ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Electronic modulated suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-13, 10:44 PM
MarcoP
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic modulated suspension question

My ES has the electronic modulated suspension and I've been hearing the odd clunk or thump over some bumps. It doesn't do it on every bump, which is making it harder to figure out. I've also noticed that the noise is more frequent and more pronounced when the suspension is set to stiff.
This is my first Lexus, so I have nothing to really compare it to, but I feel as if the suspension and ride isn't as solid and tight as one would expect from a Lexus. I understand the car is not brand new, so that could be a factor.
I recently changed the front strut mounts and bearings, but didn't notice any difference.
Any comments or advice would be appreciated.
Cheers.
Old 09-29-13, 04:10 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

There are a number of clunk causes in these cars, strut mounts can be one of them (did you replace with stock parts or aftermarket?) as well as the sway bar end-links are well known cause. The only unique part of the suspensions with the electronic option is the struts themselves, everything else suspension wise is the same as the normal ES. You can troubleshoot as such.

Just do me a favor don't toss those struts if a mechanic tells you they are the cause of the noise. They love to throw parts at problems and make money but these struts aren't cheap to replace and certainly worth properly diagnosing before you replace them with normal struts as most do.
Old 09-30-13, 07:09 AM
MarcoP
Driver School Candidate

The new strut mounts and bearings are OEM.
Next will be to check the end links and bushings.
Generally, how long are the end links and strut mounts supposed to be good for? Even though I replaced the mounts, the noise didn't go away, so I'm assuming the old ones were still good.

Last edited by MarcoP; 09-30-13 at 07:16 AM.
Old 01-25-14, 05:05 PM
MarcoP
Driver School Candidate

So far the front suspension components have checked out ok.
Went on a test ride with a mechanic from an independent shop and he thinks it is the struts. The clunk is way more apparent when suspension is in sport mode and he says the clunk sound isn't like that of a bad end link or bushing.
I really hope it's not the struts. They're not cheap.

For anyone who also has the EMS, does the suspension seem noisier when on firm?

Now, would I be able to replace these struts with non-EMS ones? Would this be possible?

Thanks.
Old 01-26-14, 06:51 AM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcoP
Now, would I be able to replace these struts with non-EMS ones? Would this be possible?
Yes, you can replace them with regular struts. No dashboard lights to worry about either.

Most ES owners probably do this, because at the age of the car where it needs new struts, it isn't worth investing $1000+ on a set of adjustable struts.
Old 01-27-14, 05:34 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

I don't have any extra clunks on "firm" but all my strut components are new.

I take a different view on the struts, if you can get a good mechanic to diagnose which strut is making the noise, you could replace just the one. You can get the best price through Sewell parts. There is no need to replace all the struts if one is making noise. That is just me, I put the AVS struts into my car and I love them every day so just a different perspective. If you don't like the AVS struts by all means put something else in.
Old 01-28-14, 01:46 AM
MarcoP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by speedkar9
Yes, you can replace them with regular struts. No dashboard lights to worry about either.

Most ES owners probably do this, because at the age of the car where it needs new struts, it isn't worth investing $1000+ on a set of adjustable struts.
All the info I've found so far is for the 3rd gen ES300. I have a 4th gen and I haven't found anyone saying they've switched to non-AVS successfully on a 4th gen.
I guess one option would be to try and simply unplug the wiring on top of the shocks to see if any dash lights go off?

It would cost over $2000 for the set from sewell .

