ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

leaking transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-08, 05:32 AM
GiantsInFL
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry leaking transmission fluid

Hey guys, I finally got my car back from the dealer I originally bought the car from after they replaced the head gasket (they got it from lexus and it cost over $200.00 so I believe its more than just the head gasket), timing belt, water pump, and radiator fan motor. The car was running now without overheating which is great (although now the car seems to run a little louder than before, I have no idea why, but I was just happy that it was running without overheating. It just sounds louder when I hit the gas, like some exaust problem) but after using the car on friday, when I woke up on saturday my wife saw that the car leaked transmission fluid on the driveway.

So after 3 weeks of it over heating, now I have a transmission leak that the car didnt have to begin with. Anyone have any ideas on if someone was doing all that work on what could have happened? The car is at my mechanics shop, hoping he can look at it sometime today. Oh and its more than just a small spot, it leaves like a good 7-8 inch round spot.

by the way I have a 96 ES300

Last edited by GiantsInFL; 03-10-08 at 05:58 AM.
Old 03-10-08, 08:30 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

It'd be interesting to know where the leak is coming from, a photo would help, as I know a few areas where these leaks can crop up and why.
Old 03-10-08, 10:30 AM
GiantsInFL
Rookie

lol yea I guess that would help. I didnt think about that at the time, My wife and I are just beyond frustrated with this whole car situiation. But the car is sitting at my mechanics shop waiting to be looked at right now. Im hoping for the least possible repair cost.
Old 03-10-08, 10:41 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

Let me know if they find something.
Old 03-10-08, 04:42 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GiantsInFL
Hey guys, I finally got my car back from the dealer I originally bought the car from after they replaced the head gasket (they got it from lexus and it cost over $200.00 so I believe its more than just the head gasket), timing belt, water pump, and radiator fan motor. The car was running now without overheating which is great (although now the car seems to run a little louder than before, I have no idea why, but I was just happy that it was running without overheating. It just sounds louder when I hit the gas, like some exaust problem) but after using the car on friday, when I woke up on saturday my wife saw that the car leaked transmission fluid on the driveway.

So after 3 weeks of it over heating, now I have a transmission leak that the car didnt have to begin with. Anyone have any ideas on if someone was doing all that work on what could have happened? The car is at my mechanics shop, hoping he can look at it sometime today. Oh and its more than just a small spot, it leaves like a good 7-8 inch round spot.

by the way I have a 96 ES300
Wow, I feel your pain and frustration, GiantsInFL !!
You've had it less than a month and since then it's been in the shop for repair after repair. Kind of takes the joy out of buying the car to begin with. If it were mine, I'd be returning it to the place I got it from and demanding my money back. I think you mentioned (in a previous post regarding all the problems you've had with it since you bought it) that the owner of the dealership is the friend of a family member? If that's the case, wouldn't he perhaps be willing to make things right with you?
Old 03-11-08, 05:56 AM
GiantsInFL
Rookie

Originally Posted by Lexucan
Wow, I feel your pain and frustration, GiantsInFL !!
You've had it less than a month and since then it's been in the shop for repair after repair. Kind of takes the joy out of buying the car to begin with. If it were mine, I'd be returning it to the place I got it from and demanding my money back. I think you mentioned (in a previous post regarding all the problems you've had with it since you bought it) that the owner of the dealership is the friend of a family member? If that's the case, wouldn't he perhaps be willing to make things right with you?

Yes I have only driven the car for 2 nights (and now today) out of 3 weeks that I have owned it, so needless to say that this entire situation is very frustrating. And yea he knows my inlaws but he already said that he will not take it back and that he would make it right by fixing the car and charge for parts only, no labor on anything. I just wish it was all fixed now.

I got the car back last night, the mechanic said that it was a loose bolt due to a bad washer. So he said that he replaced the washer and tightened the bolt. However the car still leaks tranmission fluid. Not as much as before granted, but it still leaks. Best I can tell without me looking at the car jacked up (now mind you I dont know much about cars at all) is that its leaking right by the passenger side front wheel, there is a smooth surface there and it seems to be coming from that spot. The leaking like I said isnt nearly as bad as before but it is still there, so with my money situation being what it is, I will take it to someone in 2 weeks after I get paid. I just wish the car would be working fine, its just one less thing my wife and I would have to worry about.
Old 03-11-08, 09:35 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Yes I have only driven the car for 2 nights (and now today) out of 3 weeks that I have owned it
Well, I guess all you can do is look at the bright side - you've saved quite a bit of money on gas by not driving it much since you bought it.
Hope it all turns out well for ya...keep us posted.
Old 03-11-08, 10:00 AM
GiantsInFL
Rookie

yea and now there seems to be a problem with the exhaust, when I went to lunch all the sudden it sounded like I was driving a diesel truck. We are going to take it back to the mechanic and have the transmission guy look at it and hopefully they can tell me what happened with my exhaust as well.
Old 03-11-08, 11:04 AM
GiantsInFL
Rookie

after thinking about it and taking a closer listen, it seems that the exhaust problem is underneath the car and I'm guessing, but maybe when they did all that work to my car and replacing the gasket, but they didnt seem to tighten that connection up. Because before the car was silent and after I got it back it had some exhaust noise that just now got worse so Im assuming thats it. But the leak is obviously my big problem.
Old 03-11-08, 04:35 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

