ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Removing that stubborn crank pulley (harmonic balancer)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-12, 04:29 PM
randal
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Removing that stubborn crank pulley (harmonic balancer)

Ok, there have been some threads dealing with timing belt removal and the removal of the crankshaft pulley and bolt. However, I wanted to add some detail and focus on that stubborn crankshaft bolt. These are all "lessons learned" that I wanted to share. Hopefully it will help some poor soul who is struggling through the same issues.

Starting with the crankshaft bolt, which is torqued to 181 ft-lbs...it can be quite a chore to get that bolt loosened. There are basically three ways to accomplish the removal:
  1. Use a special holding tool.
  2. bump" the starter.
  3. Use an impact wrench.

I chose to use an impact wrench. Here's why: I just did not want to shell out the money for the special holding tool (~$60) and the starter "bump" was somewhat unnerving to me. Besides, I could buy another cool tool for the garage that might be handy in other situations.

What does it take as far as impact wrench capabilities and compressor to unloosen that bolt? Good question!

I have a pneumatic impact wrench that I have owned for years and is rated at 260 ft-lbs. I tried that on the bolt. Ha. The bolt just laughed at me. Then I bought an Ingersol-Rand (good brand) for $150 which is rated at 500 ft-lbs. Again, just laughter. The bolt would NOT budge.

I began to wonder if the problem was not with my compressor, a Porter Cable "Pancake" air compressor. Small but fairly powerful, it is rated 5.3 CFM@ 90PSI. Well, undaunted, I decided to find another impact wrench...this time a Harbor Freight (Central Pneumatic) brand. I know, cheap, but hey, they are all made in China anyway, even the Ingersal-Rand!. I knew I would need some "beefiness" so I went with a 3/4" drive rated 1000 ft-lbs with 7 CFM @90 PSI. Was it my compressor or the impact wrench or my 50 ft of 3/8" ID air hose? I was bound and determined to find out. And with that setup, the bolt zipped right off! The Harbor Freight impact wrench was impressive for $95. I think I will keep it.

All for now. I will follow with hints on removing the pulley. The picture shows the difference in my first impact wrench and the Harbor Freight brand. Also shown is the crank pulley bolt. Quit a hefty sized bolt. You can see why it takes such force.
Attached Thumbnails Removing that stubborn crank pulley (harmonic balancer)-100_2326.jpg  

Last edited by randal; 07-15-12 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-15-12, 04:55 PM
randal
Lead Lap

With the crank bolt removed, I tackled the pulling of the harmonic balancer off of the crankshaft. Now, you can "rent" a puller kit from Autozone for $20, which is what I did. Actually, it costs nothing because when (if?) you return the kit, they will fully refund your money. Nice deal.

Wouldn't you know, none of the bolts in the kit would fit my harmonic balancer threads! The kit bolts were all too large. Did I get the wrong kit? A trip back to Autozone said "no" because there was no smaller bolts. So, taking a spare bolt from my junk box and browsing at the local Ace Hardware store, I determined that the bolts were 8MM diameter, 1.25 MM pitch. I settled on 8MM dia., 1.25 MM pitch and 70 MM length (roughly 3 inches long). Those worked great.

I threaded the pulley puller onto the harmonic balancer and, in no time, had the balancer off of the crankshaft. Below are pics of the kit, puller and bolts that I purchased(off to the right side). Note that you should use the bullnose attachment on the end of the large bolt to keep from damaging the crank bolt hole threads.

My harmonic balancer came off fairly easily without much fuss. In all of this, remember, you may have to purchase separate bolts from a hardware store as the kit may come up short.
Attached Thumbnails Removing that stubborn crank pulley (harmonic balancer)-100_2321.jpg   Removing that stubborn crank pulley (harmonic balancer)-100_2322.jpg   Removing that stubborn crank pulley (harmonic balancer)-100_2324.jpg   Removing that stubborn crank pulley (harmonic balancer)-100_2325.jpg  

