ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2000 Es 300 Vsc Vsc Off Check Engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-08, 02:53 PM
cocora64
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2000 Es 300 Vsc Vsc Off Check Engine

I Read A Thread On This Problem Before And Someone Suggested That It May Be A Coil Issue But That They Needed The Scanning Codes; Well I Took It To Auto Zone And Here Are The Codes: P0171, P1130, P1135, P1150 And P1155. I Appreciate Any Help On This Matter So I Can Get My Father On The Road And Away From My Car. Thanks.
Old 05-20-08, 06:21 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

These are actually A/F sensors. In this particular case, you are getting error codes for both of them, bank 1 and 2. Both of them are located just off the exhaust manifold (front and back of the engine) Before I would replace both of them (because it is kind of royal PITA, especially the rear one), I would HIGHLY suggest (and I don't know if AutoZone will do this for free) have someone with a more advanced OBD2 scanner that can read the readings of the two A/F sensors, see what numbers are showing up to see if they really are in error. The P0171 error is a lean error, but it often shows up with one or more of these codes, but that's not the issue.

You can drive the car, but you will be wasting a lot more fuel for the time being.
Old 05-20-08, 08:59 AM
cocora64
Driver School Candidate

thank you very much, i already replaced both sensors and you are right, that rear one aint easy, i will take the car to a more advanced scanner to see what else is wrong and i would really appreciate it if you would stay in touch because your help is gratly appreciated. javier
Old 01-29-13, 03:55 PM
KELVIN84
Driver School Candidate

Default p0171 Bannk 1 systems too lean

2000 ES300

So i bought an Oxygen Sensor the front one yesterday and today around 1600 hrs driving home the CEL and TRAC light came on.Drove straight to my mechanic and it still showed the same Error code.Mechanic reset it again and advised me to drive around the next couple of Days and see what happens.

Crazy code is driving me Crazy.Any help will be greatly Appreciated
Old 01-30-13, 10:41 AM
KELVIN84
Driver School Candidate

Angry Update

was told could be a vacuum leak or injection system problem being dirt,so bought some injection cleaning and reset ....will check on it to see whether the cel come back on
Old 01-30-13, 12:00 PM
moonphase
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the rubber air tube running from the air cleaner box to the throttle body for cracks, or loose clamps. Buy a can of MAF sensor cleaner and remove (noting proper direction) and clean the mass Air flow sensor with the spray only, ie: don't touch the inside of the sensor with anything. Just spray it and let the cleaner drain out, then let it air dry and reinstall in the air box. Check also for vacuum leaks. Denso brand oxygen sensors are a little less expensive on Amazon.com!
Old 01-30-13, 01:13 PM
KELVIN84
Driver School Candidate

Checked and found that on one of the sides that the MAF screws In, the thread that holds the screw has come loose,so there is a gap. Taped it up to ensure it stays sealed in and reset the codes. by the way how does one glue the thread back, I'm assuming that could have been the cause of the vaccine leak, keeping fingers crossed because the last two times after replacing the O2 I barely made it home without the check engine coming on. Quick.
Old 01-30-13, 03:14 PM
moonphase
Driver

Any air that enters the intake system at or past the MAF sensor is not seen by the computer, but the oxygen sensor will see it and report as a lean condition because the computer did not add fuel to compensate for that air from the leak. The oxygen sensor can't see fuel, just the unburned oxygen!
If the screw hole for the MAF is stripped out, you might use some JB weld to fill in the hole, and re drill for size. If the rubber air tube is cracked or torn, you can use tape temporarily, but you shouldn't leave it that way.
Old 01-31-13, 04:11 AM
KELVIN84
Driver School Candidate

the metal hole that the screw,screws is what came of moonphase

Last edited by KELVIN84; 01-31-13 at 04:18 AM. Reason: error
Old 01-31-13, 05:10 AM
moonphase
Driver

Kelvin84; Apply JB weld to outside of the metal insert and push it back in the hole. Let the JB Weld cure and then reinstall the sensor and screws. Try the "JB Weld Quick" for a faster repair time. JB Weld is oil resistant, and holds good. The codes you see are for consistently lean reading on bank one sensor one, and O2 sensor heater slow response time so the oxygen sensors might be failing. The throttle position sensor is in the circuit for the oxygen sensor heater, and since both front, and back sensors are reporting heater slow operation, I would be more inclined to think that the throttle position sensor is the failing part instead of the oxygen sensors. Good Luck!
Old 01-31-13, 10:30 PM
KELVIN84
Driver School Candidate

just jb Welded last night will put everything together today
Old 02-04-13, 03:34 AM
KELVIN84
Driver School Candidate

took out the old TPS sensor and put a new one on Saturday and this morning was stopped at a kolaches place and the CEL and trac lights came on...i have Changed Bank 1 oxygen sensor as well

Last edited by KELVIN84; 02-04-13 at 03:34 AM. Reason: error
Old 02-04-13, 03:19 PM
moonphase
Driver

Hi Kelvin84;
Can you go to autozone and get the codes read for free and let us know what they are? Does the exhaust smell like it is running rich, or a stinky sulfur smell with whitish smoke? If you have time, you might clean the throttle valve from both ends.
Old 02-04-13, 03:27 PM
KELVIN84
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by moonphase
Hi Kelvin84;
Can you go to autozone and get the codes read for free and let us know what they are? Does the exhaust smell like it is running rich, or a stinky sulfur smell with whitish smoke? If you have time, you might clean the throttle valve from both ends.
the code i am getting is P0171 BANK 1 System too Lean.

I have already replaced the Front Oxygen sensor already and the TPS sensor as well.i was made to understand that these Lexus has 4 Oxygen sensors,as in 2 in the front and two in the back.

I haven't seen any Whitish Smoke yet and how would a running rich exhaust smell like?

Thanks Moonphase
Old 02-04-13, 03:29 PM
KELVIN84
Driver School Candidate

PS:all i did was pull out the old TPS sensor and put in a new one

Quick Reply: 2000 Es 300 Vsc Vsc Off Check Engine