ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Aim down HID's on a '95ES?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-11, 03:19 PM
immax01
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aim down HID's on a '95ES?

I bought DDM 35w 4500k raptor HIDs. Installed them and they look great!!! I have heard, however, that i should aim them down a bit since the housing isnt made for HIDs so they may blind oncoming drivers... is this true?

I will try to turn my lights on, and drive my wifes car past mine, to see what it looks like, but we are on different schedules and i havent had the chance to do this, so in the meantime would appreciate the advice from you guys. thanks.
Old 01-19-11, 03:28 PM
ASG14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your headlights, although not made for HID's, ARE still projectors. Leave them liek they are, it will be fine.
Old 01-20-11, 05:55 PM
HekkaFlush
Driver School Candidate

Since you have Hids on them, you won't have no problems because of the projectors. Unlike other cars that have no projectors, they glare everywhere and blind oncoming traffic. Other wise, your fine man!
Old 01-20-11, 07:55 PM
BK4293
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would find a nice flat wall and double check your alignment, Halogen projectors will still glare, maybe not as bad as reflector housings, but they still weren't made for HIDs.....

Halogen projectors are made to project lower lumin halogen light vs. the HID projectors which are created to project a higher lumin HID light with a more distinct beam pattern and cut off shield (to prevent blinding on coming cars).

I have 6000k from DDM and readjusted them, I don't have any cats or birds so I figured there was no sense in lighting up tree tops....

One day I'll take mine apart and play with the lens distance to see if I can get a better cut-off line, but it probably won't be tonight...or even tomorrow....

You probably have something like this with your setup noe...

As you can see the blue "bleeding out from all over is what people actually see as "glare" that oncoming traffic sees.
These are pics from HID projectors and what thier cut off should look like...

Here's some decent info I found by googling for a second or two.....
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=418823

Last edited by BK4293; 01-20-11 at 08:08 PM.
Old 01-20-11, 08:21 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Adjust them anyway. Glare is glare. I would feel pretty guilty if I knew that by lowering a few degrees, I could lower the glare a bit. Just do it right and then leave it. The cutoff for our cars are pretty decent for the age. This is what you should expect to see when done correctly...

Keep in mind that I took my headlights apart and cleaned up the dust on the projector bulb itself to help further cut down the glare. Hence why my cutoff is quite sharp
Old 01-20-11, 08:25 PM
BK4293
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have to agree, the cutoff is pretty decent in my ES, I really want to take apart my lights (ones fogging anyway so I'd like to reseal it) and try playing with the lens to get it even sharper...
Old 01-20-11, 09:49 PM
HekkaFlush
Driver School Candidate

DDM is a garbage hid brand just to let you know. It's a cheap 30 dollar Chinese knock off.
Old 01-21-11, 02:14 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Originally Posted by HekkaFlush
DDM is a garbage hid brand just to let you know. It's a cheap 30 dollar Chinese knock off.
Uh huh, and I'm running 3 of them (Apex, DDM, Raptor) successfully for the past 5 years. What makes you think that any of the other kits sold by our vendors are not Chinese made OR have Chinese made components? Your comment had zero help in this thread. Go to the DDM thread and post there, this is a help thread buddy
Old 01-21-11, 03:06 PM
adreano17
Advanced

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

you should always aim it, projectors are useless if not, might as well be reflective. cutoff should be visible to prevent blinding of other drivers, front or back.

by the way, ddm is not garbage at all.
Old 01-21-11, 05:22 PM
kook
Rookie

LMFAO its $30.... obviously its not going to be quality. But then again a lot of people have had good results so who cares if you lose out on a measly $30.

The light above our cutoffs isn't even glare, some guys just bash on lights just because it aint sharp enough, wide enough, or does not have color LOL.

Old 01-22-11, 05:49 AM
immax01
Rookie

Oh, because the "good quality" ones are NOT made in china?

I am very happy with my $40 DDM's. Even if the $400 HID's are better quality, IMO the law of diminishing returns is greatly in effect. There is no way that $400 HID's are 10 times better than the $40 DDM's.

You could have at least backed up your claim with a story from personal experience.

Last edited by immax01; 01-23-11 at 06:44 AM.
Old 01-22-11, 02:15 PM
HekkaFlush
Driver School Candidate

I didn't realize you guys get butt hurt when I bashed on your cheap DDM lights.. I say it's garbage because the hid quality is the same as a regular halogen bulb! But hey, everyone has there opinion on the brand, so whatever. And the hid kits I buy are actually German engineered made, same company that makes hids for Audi, Mercedes, BMW, etc. So don't try bashing on me. Like I tell everyone, don't half *** on your cars and buy cheap **** and just do everything the right way!
Old 01-22-11, 04:37 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

I didn't realize you guys get butt hurt when I bashed on your cheap DDM lights.. I say it's garbage because the hid quality is the same as a regular halogen bulb! But hey, everyone has there opinion on the brand, so whatever. And the hid kits I buy are actually German engineered made, same company that makes hids for Audi, Mercedes, BMW, etc. So don't try bashing on me. Like I tell everyone, don't half *** on your cars and buy cheap **** and just do everything the right way!
You know, you start something in a lot of threads that I read. Considering that you stated that DDM quality is similar to halogens, your comments in this thread mean squat as you don't know what you are talking about. Also, you brought this topic way off topic than what the original OP intended it for.

Just because you buy high end stuff doesn't give you the right to bash others correct? That is my main point. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion as DaveGS4 likes to say, but your opinion had ZERO functional input in this thread other than starting something. Reported for being just plain unreasonable
Old 01-22-11, 05:12 PM
kook
Rookie

Ironically, the only one getting butt hurt here is you. If a half *** $30 kit works, then why bother with "German engineered made (LOL)"?
Old 01-22-11, 06:38 PM
HekkaFlush
Driver School Candidate

Oh you guys are right, my bad if I came in here telling you it's garbage. And this is a forum, everyone has a right to speak there freely opinions. But I guess this forum works differently.

Quick Reply: Aim down HID's on a '95ES?