ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-1st-to-4th-gen-1990-2006-179/)
-   -   i feel so embarrassed (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-1st-to-4th-gen-1990-2006/48391-i-feel-so-embarrassed.html)

j2tha0e 05-27-02 04:40 PM

i feel so embarrassed

today when i was comming home from werk, i saw a stock volkswagen golf and i decided to flash my hazzards and on went a race. we were pretty equal to begin with but then off he went.
gosh....
now i need some preformance parts.
i can usually kill civics and such, i dun get how a stock golf could've killed me.
any of you guys got any embarrassing losses?

EGainer 05-27-02 05:20 PM

yeah, i can keep up with a v6 97' camaro. i hate losing to old people. like old folks in v8 crown vics

blux 05-28-02 01:07 PM

werd up

dood so flashin the hazards is like race talk or somthin?

j2tha0e 05-28-02 01:20 PM

ya, i'm thinking flashing the hazzards would instigate a race.

LexFather 05-28-02 01:46 PM

I think I may know almost better than anyone that the ES 300 is not a racing car.:D Good try but keep your car clean and they will respect it.

blux 05-28-02 01:56 PM

aight... ;)

Nabeel 05-28-02 02:24 PM

Was the golf a GTI? If so, any newer GTI (1.8T or Vr6) would give the ES300 a serious ass kicking in a race. No point racing an ES300 anyway, its a slow car, except for the 5-speed versions which are surprisingly quick.

mcelligott 05-28-02 06:16 PM

Originally posted by Nabeel
No point racing an ES300 anyway, its a slow car, except for the 5-speed versions which are surprisingly quick.
dude, there's not much of a difference :(

j2tha0e 05-28-02 06:34 PM

is my car really that slow?
i've read repetedly that this car isn't that fast, but i swear i can kill quite a few cars on the freeway.

i guess it just must be skills.:D

alight, so if my car is slow as stock, is there potential with mods?

blux 05-28-02 06:43 PM

dood I dont think our cars are slow....compared to other cars I have driven....the lex is suprizingly fast... Ive killed many, usualy some pos...haha although this guy in a 02 sebring convert owned me, I didnt have my pwr button on so...it was kinda lame... </random>

TheBigGuyRy 05-28-02 07:00 PM

Definetly like the idea of droppin a supercharger on. That would give those silly domestic stock mustangs and camaros a run for their money.

Faraaz23 05-29-02 08:58 AM

if u want performance parts, go to www.weapon-r.com they have an ECU for 95+ ES300's i believe. You can also get an air intake and airbox from them. I'm not sure how much all this would help as far as speed (even though intake might give u a cool noise)... but then again when u take off from a stoplight with someone, every lil bit helps.

EGainer 05-29-02 09:06 AM

try making your own performance parts. i am looking into making my own cold air intake

EGainer 05-29-02 09:09 AM

about the respecting thing. i have found that people don't respect old es300s. it seems that they thiink i am drving a camry. so it really gets them when i pull away from the light with my engine growling and moving with some speed. our cars can beat many cars, excluding sports cars.

blux 05-29-02 12:16 PM

w0rd up to that EG....these peeps are like look, its an old es...then we kick there asses..... WHA WHA WHAT!!

</humor>

j2tha0e 05-29-02 12:23 PM

about the respecting thing. i have found that people don't respect old es300s. it seems that they thiink i am drving a camry

actually, i don't think at all that my car looks like or could be mistaken for a Camry.

there are similarities but i don't think there is enough of one to mistake the two.

front, back, windows are different. i think that would be enough to distinguish the two models.

LEXBERG 05-29-02 01:21 PM

I don't know much about mods, what can I do for more speed & better acceleration???

