ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Oil Change interval with synthetic oils

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-09, 11:04 AM
ALarsh
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Oil Change interval with synthetic oils

1997 ES300 - 60,000 +/- miles

For my last oil change I changed my oil with Mobil 1 full synthetic and Napa Gold / WIX oil filter. I don't think one could use better products.

My question is in the oil change interval. I know these engines are very sensitive to dirty oil clogging some of the passages resulting in sludge which is why I am asking this question. On my past cars that were not known for this problem, I would change the oil every 6,000 miles (even though most say 10,000 miles is okay), watching the level every thousand miles to make sure it was okay. Is it safe to say that I could change the oil every 6,000 miles on this engine or is it not recommended?

Who is using synthetic (preferably mobil 1) and what interval are you changing at?
Old 07-22-09, 01:09 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by ALarsh

For my last oil change I changed my oil with Mobil 1 full synthetic and Napa Gold / WIX oil filter. I don't think one could use better products.

My question is in the oil change interval. I know these engines are very sensitive to dirty oil clogging some of the passages resulting in sludge which is why I am asking this question. On my past cars that were not known for this problem, I would change the oil every 6,000 miles (even though most say 10,000 miles is okay), watching the level every thousand miles to make sure it was okay. Is it safe to say that I could change the oil every 6,000 miles on this engine or is it not recommended?

Who is using synthetic (preferably mobil 1) and what interval are you changing at?
There are some great threads about this in the maintenance forum or search under oil change.

Depending on how u drive also determines when u need an oil change.

5-6k is fine IMO.
Old 07-23-09, 02:03 AM
ESeries300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get my oil changed every 3,000 miles at the toyota dealership and they too use mobil, but i use the toyota oil filter.. i know people who work there and they say the oil change can last up to about 5,000 miles, really depends on how you drive also
Old 07-23-09, 08:17 AM
ktranne
Rookie

if you use full synthetic oil. 6k is good IMO. But I change the oil filter at 3k. I use Toyota oil filter. Buy the oil filter 10 at a time and I get a discount.
Old 07-23-09, 10:04 PM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I get my oil changed every 3,000 miles, but I use a Synthetic Blend, not full syn.
Old 07-24-09, 04:26 AM
BDSL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a 97 ES300 with 206k. I use full synthetic.
I change the oil every 8k.
I change the filter every 4k.
Old 07-24-09, 06:17 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up

My 05 ES is still under powertrain warranty so I have to follow the intervals of 6 months or 5k miles.....I use Amsoil 5W 30 & the Amsoil EAO oil filters.

Once the powertrain warranty has expired, I will simply change it every 6 months regardless of mileage (which will probably be around & 6 - 7k miles).
Old 07-24-09, 10:30 AM
Motil10108
Driver

sorry to kind of thread jack, but ALarsh, have you been using Mobil 1 since day one? Or did you make a switch from conventional. I was wondering since i've got a '98 with right around 66K miles and wanted to know how if your runs a little smoother with the synthetic. With all the oil topics and sludge stories of the 1mzfe, i was a little curious.

on the side, i really want to make the switch since i do my own oil. Also the meijer by me has Mobil1 gallons for 15$, WOW. almost too hard to pass up.

I would definitely agree with 1SICKLEX, driving habits and type of driving you do(highway vs stop/go) is a factor to keep in mind. Just keep your eye on the oil levels and change accordingly.
Old 07-24-09, 05:47 PM
dugw
Driver School Candidate

http://fatwallet.cachefly.net/attach...eformblank.pdf

here is a rebate for mobil 1
Old 07-24-09, 06:00 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Motil10108
sorry to kind of thread jack, but ALarsh, have you been using Mobil 1 since day one? Or did you make a switch from conventional. I was wondering since i've got a '98 with right around 66K miles and wanted to know how if your runs a little smoother with the synthetic. With all the oil topics and sludge stories of the 1mzfe, i was a little curious.

on the side, i really want to make the switch since i do my own oil. Also the meijer by me has Mobil1 gallons for 15$, WOW. almost too hard to pass up.

I would definitely agree with 1SICKLEX, driving habits and type of driving you do(highway vs stop/go) is a factor to keep in mind. Just keep your eye on the oil levels and change accordingly.
If your engine is mechanically sound with no leaks....you will have no issues making the switch.....and yes you notice a difference.

$15 per 1 gallon jug for Mobil 1? Wow....do they have a limit to the amount you can buy? If not stock up bigtime & take advantage of the longer drain intervals.
Old 07-25-09, 08:08 PM
Motil10108
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexusfreak
If your engine is mechanically sound with no leaks....you will have no issues making the switch.....and yes you notice a difference.

$15 per 1 gallon jug for Mobil 1? Wow....do they have a limit to the amount you can buy? If not stock up bigtime & take advantage of the longer drain intervals.
Yeah, the car is a 100% mechanically sound DD with absolutely no leaks/squeals. I think i'll give it a shot in a couple months.

But yeah, $15 !!!! I had to double check twice and make sure it really was Mobil 1 Full Synthetic 10w30 and 5w30. (it was)

I think with the synthetic i would still stick to the 5000 mile interval. I feel that using the synthetic stuff would give me peace of mind because of it's composition, and a little more leeway towards stretching out these intervals if need be.

time to stockpile
Old 07-26-09, 03:07 AM
alaskaty
Pole Position

I have a 98 with 112k on it and i've been using Mobil 1 syn with a mobil oil filter since i bought it with 87k. No new leaks, no problems, I just change it every 5k (oil and filter) plus I know if I go over to 5200 or 5300 it's still going strong (some people run synthetic for 7500 miles)
Old 07-26-09, 05:33 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by dugw
Is there a coupon for Castrol?
Old 07-26-09, 09:39 PM
ALarsh
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Motil10108

I started changing the oil with Mobil 1 at 55,000 miles and have not had any issues with the switch. Just got back from a 600 mile trip with 3 guys and cargo for the weekend, must have been 1,000 lbs total and we got 28.7 mpg doing 75-80 mph.

Runs excellent, what a great car.
Old 07-27-09, 08:17 PM
Motil10108
Driver

I started changing the oil with Mobil 1 at 55,000 miles and have not had any issues with the switch. Just got back from a 600 mile trip with 3 guys and cargo for the weekend, must have been 1,000 lbs total and we got 28.7 mpg doing 75-80 mph.

Runs excellent, what a great car.
Hey, thanks for the reply.
Wow, your getting some pretty serious gas mileage there for all the weight you were hauling around.

Quick Reply: Oil Change interval with synthetic oils