Originally Posted by Power6
I take a different view on the struts, if you can get a good mechanic to diagnose which strut is making the noise, you could replace just the one. You can get the best price through Sewell parts. There is no need to replace all the struts if one is making noise. That is just me, I put the AVS struts into my car and I love them every day so just a different perspective. If you don't like the AVS struts by all means put something else in.
I'll give this a try. Hopefully I'll find a mechanic who's dealt with this before.
I agree, I would rather keep the AVS. But $2k is overkill for an older car.
Old 01-29-14, 09:52 AM
LORPARTS
Driver School Candidate

What year is your ES?
Old 01-30-14, 02:48 AM
MarcoP
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lorparts
what year is your es?
It's a 2005.
Old 08-20-15, 04:49 PM
MarcoP
Driver School Candidate

Thought I'd reply to this post for anyone else who may need this info.
After dragging out for a while, I finally replaced all the struts with KYBs. Used OEM mounts.
It's been a couple of days and no lights on dash. And yes, this fixed that annoying clunk.
Old 08-20-15, 08:11 PM
speedkar9
Lexus Champion

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

How do you find the ride quality with the KYBs?
Is it much stiffer than stock?

Now you could replace the center console panel with a non-AVS one so you don't have a redundant dial.
Old 08-22-15, 04:29 PM
netlander
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MarcoP
Thought I'd reply to this post for anyone else who may need this info.
After dragging out for a while, I finally replaced all the struts with KYBs. Used OEM mounts.
It's been a couple of days and no lights on dash. And yes, this fixed that annoying clunk.
thanks for update. So u replace it with KYB regular struts? Did u have to use any conversion kit? My mechanic quoted me $2000 just for the front pair on 2003 ES300 (4th. gen), without mount using electronic struts. I'm looking into other options.
Old 06-02-16, 10:16 AM
Guyanese
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is an old thread but is there any links someone can point me too if im interested in adding AVS to my 2000 es300 please? I'm simply interested in reading up on how to do it and what it entails, I've done the struts on my mom's 97 camry so i assume it wouldn't be too much more work for this car. Thank for any help. I have a 2000 es300 platinum, no auto leveling HID's or AVS. looking to see what it entails adding both of these features on. My first car smooth and sweet ride
Old 06-06-16, 05:57 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Guyanese
this is an old thread but is there any links someone can point me too if im interested in adding AVS to my 2000 es300 please? I'm simply interested in reading up on how to do it and what it entails, I've done the struts on my mom's 97 camry so i assume it wouldn't be too much more work for this car. Thank for any help. I have a 2000 es300 platinum, no auto leveling HID's or AVS. looking to see what it entails adding both of these features on. My first car smooth and sweet ride
Here you go a couple of threads I have done: Adding AVS and Adding OEM HID

Both are not total step by step, there is too much involved in the AVS swap. If you were really going to do it (not one person has actually done this other than me, because of the expense of the struts) PM me and I will help any way I can.

OEM HID is pretty easy, you want to get the plugs with the used lights you buy, so you can cut the Halogen plug and solder/crimp/connect the HID plug. Easy to do. I can also dig up the OEM part #s to buy the plugs if you can't get them with the lights. Making the auto-leveling work is pretty much not going to happen.
Old 06-13-16, 10:28 AM
Guyanese
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Power6
Here you go a couple of threads I have done: Adding AVS and Adding OEM HID

Both are not total step by step, there is too much involved in the AVS swap. If you were really going to do it (not one person has actually done this other than me, because of the expense of the struts) PM me and I will help any way I can.

OEM HID is pretty easy, you want to get the plugs with the used lights you buy, so you can cut the Halogen plug and solder/crimp/connect the HID plug. Easy to do. I can also dig up the OEM part #s to buy the plugs if you can't get them with the lights. Making the auto-leveling work is pretty much not going to happen.
Absolutely fantastic. You did well with your suspension. I will look up cost for the project, I have always wanted an LS but the V8 was the breaking point along with finding low mileage cars. This is my first real car ( drove my 91 accord for 6 years ti 216K). That being said, I enjoy the comfort of the car only wishing for a quieter ride and a softer/smoother ride. I assume weather strips should be my first stop for the sound isolation and now your setup for the AVS if possible. Thank you very much! Any advice and opinions from anyone is always welcomed!
Cheers!

Quick Reply: Electronic modulated suspension question