TV's in the wall in the men's room above the urinals. Holy smokes.)

Rear wheel drive as others have said is lousy in the snow. The ES330 will be a much more competent car year round and more comfortable most likely. I have no worries about buying any Lexus (in good shape) with over 100K as these cars routinely go way beyond 200,000. In my case I only put a few thousand miles a year on my car and 150K on mine doesn't bother me at all. When I mentioned to the salesman that I'd read that a Lexus can easily go 250,000 miles or more if kept up, he showed me a photo on his cellphone from one of his customers. The guy is waiting til the odometer rolls over an even 500,000 before he trades it in on a new one - in the photo the odometer showed just over 450,000 miles.

The GS is a beautiful car; the ES is also (I'm prejudiced, mine is black also). I see the ES330 comes with a free Carfax which I regard as very helpful info. The car was in a side impact collision w/ airbag deployment and had to be towed, so while it wasn't a total loss it was hit pretty good. Personally I am not sure I'd want something that had been hit in the side - too many things can get sprung out of alignment IMO. If you can handle RWD where you live then the GS might be my choice, if you don't need a larger car. If you live where there's snow you might keep looking a while longer.

Last edited by bullrider; 11-03-14 at 06:42 PM.
Old 11-03-14, 05:48 PM
jimijamz
Driver School Candidate

We have one of each. Actually a 95 ES300 w/ 155,000 miles and 2000 GS300 with 230,000 miles. I have driven newer ES300 cars. My vote would be, if snow is never going to be an issue, go with the GS, if snow driving is a valid concern then I personally would go the ES route. Just sayin'.