EGainer 05-30-02 06:15 AM

most people can't even tell that it is an es, unless they are a car person. usually it's "oh, this lexus thinks they can beat me. ha ha ha"

oh i'm not saying that they think your car is a camry. i'm saying that they will compare it and say oh, its only as fast as a camry. its a midsize sedan with no power or elegance

EGainer 05-30-02 06:19 AM

you can get a filter, intake, cold air intake, mufler, NOS, advance timing(only one person has done this) and a few other things.
I am still learning though, so I can't help you that much. I am going to try to make my own cold air intake pretty soon. I have my filter so I'm going for the works

Lexpusher96 05-30-02 02:41 PM

I just don't understand why anyone wants to try to race an ES. I like to drive fast, and at 140 mph, you can outrun several vehicles in an ES. But it's not a drag car. They are meant to cruise comfortably and have just enough power to climb a hill without strugglin. My ES can't begin to hang with my '94 Civic until it tops out at 133mph. But my Civic can't compare interior-wise to the ES. You guys can do all you want to the ES with your intakes and crap, but it will always be slow.

"I don't drag race mine, I just drag it"
http://www.tuckintoyz.com/images/lex/forsale5.jpg

toyotagabor 05-30-02 06:29 PM

I have owned a number of cars and motorcycles including sportbikes.My 99 es 300(soon to be replaced with an '02) is pretty fast in my opinion.Not too many other cars have beaten me in most freeway/street road conditions.It's acceleration reminds me of my old '72 Monte Carlo which had a 350 cu. inch V-8.And it has never required a valve job!

meZoom! 05-30-02 08:25 PM

acceleration and first gear on the ES is excellent in my opinion. if youve ever driven a rwd car like the GS, you can tell that there is a split second from when you punch the gas pedal to when the car actually starts moving. the ES is a relatively light car and when you step on it, it moves. reminds me a little bit how a rotary engine car acts. imo, the ES, when kept clean and all, is a keeper.

LEXBERG 05-31-02 06:52 AM

I agree the initial acceleration on the ES is great, but it's not a sports car its a luxury car. All I know is when I leave the light all I can see is the other cars in my rear view!!!!!

EGainer 05-31-02 08:15 AM

yes, accell is good, also when it growls

BAWLEX94 06-01-02 03:44 PM

nevermind

Nabeel 06-03-02 12:14 PM

The ES will always be a relatively slow car unless you do something major (ie supercharger, etc.). With that said, I've driven a 5-speed ES and it felt quite a bit quicker than my auto. It had much more of a free-revving feel and seemed to have a stronger midrange, but this is probably because of the shorter ratios of the 5-spd vs the 4-spd auto. The shift linkage needed some work, but I was having fun driving the 5-spd ES - something I can't say about my auto ES.

EGainer 06-03-02 12:22 PM

sean says that his 5 speed doesnt seem much quicker than the auto. and he has parts on his also. he said it had slower accelleration, but quicker acceleration only in the high end

mcelligott 06-03-02 12:40 PM

Yea, i hate launching mine or punching it going slow, just because of the horrid wheel hop. Otherwise, i'm pretty happy with the accelleration. And, it puts my 2002 to shame :)

Nabeel 06-04-02 09:56 AM

Really? The manual ES I drove was a '92, and it felt quite a bit faster than my '93 auto. Perhaps it was just a 'stronger' car than usual.

SecPole14 06-04-02 12:13 PM

Racing ES= Bad idea. There's no aftermarket for it. It's easy to beat. People should give up on the ES as some sort of performance car. It isn't and wasn't intended to be one.

It was intended to be nice and luxurious, etc. And it's a great success in those respects.

What you can do to an ES is drop it, put some rims on, maybe a nice body kit, etc. No one can argue about a sharply-dressed ES, no matter how fast their car is. :cool:

LEXBERG 06-04-02 12:54 PM

TRUE

Nabeel 06-04-02 05:37 PM

I fully agree with wantAnewLex.

EGainer 06-05-02 08:00 AM

i will race my lexus as much as i would race any other car. my car isn't made for going fast, of course not, but i am a kid. i want to race my car. and for everyone who says "buy a new car", i can't. my parents bought mine, after i traded my first one, i would have got an SC, but my dad had already ok'd the delivery of my ES. i would have a new car, that is sporty or had a V8. but while i have my lexus, i am going to race it

TheBigGuyRy 06-06-02 12:08 AM

Besides, for guys like Eric and me an ES is a pretty good car. I mean for every late highschool/college guy out there who drives a new modded IS or something even nicer, there's 6 or 7 who drive old jeeps and 88 honda accords.

