ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

JDM Power Folding Mirrors - A wiring odyssey

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-16, 09:00 AM
static1646
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. Thats sort of helpful. But how would I wire up a simple switch? The ones I found has a stock windom switch that comes with the mirrors. Also, where would I find a mirror module? I cant find any for the es300/windom on ebay. Only ones for other toyota models. Would they work the same on my car?
Old 05-23-16, 11:27 AM
mugencivic
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for the info Power6, its greatly appreciated
Old 05-31-16, 06:58 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by static1646
Thanks. Thats sort of helpful. But how would I wire up a simple switch? The ones I found has a stock windom switch that comes with the mirrors. Also, where would I find a mirror module? I cant find any for the es300/windom on ebay. Only ones for other toyota models. Would they work the same on my car?
I should have been more clear...you can use the Windom switch, there is just no place to mount it in a LHD ES, so you would have to come up with something custom, like I did mounting the LS430 switch in the vent/clock bezel. If you don't want to cut up interior panels you could mount a simple hidden DPDT toggle switch below the dash to operate the mirrors.

The mirror module is a universal part. There are some car specific ones, but since this would be a custom job you would use a universal part. You'll have to cut and solder/splice the wires yourself. I have used this module with great success.

I do still have a spare set of Windom folding mirrors in the basement, anyone who is interested in buying them PM me.
Old 05-31-16, 07:32 AM
static1646
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. That makes a lot more sense. I might buy those mirrors from you in a month or two. I don't have the money to buy them right now. How much would you be willing to sell those for? And could you post pics of them?
Old 07-08-16, 09:26 PM
BobbyJ
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for the great wiring guide! Does anyone know if it would be possible to wire these to automatically fold when in park? Sort of how the mirrors can fold down in reverse*

*For the 2005 ES330
Old 07-11-16, 10:56 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Yeah you can wire the mirrors to do that, anything is possible ;-) That would be pretty simple to do. I like the folding on door lock myself, but the fold in park is nice too.

Assuming you have folding mirrors installed, you would just need to wire up a circuit to turn a park output, whether a 12v (+) or ground, into an output that swaps 12v (+)/(-) to the mirrors to make them fold. If you are not sure, talk to a car alarm installer, who could think up a schematic off the top of his head to do that in about 18 seconds.
Old 05-17-20, 05:15 PM
Power6
Lead Lap

Just in case anyone is interested, the ES is long gone but I had removed this setup before I traded the car in, cleaning out the basement, selling the whole thing with all the parts if you want the coolest mirrors in town! https://www.clublexus.com/forums/market/944587
The following users liked this post:
Collegeman (05-17-20)
Old 05-17-20, 09:26 PM
Collegeman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Power6
Just in case anyone is interested, the ES is long gone but I had removed this setup before I traded the car in, cleaning out the basement, selling the whole thing with all the parts if you want the coolest mirrors in town! https://www.clublexus.com/forums/market/944587
Man i wish it were for the 4ES, I would buy it in a hearbeat. Im gonna do some research to see if i can do some sort of conversion or something. This is a fantastic idea, props to you!
Old 05-18-20, 06:21 AM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 750 Likes on 627 Posts

Originally Posted by Collegeman
Man i wish it were for the 4ES, I would buy it in a hearbeat. Im gonna do some research to see if i can do some sort of conversion or something. This is a fantastic idea, props to you!
Hello,

4th gen Toyota Windom also came with auto-folding mirrors, so it will not be an issue to do the same project with your car.

It is the same situation with the switch, you can only find one for a RHD, or you will need to install it elsewhere. With that, I found a set of mirrors off of Windom on eBay, but I have no idea if you will be able to use their internals in your current mirror housings, and you will need to do that, since Japanese mirrors are angled differently. It may still be worth the shot though, and you can always either return, or re-sell them..

P.S. Reminds me of all the hatred behind a bunch of caps instead of buttons in German cars.. I don't even have a spare fuse holder in my 2000 Lexus ES300, so any aftermarket project will always look like jury-rigging of some kind.. That is probably the single most annoying issue in my car.

Hope this help and best of luck!
Old 05-24-20, 07:17 AM
Power6
Lead Lap

Yeah swapping the mirrors RHD to LHD depends on each model and mfr. This vintage of Toyota how they do this is: The mirror housing is the same, the "base" (the part that mounts door and holds the housing) is different and holds each mirror at a different angle. If you look closely at your mirrors you will see the drivers side is at a more acute angle to the car than the pass side. The RHD will have different bases, basically the opposite asymmetry of mounting for the right side driver. The bottom line is you will need to mount the JDM mirrors to the bases from your LHD mirrors, or some variation that accomplishes that like what I did, which was swap the power folding mirror units from the JDM mirror into the US mirrors.

That 4ES/windom switch looks the same as the 3ES/windom, so probably has the same simple circuit operation. You can fold in the mirrors with the switch while the ignition is on. Making the mirrors work like the later LS with the auto fold settings with lock/unlock, that is why I had done the whole wiring project I did.