ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

New member and hopefully new lexus owner soon

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-11, 07:17 AM
SSharon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile New member and hopefully new lexus owner soon

Hi everyone, I just registered today because I'm looking to buy my first lexus (2003 ES 300). The people on the message boards I typically visit don't have the expertise you guys do with cars so here I am.

My father in law's friend is looking to sell his 2003 ES 300 in March (he wants to buy a new lexus and wants to do so after the snow clears). The car itself has just under 100,000 miles, but has been extremely well maintained. My father in law has previously purchased cars from this friend with no problems. The car looks stock to me with no extras like navigation, etc. The car has also been in two fender benders as I noticed and the owner told me that the front and rear bumpers had been repaired.

This would be an upgrade from my current car which is a 1992 Camry LE with 155k miles.

So what is a fair price for this car? KBB says it is worth a tad over $10,000 so is $8,000 a good price? Is there anything else I should know about this car or lexus in general? I'm fairly competent around cars (I changed an engine mount for my camry in my school parking lot during lunch), but I don't know how user serviceable an ES 300 is or how much more expensive the parts are.

Thanks in advance and if I get the car you can be sure you will be seeing much more of me.
Old 01-04-11, 08:45 PM
SSharon
Driver School Candidate

Looks like my overly long first post scared everyone away!
Old 01-04-11, 10:48 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Hell yeah 8k is a good price. You can even get it, flip it and get a newer ES with the profit lol. Everyone here can help u if u run into problems. I was asking everything from oil type to questions about gas when I first registered
Old 01-05-11, 06:04 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by funcrusher
Hell yeah 8k is a good price. You can even get it, flip it and get a newer ES with the profit lol. Everyone here can help u if u run into problems. I was asking everything from oil type to questions about gas when I first registered
check the service records, some big service is usually done @ 90-100K.
$10K probably high for the '10, $8K sounds better.
Old 01-05-11, 06:20 AM
SSharon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by funcrusher
Thanks for the input! If I get the car I won't flip it because like I said I'm buying it from a friend/neighbor of my father in law who lives a few blocks away and will notice if I end up with a newer model.

Good to know that you got a lot of help here. I would have asked about gas too, but I already decided I'm fine using regular.

Originally Posted by EJC
check the service records, some big service is usually done @ 90-100K.
$10K probably high for the '10, $8K sounds better.
I will definitely check all the records, but I know the car has been very well maintained with service done exactly when it is scheduled to be done. The guy doesn't want to buy himself a new car until March just because he doesn't want it to get dirty with snow for crying out loud. Anyway, you are right that in terms of mileage it is at a big milestone and I know it is due for a new timing belt. I had searched for recommended maintenance items, but now I can't find the link of course.
Old 01-05-11, 07:08 AM
EJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by SSharon
Thanks for the input! If I get the car I won't flip it because like I said I'm buying it from a friend/neighbor of my father in law who lives a few blocks away and will notice if I end up with a newer model.

Good to know that you got a lot of help here. I would have asked about gas too, but I already decided I'm fine using regular.

I will definitely check all the records, but I know the car has been very well maintained with service done exactly when it is scheduled to be done. The guy doesn't want to buy himself a new car until March just because he doesn't want it to get dirty with snow for crying out loud. Anyway, you are right that in terms of mileage it is at a big milestone and I know it is due for a new timing belt. I had searched for recommended maintenance items, but now I can't find the link of course.
BTW, did he use synthetic oil?
some cars had sludge problem in the '02-04 model. didn't happen w/ synthetic. This car doesn't seem to be one of the problem cars.

Ask the owner to let you see the manual when you look at the maintenance records. You can also stop by a dealer and see the dealers list, but it will have more items recommended = more $$$$ for dealer. It still gives you an idea, and some of those items may still be worth doing even though not on the Lexus list.
Old 01-05-11, 07:12 AM
SSharon
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EJC
BTW, did he use synthetic oil?
some cars had sludge problem in the '02-04 model. didn't happen w/ synthetic. This car doesn't seem to be one of the problem cars.

Ask the owner to let you see the manual when you look at the maintenance records. You can also stop by a dealer and see the dealers list, but it will have more items recommended = more $$$$ for dealer. It still gives you an idea, and some of those items may still be worth doing even though not on the Lexus list.
I'm not sure what oil he used, only that this is the type of guy to change it every 3000 miles on the dot and always did so at the dealer (not in the driveway like I sometimes do). He probably did all of the optional and recommended dealer servicing too, but I will definitely confirm what has been done.

Speaking of sludge problem . . . mechanics have been telling me there is sludge in my engine for the last 50,000 miles or so. Hasn't been a big problem and I've been afraid to mess with something that isn't broken and might make things worse. Plus, my car has enough other issues to keep me busy.
Old 01-05-11, 07:19 AM
EJC
Instructor

Originally Posted by SSharon
I'm not sure what oil he used, only that this is the type of guy to change it every 3000 miles on the dot and always did so at the dealer (not in the driveway like I sometimes do). He probably did all of the optional and recommended dealer servicing too, but I will definitely confirm what has been done.

Speaking of sludge problem . . . mechanics have been telling me there is sludge in my engine for the last 50,000 miles or so. Hasn't been a big problem and I've been afraid to mess with something that isn't broken and might make things worse. Plus, my car has enough other issues to keep me busy.
If he was that ****, sludge probably is not an issue.