When I'm 40-50 I intend on driving a heckuva lot nicer car than this.

So I'd say we've got pretty nice cars for our age, fast or not.

It sure can outrun my mom's new accord. :)

EGainer 06-06-02 07:49 AM

how old are you big guy?

line-up at my school (well, my old one, ive graduated now)
my 94 ES
90 LS
2001 IS
93 BMW 325i
2001 BMW 325ti
97 range rover
98 range rover
2002 mini cooper
2001 PT cruiser
lots of new honda civics
new and old mustangs (i hate 'em)
lots of old cars

Nabeel 06-06-02 08:44 AM

Yeah, I've graduated as well, but there were some very nice cars in my school's parking lot.

Honda S2000
2 Nissan 300ZX
2 Porsche 944 (mine was one of 'em!)
Mercedes C43 AMG (nice car...it was fast!)
'94 and '96 ES300 (plus my '93 on the few days I drove it to school)
Lots of newer Mustangs, including a new Cobra
A few modded Hondas, mostly rice, but some were seriously very nice
3 Miatas
1 new Audi A4
1 new Volvo S60
1 new BMW 330CiC
'95 BMW 325i
quite a few Jettas- new ones
1 Porsche Boxster
'97 BMW M3
'01 Mercedes SLK
ton of Eclipses
1 old MG- sweet car
'90 and '94 LS400
'92 SC300
'01 RX300
'97 Mercedes E320

Those are all the nice ones I can remember off the top of my head, I probably missed a few. But other than the cars listed above, there were a ton of old, beat up cars in the parking lot. I feel really blessed and thankful for what I have.

Kyle Harty 06-06-02 10:36 AM

I graduated a couple years ago, there were some decent cars at my school but not too many modded since most were mom and dad's car. There was a guy who's parents bought him a '92 or '93 ES, put 17's and a stereo in it. They sold the ES and bought him a '98 or '99 Benz, don't know the particulars on it but damn nice.

I like knowing I bought my car and everything on it myself; but I didn't drive decent cars until I was out of school. IMO, an older ES is a real nice car for someone just out of school. A nice set of wheels will do wonders for the appearance, alot of people I talk to love the car. They aren't the type who are used to brand new luxury cars, but then most of us aren't when we're 20.

On the subject, I don't race; but I don't think the ES is real slow either. I used to have a '94 Civic EX, and the Lex feels quicker. Published 0-60 times are about the same, but there seems to be a little difference. It also feels quicker than my parents '95 Accord EX 4 cyl. I've never raced the two or done a real good direct comparison, but the Lexus seems quicker to me. Also, definitely more refined and classy interior than either.

meZoom! 06-06-02 12:22 PM

gawwwwdaaaaaanmmmm. people with riches. i think at least 75% of the kids in my grade when i was a senior in high school had to take the bus. c/o 2000 btw. only cars i remember in the lot were something like:

my ES
chevy tracker (she crashed it 3x in a yr tho)
a few pre 92 camrys
the usual civics
a 97? eclipse convertible (jim brown's daughter's)
a mustang that got egged
a neon
and a whole bunch of other cars not worth digging in my memory for

EGainer 06-06-02 12:24 PM

whoa! quite a few cars there. now that you mention it, i forgot some. but it's all good. relatively, we have some good cars. i mean, you could be driving a gremlin, or a pacer

TheBigGuyRy 06-06-02 12:26 PM

I'm 18, just graduated, and unfortunetly, my stupid rich punk school's parking lot kills all of ya'lls....

I've seen two completely restored Mustang Shelbies, a few newer Corvettes, a Viper, 8 or 9 Beemers, 2 new IS300s, a new LX470, 2 or 3 new Mercedes sports cars (I don't know the name of them), 4 or 5 huge lifted trucks... one of my friends is getting a Lotus Esprit next year, and to top it all off.... (*sigh*) a 360 Modena. I had never even seen a Ferrari before, let alone walked by one.

It's probably one of the richest schools in North Carolina, it was kind of depressing going there 4 years, having my old 92 ES300. But I like it, it's nicer than some of the 88 Camry's I see!