after thinking about it and taking a closer listen, it seems that the exhaust problem is underneath the car and I'm guessing, but maybe when they did all that work to my car and replacing the gasket, but they didnt seem to tighten that connection up. Because before the car was silent and after I got it back it had some exhaust noise that just now got worse so Im assuming thats it. But the leak is obviously my big problem.
Yep, I remember you saying that the car sounded louder after they replaced the head gasket. If it's just a loose connection, that should be an easy fix, but I'd at least advise the dealer about it right away so he understands that the problem was connected to the head gasket job and doesn't tell you when you do go to have it checked that it's your problem and not his.
Old 03-12-08, 07:01 AM
GiantsInFL
Rookie

well I got home I jacked the car up so I can take a look at the exhaust problem, hoping it was loose bolts or something inexpensive. With my luck it was not so easy. Now once again mind you I'm not real car savy so I'm going to do my best to describe the problem. Under the car where the exhaust comes from the engine and starts its way to the rear of the car, there is what looks to be a woven metal part of the exhaust, and where the exhaust pipe leaves that woven part, the pipe is completely detached. So I have no idea if that is something that is expensive to replace or if its something that can be welded or what.
Old 03-12-08, 12:36 PM
GiantsInFL
Rookie

I spoke with my mechanic about the transmission still leaking, and asked him considering all the work already done to it, if it would be wise to keep the vehicle or to get rid of it. He said that the engine is making noises and he advises me to sell it as soon as I can I just cant believe I spent my familys income tax money on this junk car (I know its not the quality of the car but the care, or lack there of, that was given to the car).And because I signed the "As Is" I have no legal recourse. Im stuck with a car that never worked, and as mad as I am at the POS man that sold me the car, I'm even more upset with myself. And on top of it all, I still have to fix the transmission leak and the exhaust problem. All this when we just moved and money is tight. I still cant believe this happened to me.
Old 03-12-08, 02:00 PM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

I spoke with my mechanic about the transmission still leaking, and asked him considering all the work already done to it, if it would be wise to keep the vehicle or to get rid of it. He said that the engine is making noises and he advises me to sell it as soon as I can I just cant believe I spent my familys income tax money on this junk car (I know its not the quality of the car but the care, or lack there of, that was given to the car).And because I signed the "As Is" I have no legal recourse. Im stuck with a car that never worked, and as mad as I am at the POS man that sold me the car, I'm even more upset with myself. And on top of it all, I still have to fix the transmission leak and the exhaust problem. All this when we just moved and money is tight. I still cant believe this happened to me.
Well, I feel bad for you, my friend. But sometimes life's lessons are painful to learn. I'd be choked too at the guy who sold you the car. He obviously was just looking for someone to unload it on, hence the "As Is" clause in the sales agreement. Those two little words should raise a bright red flag before anyone agrees to put their signature on such a contract.
I had a somewhat similar experience last year when looking at other ES's. I was debating whether or not to keep the one I've got with lots of miles on it (but still running strong) or trade up to a newer model. I found a 2000 model that was very reasonably priced and went and test drove it. The engine was a bit sluggish and was knocking a bit. It didn't drive as well as my 1993 model. So, after the test drive, the dealer asked what I would want for my car on trade-in. I gave them a very high number, figuring that if we came to making a deal, we'd probably meet somewhere in the middle. But surprisingly, my high trade-in figure was accepted, no questions asked. That raised the first red flag - why would they accept my trade-in offer without so much as driving my car, or even looking under the hood, or at the interior?? I told them I'd think about it and get back to them if I decided to go for it. Well, a week later the price sign on the 2000 model dropped another $500, and the week after that, $300 more! In total, the price dropped close to $1,500 in about 3 weeks. That raised the second red flag - why does the price keep dropping so quickly?? The answer? They thought they'd baited a live one (me) and were doing whatever they could think of to reel me in....well it didn't work. I never went back. But I did notice the car was gone off the lot a few weeks later, so they obviously talked someone else into buying it "As is"...

My advice to you is: don't spend your money fixing the transmission and the exhaust leaks. Sell it "as is" yourself. You'll never recover what you spent on it, even if you do repair it. So take the best $$$ you can get for it, but be upfront about its problems if someone looks interested.

And next time you see a car you are interested in yourself, make sure you have your mechanic check it out BEFORE you sign any sales agreement....but of course, I don't have to tell you this now.

I sincerely wish you good luck.

P.S. I still have the 1993 ES and it's still running well. I'm thankful I didn't get myself into a big mess by trading it !

Last edited by Lexucan; 03-12-08 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-13-08, 10:04 AM
GiantsInFL
Rookie

yea I learned a lesson the hard way. I unfortunely have to keep the car for a little while anyways, the current situation Im in dictates that. So I will get the 2 things fixed, and when I do sell it trust me I will be honest with who buys it, Im not like that. The messed up thing is, which is why I was blinded at first, this is a car I wanted for years. Its such a beautiful car, but oh well. When I finance one I think I will be going after a 2000-2001 model. I dont care for the look to much of the G4 model. But that wont be for a while. And even if I have to pay more, I will be getting it from a very reputal dealership, and I will still have my mechanic look at it anyways just in case.
Old 03-13-08, 10:17 AM
GiantsInFL
Rookie

my wife just picked the car up from the shop and it was leaking from the power steering. I read when i was looking about leaking transmission fluid that people use transmission fluid for power steering.. so it got fixed, at least its not the transmission. I added some transmission fluid to the transmission thinking, and told, it was that initially... will that hurt the transmission?

Quick Reply: leaking transmission fluid