ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Finally bought an 01' ES300

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-12, 09:56 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sucks you couldn't get it, but hopefully the ES you are going to see next will be in better shape.
Old 06-24-12, 11:50 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
Hey guys, bad news... The deal fell through on the 01'. I went to pick it up today, and I notice the rear passenger door doesn't open from the inside. (yes, i checked the child lock). And, he wouldn't lower the price due to that, he claimed he didn't know it didn't open from the inside. I also noticed a ton of stains on the door panels, which I didn't see before, because I went to see the car at night. So, In the end I decided there was no way I was going to buy this car, it was not up to my standards. LOL, yes I understand it's a 11 year old car, but still. OH, BTW: yes, the car does have perforated leather.

But, no worries, I'm going to go take a look at an 02' Lexus ES300 tomorrow or Tuesday. I will give you guys an update, once I see it. I really hope this deal goes well, because this car was serviced was regularly serviced at Lexus. The service history is awesome, it's complete. All the way from 5 miles to 176k miles. It does have high miles, but I think it's worth it, considering all of the service was done at Lexus.
4th Gen ES handles very differently from the 3rd Gen; they are not the same car. Neither is sporty, but an '01 will feel sportier than an '02. There are some other major differences you should be aware of too. If you get serious about deciding between the two post back and I'll try to list the one's I'm aware of.
Old 06-25-12, 04:21 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I understand what you guys are saying, the problem with the door could have been something minor. Also, the stains were on the door panels and carpet though. I tried to see if could get them off, but I couldn't. But, what really pissed me off, was that the seller blatantly lied to me about the door, and about the tires. He said he bought new tires all around a few months ago, and the tires were obviously not even close to new. I looked at them closely yesterday, and the front one's were worn at the edges (could be an alignment issue).The rear's were decent, but had some dry rot. One more thing I didn't mention earlier but now is sort of worrying me is the fact that the overflow pot for the coolant was empty, there was no coolant in there. So, I'm just glad I didn't buy the car. To be honest, after seeing all of that, and the seller declining to comment or even change the price, I was very pissed, so I just told him to get out of my sight.

Another reason why I let the car go, was because I have been burned way too many times before. Someone tells me there's a minor issue, and it turns out to something huge. I just don't want to have to deal with that.

Yes, I understand the 02' will drive differently. I don't mind the sportiness factor, because if I wanted something sporty I'd get the IS300. This car will mainly be driven by my father, who currently drives a 97' Accord. And, pretty much for my dad as long as it get's from point A to B, he's fine with the car. But I want him driving in something comfortable (he has a 80 mile commute), and the 97' Accord has no A/C. I think my dad might like the 02' more, because from what i've heard it's even more refined when compared to previous generations. I particularly like the interior of the 02+ ES's when compared to the previous gen. But as far as exterior goes, I prefer the 01' and earlier, while the other's in my fam, still prefer the 02+ exterior design.

I am going to go see it at around 9 am. Which is when the dealer opens, I haven't made an appointment though, so hopefully I don't need one. I will update you guys once I get back. If I don't like the 02', I found an 01' with 76k miles for $8k, I'll take a look at that.

Once again, thanks for the comments, I do appreciate them!

Last edited by hypervish; 06-25-12 at 04:28 AM.
Old 06-25-12, 08:25 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Hey guys, just wanted to give an update. I'm buying the 02' ES300 I saw today. I will make a thread on that once I get the car home this time, instead of making a thread and not purchasing it. LOL, I left a deposit though, so it's all pretty much said and done. I am going to try picking it up tonight, but If I'm too busy with work then I will have to pick it up Wednesday, cause I have to go out of state tomorrow. It only has one problem which I will discuss in the thread once I make it.