ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

ECU Location?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-08, 10:16 PM
Olnick
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU Location?

Hi all. Am trying to help a lady with her '93 ES300 and have some questions.

Where is the ecu (ecm) located? Is it hard to get out? Would appreciate any tricks/helpful suggestions.

Also, what is the procedure to pull stored codes--I assume a '93 is OBD-1? I've tried searching but had no luck.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-22-08, 09:39 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Olnick
Hi all. Am trying to help a lady with her '93 ES300 and have some questions.

Where is the ecu (ecm) located? Is it hard to get out? Would appreciate any tricks/helpful suggestions.
The ECM is behind the glove box.

Also, what is the procedure to pull stored codes--I assume a '93 is OBD-1? I've tried searching but had no luck.

Thanks in advance.

Short TE1 & E1 of the Data Link Connector 1 (diagnostic port) which is located under the hood, at the back of the engine bay on the passenger side - a small black rectangular box - with a wire, paper clip, etc. to put the ECM into diagnostic mode 1, which will make the CEL flash any stored trouble codes.

Hint: In the event of two or more malfunction codes, indication will begin from the smaller numbered code and continue in order to the larger.

Steps:

1) Turn ignition switch on but do not start engine.
2) Connect terminals between TE1 and E1
3) Read the diagnostic trouble code from the CEL (check engine light)
4) After checking the codes disconnect TE1 and E1 and turn off the display.

Last edited by Lexucan; 06-23-08 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Added FSM illustrations
Old 06-22-08, 11:15 AM
Olnick
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Lexucan, really appreciate the help. Will do the diagnostic mode next time I'm at the car.

But I'm still confused about the ECU. I pulled the under dash cover below the glovebox and saw what looked like computer(s) stacked horizontally with a bunch of bolted in bracing. Seems like it'd be a real bear to access!

Then--to further confuse me-- I found something somewhere that said ECU is under the passenger side floorboard, you pull back the carpet to get to it. I'll look there when I can but the car is on the other side of town.

Help!!!
Old 06-23-08, 08:43 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Olnick
Thanks Lexucan, really appreciate the help. Will do the diagnostic mode next time I'm at the car.

But I'm still confused about the ECU. I pulled the under dash cover below the glovebox and saw what looked like computer(s) stacked horizontally with a bunch of bolted in bracing. Seems like it'd be a real bear to access!

Then--to further confuse me-- I found something somewhere that said ECU is under the passenger side floorboard, you pull back the carpet to get to it. I'll look there when I can but the car is on the other side of town.

Help!!!
Added a bit more info for you, hope it helps.
Old 06-23-08, 09:16 AM
Olnick
Driver School Candidate

Wow--everything I could ever want to know about it!

Really appreciate the diagrams. Big mahalos Lexucan.
Old 10-30-11, 10:20 AM
futures
Driver School Candidate

Lexican -1- could not access your reply to Olnick ? Trying to find OBD plug in for 93 ES300 if there is one . 2-Also I am baffled by rough idling ,car shakes only at 1000 rpms or lower ,otherwise drives fine - no lights on .Replaced EGR ,pcv hose -can't identify any leaks,cleaned intake manifold valve ,plugs look good .Any suggestions. Pete in Calgary.
Old 10-30-17, 02:03 PM
Chadparker
Driver School Candidate

Default Gx470 Lexus 2005

Have problem with air suspension.Everything get in and atart the compressor doesn't start up and rise to H or L on its own. Have to push the button. Then it comes on and rises. Use to do automatically when start truck. What coyld be the problem??
Old 10-30-17, 07:06 PM
DocLiving
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by futures
Lexican -1- could not access your reply to Olnick ? Trying to find OBD plug in for 93 ES300 if there is one . 2-Also I am baffled by rough idling ,car shakes only at 1000 rpms or lower ,otherwise drives fine - no lights on .Replaced EGR ,pcv hose -can't identify any leaks,cleaned intake manifold valve ,plugs look good .Any suggestions. Pete in Calgary.
There is a round obd plug on my 92 under the driver's side of the dash by the fuse holder and a regular one located in the passenger side of the engine compartment by the firewall. It should be the same for your 93.

Also how many miles are on the car? That will possible give me ideas about the rough idling.

EDIT: Sorry didn't see that your post was old but it should help others that are looking for the plugs too.

Last edited by DocLiving; 10-30-17 at 07:10 PM.