ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

What component causes a p0171 system too lean bank one error code?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-13, 12:19 PM
moonphase
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://engine-codes.com/p0171_lexus.html
Either click the link, or copy and paste the above web address to your upper address bar, and click the go button. Good luck!!
The following users liked this post:
Cjet (03-10-18)
Old 03-13-13, 09:52 AM
tomf
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by rlx101
funny, its almost like saying wear of break pads is a known problem. one wears slower than the other, but fundamentally both are wear and tear items, like almost everything else on a car. O2 sensors are rated for 100-150kmiles depending on the car, i would call it a failure only if sensors needed replacement below that mileage - otherwise its a service item.
So rather than saying it was a problem, I should have said that O2 sensors are notorious for failing after 100K miles. And even though Lexus does not mention O2 sensors (unlike brakes, boots, filters, spark plugs etc.) in the users maintenance manual (which shows scheduled maintenance items for 150K miles), they are service items that are expected to fail after 100K miles.
samsonn25 (08-09-19)
Old 03-18-13, 01:55 AM
ovoxolexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by moonphase
http://engine-codes.com/p0171_lexus.html
Either click the link, or copy and paste the above web address to your upper address bar, and click the go button. Good luck!!
Thank you for the link. This information is perfect!
Old 03-18-13, 02:00 AM
ovoxolexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by StuckInVA
I honestly don't know why you would have started replacing all of those parts in the first place when you have the added diagnostic information of having a v6 with two oxygen sensors. You can obviously rule out a loose air filter hose, fuel filter, fuel pump, oil&filter, and the MAF simply by realizing that you are getting a lean signal from only ONE bank. (don't understand how the VC gaskets would cause a bank lean signal, I'm thinking the shop you went to isn't very well thought of in your community)

(sorry for the long post)
Thank you for your lengthy input. Details always help. I agree some parts might have not been necessary to change for this particular problem. She does have 240k. I just thought why not give her a couple of new parts here & there.
Old 02-11-14, 03:19 AM
ovoxolexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tomf
In my limited experience an P0171 is an O2 sensor failure. I have two 99 ES300's. Both showed P0171. In both, replacing the O2 sensor fixed the problem. Most people say the P0171 is a MAF problem. Not for me. It was the Bank 1 sensor 1 [Air and Fuel Ratio Sensor (O2 sensor)]. O2 sensor failure is a common problem.

Additionally it was the same for my 95 Camry V6 1mz-fe engine. That's the same engine the ES300s use.
by any chance, do you know how many O2 sensors the es300 has & also, how many air/fuel sensors?
Old 02-11-14, 06:02 AM
tomf
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

An Air Fuel ratio sensor is basically a more sensitive (and more expensive) oxygen sensor.

The 99 ES300 has 2 Air Fuel Ratio sensors and one Oxygen Sensor. The AF sensors are the two located closest to the engine. Also called upstream sensors, so 1 bank-one and 1 bank-two upstream AF ratio sensors.

The Oxygen sensor is located on the exhaust. It's also called the bank one downstream sensor. It is located under the driver's seat.

This information is for the 99 ES300. Earlier versions only had oxygen sensors, two upstream oxygen sensors and one downstream oxygen sensor.

Go here, http://www.densoautoparts.com/find-m...icle-selection to see what you need. Denso is the original equipment manufacturer of these sensors. If you need a sensor but a Denso.

Denso sells universal and an OE style sensors. The OE style is easier to install. The universal style requires the re-use of the electrical connector.

Last edited by tomf; 02-11-14 at 06:06 AM.
Old 02-12-14, 01:54 AM
ovoxolexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
its best if you put up some fuel trim numbers. that way we can access it better
I purchased a scan tool that would give us some numbers;

Calc load (%) 37.3
ECT ( F) 176.0
STFT B1 (%) 0.8
LTFT B1 (%) 46.9
STFT B2 (%) 2.3
LTFT B2 (%) 51.6
Eng RPM 1717
Vehicle speed (mph) 38
IAT ( F) 100.4

