ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

DIY: Polishing the Ole Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-11, 07:21 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,135 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Very nice writeup Andy, thanks for posting!
Old 03-04-11, 07:54 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well done, Im a little on the fence about taking this on because as mentioned the frequency will increase, but if I can find a some uv sealant... (I wonder what product they use in the factory when they make vechicles?) To guard afterwards I would def take this one on.
Old 03-04-11, 08:06 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,135 Likes on 1,302 Posts

I wonder if you could use one of the cheapo Xpel or other clear bra headlight protection kits on after you polished.

http://www.amazon.com/XPEL-H0525D-Cl...9297886&sr=8-1

Not sure this is the right size, just an example
Old 03-04-11, 08:17 PM
AndyG
Pole Position

Hey that's very interesting and I think that's something that was mentioned in one of the links I was reading earlier. The link was essentially talking about how you can buy a certain topical solution/spray that costs upwards of $200 or use these films to cover the headlights with.

According to this page:

http://www.autoanything.com/lights/7....aspx?kc=ffsku

We'd want to look for:

"X-Pel Headlight Protection H1902"

Which is cheaper here on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/XPEL-H1902-Cle.../dp/B0007X4K42

I'd be down for trying them out and seeing how they affect light output, looks, and ability to keep the lenses clean and clear.
Old 03-04-11, 10:45 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Honestly, get some lamin-x and cover them up and cut off the excess... Or buy some new "used" headlights for 100$ I've seen new ones sell for like 200$ for ur car.
Old 03-05-11, 07:04 AM
01ES300NYC
Pole Position

The higher priced kits actually come with a uv protecting plastic surface sealant.
http://wolfgangcarcare.com/plastik-lens-cleaning.html
http://wolfgangcarcare.com/plastik-surface-sealant.html
Old 03-05-11, 08:29 AM
AndyG
Pole Position

Ok after looking further, it appears the films do not have UV protection? I'm thinking of just getting that Wolfgang solution as it claims to protect against UV damage and seeing how it goes for a year. I can't find a good long term review online with pics and given it's only $20, I think I can splurge for the sake of science. ;D
Old 03-05-11, 08:38 AM
01ES300NYC
Pole Position

good luck Andy. hope it works...
Old 03-05-11, 08:40 AM
01ES300NYC
Pole Position

and if u look up the 3m lens kit it suggest using wolfsgangs when finished. keep us updated
Old 03-05-11, 09:03 AM
AndyG
Pole Position

Thanks and I went ahead and ordered it. What I will do is take 'before', 3, 6, 9, and 12 month shots of the headlights based on one application when it arrives so we can compare and see any changes that occur. If it recommends reapplications every so often, I will follow their guidance. If it keeps me from having to refinish these every 6 months to a year, I'll be satisfied. If not, it's still not a worry as I don't mind polishing the headlights until I can get some new ones. Beats the heck out of them looking like crazy.
Old 03-05-11, 12:31 PM
exxonham
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SPKV6
I jst bought the same kit yesterday! Can't wait to use it. Jst have one question. Do you really have to take ouit the headlight?
No I would not worry about it just be careful not to sand part of the bumper, there so many different ways to do this but I just wetsand with 1500 then 2000 and use a cheap buffer on my drill after I sand, and use some plastX again ( No preference) works fine on mine but if you want them to be perfict then take them out which really dosent take too much time
Old 03-05-11, 02:52 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Originally Posted by AndyG
I've been looking at UV sealants since reading more into how you are in fact scrubbing off the sealant that comes from the factory (> btw) wish mixed results.. It seems beyond this every so often, I'd be looking at roughly $400-450 to replace the headlights with new ones with the sealant so this will be ok for another year or so.

Another issue with these headlights I have it the rubber seal or whatever it is has been compromised due to age in various places so replacing these headlights is in order for sure.
Originally Posted by xsh0tya
Well done, Im a little on the fence about taking this on because as mentioned the frequency will increase, but if I can find a some uv sealant... (I wonder what product they use in the factory when they make vechicles?) To guard afterwards I would def take this one on.
You guys misread me. I said UV Resistant Paint because it is much more durable than the UV resistant "sealant" you guys found. It also adds another layer since you removed it and it wont degrade as fast. I'm not trying to mislead you guys but you have to realize that some claims of manufacturers are just claims. That sealant you guys might have purchased may have been a glorified sealant, just rebottled. Marketing does that for you.

If I knew you guys wanted a "sealant", I would have suggested something store bought since it would do the same. If you guys wanted a real sealant, I would have suggested something that is better than things on the market right now. I'd cancel that order with Wolfgang and pick up a bottle of CQuartz nanosealant. That stuff IS uv resistant and it dries to be rock hard and durable. You MUST polish out all swirls under or else it'll trap them in though so thats something you have to watch out for
Old 03-05-11, 05:46 PM
jonicat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tip... We have a cherry 2004 LS430 and the lenses are just starting to discolor. We live in Palm Springs and eventhough we keep the car clean, and garaged the lenses still take a beating. Will try the product you recommended. A little elbow grease never hurt us.
Old 03-12-11, 04:06 PM
rey_L2P
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very detailed, nice write up. thanks.
Old 03-12-11, 08:12 PM
PolishJoe
Rookie

Originally Posted by exxonham
No I would not worry about it just be careful not to sand part of the bumper, there so many different ways to do this but I just wetsand with 1500 then 2000 and use a cheap buffer on my drill after I sand, and use some plastX again ( No preference) works fine on mine but if you want them to be perfict then take them out which really dosent take too much time
Pretty much the same here. I taped off the areas around the lights. Wet sand with 1500 grit. Use a buffer I use for buffing cars. Run it first with rubbing compound. Then a second buff with polishing compound and they look like new. Finish it off with whatever wax you use on your car. Been doing many headlights like this and seen many last for years without yellowing or getting cloudy again.

Of course, give them enough time, the weather and elements and they'll eventually cloud up again. But its a cheap easy fix and well worth it over replacing the entire headlamps.

Quick Reply: DIY: Polishing the Ole Headlights