ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.
Old 01-07-15, 01:11 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

97 ES300 Key Fob?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-13, 07:29 PM
ccgpandora
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 ES300 Key Fob?

Just wanted to say this is a great website! This is my first post so here goes nothing. So I have a 97 ES and my original three button key fob remote is separate from the key itself. The o-ring that holds it on the key chain has snapped, which I have discovered to be a common issue as ebay is filled with broken ones. However, I was wondering if the 2000-2001 key fob, which has the three button remote and key together will work with my 97 ES. It seems plausible to me as long as I get the correct key length. The only thing I am worried about is if the frequency is the same and will I be able to link that remote to my car. If not, throw me suggestions on what I should do.
Thanks!

Last edited by ccgpandora; 05-27-13 at 08:31 PM.
Old 05-27-13, 08:24 PM
MrShim78
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure on that, but if you have not bought a fob yet, i'd advise you to look on ebay for one for the 97. the programming instructions are on this website, and you should be able to get a used one at a decent price.

i'd also try to repair the damage to the o ring or place that entire fob in a leather keychain type thing to hold it near the key. mines broken too i used some plastic cement to put it back together...
Old 05-28-13, 09:41 AM
ccgpandora
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MrShim78
Not sure on that, but if you have not bought a fob yet, i'd advise you to look on ebay for one for the 97. the programming instructions are on this website, and you should be able to get a used one at a decent price.

i'd also try to repair the damage to the o ring or place that entire fob in a leather keychain type thing to hold it near the key. mines broken too i used some plastic cement to put it back together...
Yes I've repaired it once before with two part epoxy, but it broke again after that.... So I can either buy a used 97 one or try the 2000 key fob, which would be way more convenient for me if it would work.
Old 05-28-13, 10:44 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Check this website for Fob compatibility, from what I see your model year is not compatible with the newer Fobs

I've used that site before, and it was accurate. Maybe you should give them a call to see what the options are.

Phil

http://www.keymam.com/ru/news_view.asp?newsid=58
Old 05-29-13, 05:21 AM
ccgpandora
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PFB
Check this website for Fob compatibility, from what I see your model year is not compatible with the newer Fobs

I've used that site before, and it was accurate. Maybe you should give them a call to see what the options are.

Phil

http://www.keymam.com/ru/news_view.asp?newsid=58
Thanks man!
Old 05-29-13, 08:35 AM
ErikTheRed
Rookie

I recently bought a generic replacement case at an Autozone near my house. It said specifically for toyota (they had them for other makes as well) and physically looked very similar. I had to do a tiny amount of filing on the inside to get the case to clear part of the battery retainer, and other than being just a tiny bit chunkier, it works perfectly. All I had to do was move the guts of my old one into the new one.

Last edited by ErikTheRed; 05-29-13 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-29-13, 02:48 PM
ccgpandora
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ErikTheRed
I recently bought a generic replacement case at an Autozone near my house. It said specifically for toyota (they had them for other makes as well) and physically looked very similar. I had to do a tiny amount of filing on the inside to get the case to clear part of the battery retainer, and other than being just a tiny bit chunkier, it works perfectly. All I had to do was move the guts of my old one into the new one.
Cool stuff! Thanks for the advice! That's probably what I will do as it is cheaper and less likely to break than the oem case, that is prone to breaking sooner or later.
Old 04-05-14, 04:56 PM
Eternity Key
Former Sponsor

There is finally a solution to the Lexus broken key problem!! The best replacement on the market is called the Eternity Key. The others break and its costly to replace over and over. The Eternity Key is made of military grade materials, stronger than anything on the market, and has a lifetime warranty. Available at Lexus dealers or see www.eternitykey.com for dealers.