Hope these numbers help. I also got this different list of about 22 but not sure how i did it on the scan tool.
Old 02-12-14, 02:06 AM
ovoxolexus
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I bookmarked that link you posted. I replaced 1 O2 sensor & 2 AF sensors but i was sold 2 of each so i ended up returning 1 extra O2 sensor because i only found 3 total. Based on your post i did replace each sensor correctly. But unfortunately this pesky P0171 emissions code still keeps triggering the check engine light. I have yet to throw in the towel!!! I shall discover and fix the root to this code. Satisfaction is long overdue.
Old 02-20-14, 03:00 PM
Lesterkiwi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the rubber boot that goes from the air cleaner to the throttle body for cracks. Especially around the ribs. That age and mileage the rubber gets old and brittle. If it is cracked then that can cause the P0171 also.
If thats not it I suspect its still your MAF.
I have a couple of questions about the emissions test you have to pass. Here in Texas, for that model its an OBD test where they check the computer for any codes. If its the same for you, how long did you drive the vehicle when you put a new MAF on it before retesting? I'm assuming you cleared the code but if the monitors didnt complete it will still fail.
Old 11-24-17, 11:06 AM
dindih
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ovoxolexus
Thanks. I bookmarked that link you posted. I replaced 1 O2 sensor & 2 AF sensors but i was sold 2 of each so i ended up returning 1 extra O2 sensor because i only found 3 total. Based on your post i did replace each sensor correctly. But unfortunately this pesky P0171 emissions code still keeps triggering the check engine light. I have yet to throw in the towel!!! I shall discover and fix the root to this code. Satisfaction is long overdue.
This is an old link but I am curious as to how you've fixed your P0171 problem...
Old 01-25-20, 05:00 PM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Had multiple codes.

Low coolant temp for closed loop, and too lean B1 upstream, then random misfires, then isolated to B2.

Changed B1 upstream AF sensor, lean condition went away, then still low coolant temp, then changed MAF, still there, then got ramdom misfires, not sure which cylinder or bank then it came up 2-4-6- changed VVTI Bank 2 sensor, need to drive to check if P300 code misfire goes away, also waiting for the ECT I bought to come in, since thiis might also throw the computer off.

Last edited by samsonn25; 01-25-20 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-25-20, 06:00 PM
samsonn25
Intermediate

Originally Posted by artbuc
Sorry, but this is totally untrue. From my personal experience and many, many others who have posted on various Toyota/Lexus car forums, it is the norm to get just a single bank P0171 lean code caused by a dirty MAF sensor.

I changed the AF sensor and MAF and still have the 171. ECT is next as I already change VVTI on bank 2.
Old 01-27-20, 05:43 AM
dindih
Driver School Candidate

Default Code 0171 is usually means you have a vacuum leak

Originally Posted by samsonn25
I changed the AF sensor and MAF and still have the 171. ECT is next as I already change VVTI on bank 2.
check vacuum hoses, trunks before intakes, etc. it took me months to find a leak at the trunk before the intake
samsonn25 (02-11-20)
Old 02-11-20, 04:58 PM
samsonn25
Intermediate

I finally disconnected battery for 10 min and reconnect and the car runs as good as before and OD is back.

Have code 1130 now.

I hear a small exhaust leak on passenger side, my theory is it causes the Af sensor and downstream O2 to read incorrectly, also possible it can trip the knock sensors which are 20 years old and make the computer enter limp home mode, thus the OD was gone earlier and now is back.

Put on a lift I hear the leak up somewhere between the exhaust manifold and Y pipe, not sure which connection
Old 02-17-20, 09:32 AM
Cpthaddock
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by samsonn25
I finally disconnected battery for 10 min and reconnect and the car runs as good as before and OD is back.

Have code 1130 now.

I hear a small exhaust leak on passenger side, my theory is it causes the Af sensor and downstream O2 to read incorrectly, also possible it can trip the knock sensors which are 20 years old and make the computer enter limp home mode, thus the OD was gone earlier and now is back.

Put on a lift I hear the leak up somewhere between the exhaust manifold and Y pipe, not sure which connection
unfortunately, you have wasted a lot of money replacing parts which were most likely in perfect condition. The likely cause for a lean code in a 20 year old car is an exhaust leak before the A/F sensor (aka o2 sensor in the upstream, depending on the market where the car was sold). Ensure you have no leaks in your exhaust. Stop changing parts when you have done no diagnostics to them, at this point any mechanic who isn’t a complete joke could have solved this for you for much less than what you paid to replace half your cars electronics. I’d also ask for my money back from the scammers who sold you a valve cover??? It’s insulting what some garages will do. Good luck

Quick Reply: What component causes a p0171 system too lean bank one error code?