ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2003 ES300 runs great cold, Heats up and oil light flickers and runs lousy

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-13, 06:11 PM
dwb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdbrown
Clear out all your codes and see which ones come back first. The open circuit is referring to an electrical issue with the fuel control circuit. Sounds like you are getting a lean misfire, not a good thing as that will overheat the exhaust manifold and it dumps raw fuel into the cat.
Thanks for your help !!!! I made all the repairs to the P0016 was off a tooth , P0174 cleaned MAF , cleared all codes . Ran engine P0001, back on again ( Fuel Volume Regulator control circuit open) ? could this be an fuel injector not firing right ? \ this code was still in code reader before I cleared codes 3rd time , now after I started the check engine the last time light is off and not present. NO Codes . NOWWWWW! heres the problem that we can not figure out .

With the Engine running and in park or netrual at idol \ I am getting a dead thumping sound. (thump,thump,thump etc) When I put the trans in gear and put a load on it while holding the brake, the noise goes away and the engine runs quiet and smooth, the oil light flickers on and off. I did put a new oil pump on as well . This could be a sensor I hope . I checked all mains , rods, cams bearing all look good. A rod knock would hammer all the time especially with a load on it. , another friend said it could be a air pocket in coolant system causing the thumping, I burped the air out and ran awhile and that all seems fine. Engine runs cool . was thinking spark Plugs, put in NGK iridium BKR6ETX-11 that the girl from autozone said were the right ones. The originals were NGK IRF6A Now second guessing plugs. Pulled out plugs , they are white and burning lean also . really stumped . Thanks for your help and input . THis car ran like a dream and was well maintained untill some smoke due to slugde in the vavle covers which I cleaned out back to new , bottom end was clean as a whistle. 2 gallons of fluid in the whole system what a poor design. 5-30 sythanic valoline oil. THanks looking foward to your help. Dean
Old 06-27-13, 06:13 PM
dwb
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dwb
Thanks for your help !!!! I made all the repairs to the P0016 was off a tooth , P0174 cleaned MAF , cleared all codes . Ran engine P0001, back on again ( Fuel Volume Regulator control circuit open) ? could this be an fuel injector not firing right ? \ this code was still in code reader before I cleared codes 3rd time , now after I started the check engine the last time light is off and not present. NO Codes . NOWWWWW! heres the problem that we can not figure out .

With the Engine running and in park or netrual at idol \ I am getting a dead thumping sound. (thump,thump,thump etc) When I put the trans in gear and put a load on it while holding the brake, the noise goes away and the engine runs quiet and smooth, the oil light flickers on and off. I did put a new oil pump on as well . This could be a sensor I hope . I checked all mains , rods, cams bearing all look good. A rod knock would hammer all the time especially with a load on it. , another friend said it could be a air pocket in coolant system causing the thumping, I burped the air out and ran awhile and that all seems fine. Engine runs cool . was thinking spark Plugs, put in NGK iridium BKR6ETX-11 that the girl from autozone said were the right ones. The originals were NGK IRF6A Now second guessing plugs. Pulled out plugs , they are white and burning lean also . really stumped . Thanks for your help and input . THis car ran like a dream and was well maintained untill some smoke due to slugde in the vavle covers which I cleaned out back to new , bottom end was clean as a whistle. 2 gallons of fluid in the whole system what a poor design. 5-30 sythanic valoline oil. THanks looking foward to your help. Dean
Also before I forget , I pulled cats off , complete exhause system all look like new \ system is all open .
Old 07-16-13, 05:04 PM
dwb
Driver School Candidate

Back and running ! Bad main bearing , pulled engine , replaced crankshaft, main bearings , Rod bearings. Runs like new. Sludge clogged oil pickup tube , wiped out crank . Cold could not hear any noise . hot is when she sounded off. Thanks
Old 07-17-13, 07:25 AM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

oh damn, what a fix! glad it was sorted out at the end. hope u kept all the good sensors you replaced