ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

hp est??

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-13, 05:27 PM
ohhsoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hp est??

97 es300....what type of gains could i expect if i remove the resonator from my stock intake, drill holes in the airbox, headers, exhaust, port and polish heads and intake manifold and a tune?

do you know of anyone who makes a performance intake manifold for the 1mz and if it wld be worth it to go that route over porting and polish the stock one?
Old 01-27-13, 06:44 PM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

NO NO and NO
Old 01-28-13, 05:13 AM
ohhsoo
Driver School Candidate

thank u for that generous and insightful information it was extremely helpful.
Old 01-28-13, 05:39 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Well, you already posted here and got your answers. Don't know why you started another thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...-97-es300.html
Old 01-31-13, 08:41 AM
ohhsoo
Driver School Candidate

telling me not to mod my car or sell it isnt an answer....a number wld be an answer... thx
Old 01-31-13, 09:38 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Assuming these make 200hp factory rated - NEW, assuming the typical 'loss' going to the wheels, a guesstimate is in the 160hp range.

Now, as a car gets older performance always degrades since things aren't new anymore and not working as they did, day 1. So you're looking at 140hp at the wheels if lucky.

Feel free to read up on the HP ratings on wikipedia and the history of this motor.
Old 01-31-13, 11:25 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

The OP claimed (in another thread) that his Mustang "it was my daily driver with a 6 puck and full heads cams and bolt ons and making 400hp".

Seriously, if he has so much experience with swap and modification, he shouldn't be asking these questions. He should already know the answer......
Old 01-31-13, 01:56 PM
DixonPai
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Honestly, posting twice about the same thing is kind ehhh. I am always looking forward to someone looking to do something to their ES. If you got the money and time then be my guess. Your car and Your money, kay.

Look you wanna go faster, not a problem. But sadly there is not much option on this car. Getting an intake that actually works is hard, all the short ram intakes all loose torq easily, they are just noise makers.

Headers, OBX makes headers and exhaust system for the 1mz

Now to help you out, generally most parts that work for the Toyota Solara, Camry, and Avalon will work with ours, so what I am telling you is, since the Solara is a "SPORTS CAR" You might be able to pull up some info.

There are a few guys on here that actually made their car faster, but it takes money and time.

Check out this thread,
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es3...hing-cool.html
Old 01-31-13, 03:04 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you're an engineer or technician, the motivation and examples usually come from them. So here are some performance-oriented threads to help you out and give you some information:

McElligott's Turbo ES Project Thread

Almost any thread by Pheonix in this ES300 forum is valuable, esp. if you're a 3VZ-FE owner (I know the OP is a 1MZ-FE but the the two engines do share commonalities and maybe this will also help a 3VZ owner who searches and finds this thread):
The Free Mod Series - Part I Quicker Transmission Shifting ( 1 2)
The Free Mod Series - Part III Tuning the ECU
The Free Mod sieres - Part IV Cooling
The Free Mod Sieres: Part V How to pick up MPG, and sleep with her too!
The Free Mod Sieres: Part VI Acing Aerodynamics
The Free Mod Series: Part VII Cheap Water Injection
The Free Mod Series - Part VIII Cheaply Monitoring the ECU & A/F Ratios
The Free Mod Series: Part VIII Electronic Transmission Controller
The Best & Only Intake That Works. $25-40usd
v6 Alternator Swap: More Info

We've had wave after wave of ES-performance-hopeful-new-owners; TruPlaya26 was once such owner and Pheonix delivered some knowledge and reality throughout this thread: More Horsepower !! and another similar thread from a user inquiry: How to Increase Performance

Superchargers for the ES?

I'll find more later, but this should get you started.

Good luck!

Last edited by Slooooooow; 02-01-13 at 06:20 AM.
Old 02-01-13, 06:09 AM
ohhsoo
Driver School Candidate

thanks dixo and slow ur inputs greatly appreciated.....bdsl just because i have experience with a ford 302 means nothing when it comes to the 1mz...a cold air and intake manifold on tht car wld gave around 50bhp (if u dont believe me i have no prob posting the links for the intake and manifold to proove it) because its old and airflow was very restricted to any flow mods were a substantial increase since it was an older motor and because the aftermarket support was like night and day comparing the two. im guessing the same mods on the 1m wldnt give u hlf of the increases it gave on the mustang. no 2 motors are the same especially when the technology in the two cars over the 7 yr difference in the two models was alot more advanced.. so saying since i have experience w a completley different car and motor so i should know just makes u as ignorant as ur trying to make me sound....=D cheers
Old 02-20-13, 04:11 PM
JonnysES
Driver

Originally Posted by ohhsoo
97 es300....what type of gains could i expect if i remove the resonator from my stock intake, drill holes in the airbox, headers, exhaust, port and polish heads and intake manifold and a tune?

do you know of anyone who makes a performance intake manifold for the 1mz and if it wld be worth it to go that route over porting and polish the stock one?
Here's a few legit answers man...
Drilling holes in the air box and yanking the resonator will make in louder maybe worth a hp and a little throttle response.
I recommend a custom intake that goes into the fender and wrap it where its exposed to heat aka a true cold air intake /port the intake manifolds(Upper and lower it's up to you if you want to polish the upper. If you polish it you'll lose some bottom end but gain top end, vice versa if you don't.) DON'T polish the lower intake or intake ports you want good atomization of the fuel however you can port them/ port and POLISH the ACIS(http://www.solaraguy.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10501) Port and POLISH the exhaust ports/ get headers/y pipe/high flow cat/custom resanator and a High performance muffler setup and bypass the throttle body coolant lines. To top that all off get it tuned with a SAFC II or something similar once you tune it drivability will come back and you'll get a jump in power. I would expect 30-40whp if this is done correctly. You may have to put in bigger injectors and turn up the fuel a bit maybe not but I would say you can get in the neighbor hood of 200whp without reground cams or longer valves and N/A but that's near the limits of NA for this motor with a stock bottom end.
Old 02-25-13, 01:48 AM
ohhsoo
Driver School Candidate

i been looking into the Frankenstein non vvti 1mz head with 3mz block and it seems doable with some nice gains along with the other suggested mods...just noy sure if i should go tht route or build the bottom end i have now...im assuming the 3.3 block will be a little more affordable but im doing my research...the non vvti heads can be used u just have to block off the egr and run a oil line and from the write up it doesnt seem too difficult and somewhat affordable for the 250hp est....i registered and did some research on solaraguy...any and all input is appreciated unless u start telling me not to mod my car...if thts the case dont waste ur time...for the money i would get for this car it wldnt make sense to get something out...it wld def be a downgrade in looks and luxury for sure and i dont see myself getting anything im interested in wit anywhere near the 65k miles my car has and since it was my grandmothers i know A: its never been abused and B: it has sentimental value and i just cant bring myself to sell it..so i figured instead of selling this for like a wrx wagon which is what im looking to get but cant find anything worth selling this for...tht id just turn this into what i want because either way im going to be spending the money on either car...yea id go fater in a wrx but around here noone has a clean es the wrx's are everywhere and it sounds way better when u say u have a LEXUS compared to a subaru
Old 02-25-13, 02:07 PM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

just supercharge it, what's the big deal?
Old 02-27-13, 10:39 PM
ohhsoo
Driver School Candidate

Can't find one
Old 02-28-13, 12:05 AM
EEngineer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

not looking hard enough