Last edited by randal; 07-15-12 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-15-12, 05:19 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Nice write up. It's funny, because when I did my timing belt, the HB came off by hand with ease. The person doing the job for me was very surprised.
Old 07-15-12, 05:52 PM
randal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MrBooby
Nice write up. It's funny, because when I did my timing belt, the HB came off by hand with ease. The person doing the job for me was very surprised.
Yeah, the HB came off the shaft pretty easily. It was the crank bolt that was a "bear" to remove.
Old 07-15-12, 07:46 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by randal
Yeah, the HB came off the shaft pretty easily. It was the crank bolt that was a "bear" to remove.
We also had problems with impacts not being strong enough. A simple twist of the key did the trick. You should try the starter trick, it's not as bad as you think - I was very worried just like you until I saw it being done.
Old 07-16-12, 04:23 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have been using the starter blip / long breaker bar method for a long time on a few vehicles. It works every time. No damage. Just make sure the bolt / HB is spinning in the right direction!!
Old 07-16-12, 04:40 AM
randal
Lead Lap

Yeah, next time (if there is a next time), I may try the starter blip. But this was a good excuse to buy another toy ( I mean tool )!!!
Old 09-13-12, 07:44 PM
2bonnies
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I'm stuck! Rx300 sits in my garage with balancer bolt still tight. Amazingly though, I just bought the same impact wrench from Harbor Freight that Randall used! I tried it a few times this afternoon late and the bolt wouldn't budge. I was thinking about switchingf to a 1/2 inch 12 foot air hose tomorrow and see if that works. I don't follow the starter bump idea.. Tell me it's NOT breaker bar on the bolt and lodged against the ground or frame while the starter is bumped?
Old 09-13-12, 08:01 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

It is, and it only take a second.
Old 02-20-15, 12:36 PM
Dukenukemx
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Just noticed that my Harmonic Balancer is wobbling on my 2004 ES330 with 168,000 miles. So now I need to look into replacing it. I have the tools the remove it but I gotta remove the timing belt? Also what's with the bolt being a huge problem and this starter trick? Also isn't the bolt that holds the Harmonic Balancer a one time use bolt and you gotta replace it?

Is this the starter trick?

Last edited by Dukenukemx; 02-20-15 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-20-15, 02:52 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gaaad that guy is annoying...

You need to call your closest Lexus dealer ASAP and check on the status of the recall on that pulley (have your VIN ready). Both my car and our Highlander had recalls on that pulley. They just pulled it into the shop and looked at it, both were fine. Only time my car has ever been in a Lexus dealership under my ownership. Something about the pulley coming apart and delaminating at the rubber insert. If that is the problem, they will replace it at no cost. Then they will wash your car, top off the fluids, and give it back to you.

No, the timing belt doesn't have to come off.

No, it's not a one-time use bolt.

The bolt can be a pain to get out because it's very tight. The starter trick will work, I've used it many times on other engines. But more importantly you need a tool to hold the balancer so you can properly torque it to tighten the bolt when you put it back on. I think the torque spec is 168 ft-lbs. I made my own tool. Don't just "make it really tight". It will come back out and the pulley will fall off, I've seen it happen. Then you will be stranded on the side of the road, with a trashed balancer, ruined belts, and possibly a damaged crankshaft.
Old 02-20-15, 08:43 PM
Dukenukemx
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks KLF that was a mouthful of info. I'll call the dealer tomorrow if they're open. Had no idea about a pulley recall.
Old 02-21-15, 05:48 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by BDSL
I have been using the starter blip / long breaker bar method for a long time on a few vehicles. It works every time. No damage. Just make sure the bolt / HB is spinning in the right direction!!
I take back what I said in 2012. Last year, I had to change the timing belt on my 2006 ES330 which was on the original belt. The starter blip method didn't work. I had to go over to my cousin who has a +200 psi compressor to loosen the bolt.

I was told those electric and lower pressure compressor might not work as well....
Old 11-27-16, 12:17 PM
markrmt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternative way of loosening and tightening a 430 crank pulley bolt

I came up with a new way of both loosening and tightening a 430 crank pulley bolt, that also allows you to torque it up to the right level also. See here
. Also, the bolt you use doesn't need to be threaded into the pulley - just a snug fit part way in

Last edited by markrmt; 11-28-16 at 08:05 AM.
Old 11-27-16, 07:04 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Thank you for sharing! I wonder if this method could be used on a FWD subframe to hold the harmonic balancer.

Quick Reply: Removing that stubborn crank pulley (harmonic balancer)