ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Where's the oil filter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-03, 10:00 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Where's the oil filter?

I am wicked embarrassed to ask this question.

As you all know, I got a 2002 ES with the 1MZ-FE 3.0L VVT-i engine.

I went to change oil and filter today to save a trip to the dealer and a few ducats. This would be the first time changing o&f on this car in my garage myself. (all previous where at dealer.)
Got the car up on ramps, I'm rolling around on a creeper for a half hour.........can't find a thing.....nothing even remotely looking like an oil filter.

HEEELPP!...........where is it?

....and yes, I am laughing at this too.

steviej
Old 03-01-03, 01:18 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Default Never mind, I found it.

I can't believe the people who design engines. They should be made to change the oil in motors with filters in this placement.

It is under the front manifold up high on the block. Toy/Lex filters are dark grey/black and it blended right in with the engine block.
The sad part is it is angled down. No matter what, it is gonna pee out oil all over the place. I know it's got a valve, but it is still gonna leak. I wouldn't mind so much but there is stuff under it, electrical connections, motor mounts, crossmemebers, etc. All the more to get oil on them and collect dirt and crap.

So I'll pack it off with lots of rags. My friend's Saab is really nice.
The oil filter is straight up and down so it holds the oil like a cup. Never a drop is spilled.

Sorry for venting, but sometimes I wonder where the brains are on the people that design these things.

later dudes and dudettes.

steviej
Old 03-01-03, 02:49 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i tried to respond to tell you that, but we were having some technical difficulties.

DO NOT BURN YOUR ARM FROM THE MANIFOLD WHILE TAKING OUT THE OLD FILTER!!!!!!!! this is an extremely painful burn you get on the underside of your forearm/wrist from the 1mz engines. the only way to help w/ this problem is to wear some thick long sleeves or wait til the car is cool enough (but oil is thicker). Yes, oil will spill onto the area below it.
tip: use a V8 toyota filter (it's taller) so it is easier to remove next time around.

good luck. anymore Q's you can ask
Old 03-01-03, 09:58 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

I am very aware of the hazards of manifolds......got the scars to prove it.
When I saw the location, my daytime job popped into my head. I can get these little basins from the hospital that will fit right under the oil filter and catch 99% of what comes out. They are slightly curved on one side and straight on the other. They are used to catch something else.....similar to the result of a hard night's drinking....but alas....I digress.

This is a very poor design, especially with a filter that has an anti-back flow valve. Plenty of rags and a catch basin, I should be fine.

oh yeah, so far the new look of CL is very appealing.

steviej
Old 03-02-03, 12:56 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts
Default Re: Never mind, I found it.

Originally posted by steviej
I can't believe the people who design engines. They should be made to change the oil in motors with filters in this placement.

It is under the front manifold up high on the block. Toy/Lex filters are dark grey/black and it blended right in with the engine block.
The sad part is it is angled down. No matter what, it is gonna pee out oil all over the place. I know it's got a valve, but it is still gonna leak. I wouldn't mind so much but there is stuff under it, electrical connections, motor mounts, crossmemebers, etc. All the more to get oil on them and collect dirt and crap.

So I'll pack it off with lots of rags. My friend's Saab is really nice.
The oil filter is straight up and down so it holds the oil like a cup. Never a drop is spilled.

Sorry for venting, but sometimes I wonder where the brains are on the people that design these things.

later dudes and dudettes.

steviej
Ehh, this is an age old pet peeve of ALL 1MZ-FE owners since 1994 and the new 3MZ-FE owners. It's a stupid design flaw Toyota overlooked when they designed this motor. Your method you are using is one that i have used on my first 1MZ-FE powered Toyota (Avalon) and still the same method I use on my Solara.
Old 03-02-03, 11:51 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up I take it back!!!

Every day i drive the lexus, I am more and more impressed.

I would like to say that Toy/Lex engineers are exempt from my previous complaint of mechanical/design engineers. If you have a 2002 ES and you go to change your oil, you will notice that Toy/Lex has designed a piece of metal that is attached to the engine block just below the oil filter (can't see it until the filter is removed). This piece of metal acts as a funnel and directs the oil into a fine stream that goes straight down. If you are on a level surface, the oil will spill off this bracket directly into your waste oil catch pan. NO MESS and no oil on the floor.

Now I am really impressed.

Life is good.

steviej.

PS I know not if previous models of the 1MZ-FE have this.
Old 03-02-03, 01:29 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Question 3MZ-FE Designation?

Is 3MZ-FE the designation of the new 3.3L V6 on the 2004 RX330 and future Lexus vehicles?
Old 03-02-03, 01:46 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts
Default Re: 3MZ-FE Designation?

Originally posted by squarehat
Is 3MZ-FE the designation of the new 3.3L V6 on the 2004 RX330 and future Lexus vehicles?
Yes. The 3MZ-FE is the designation for the Toyota Camry chassis based 3.3L V6 (i.e. Camry, Highlander, Sienna, Avalon, RX & ES). It's the 3rd Generation of theToyota MZ series block. The 2MZ-FE 2.5L V6 was only released in the Japanese market.

Last edited by flipside909; 03-02-03 at 01:48 PM.
Old 01-11-07, 02:02 PM
vboy418
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump on this. Thanks for the info. Just change my wife's es and I couldnt find the oil filter. After 5 mins of look everywhere I went to CL. Good stuff
Old 01-11-07, 02:38 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

^ Good to hear you changed the oil yourself on the ES. The process gets much easier the next time around, and you also save yourself some $$$ as opposed to going to the dealership (I get a kick out of it every time I walk into a dealership to order a part and find people in the waiting lounge waiting to get their oil changed)

BTW, how are the new headlights?