ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Removing HeadLight Assembly on 04 ES330

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-19, 01:58 PM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

I plan on having my headlight housings wrapped with something like a clear bra whenever I replace them. These headlights are horrible with fading.
Old 01-08-19, 07:37 PM
Richardsr
Intermediate

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by funcrusher
I plan on having my headlight housings wrapped with something like a clear bra whenever I replace them. These headlights are horrible with fading.
You’ve got that right. They can be be a real PITA to keep pretty but I’m glad there are now some great products that are specifically designed for UV protection that can be used. One is “Sylvania Headlight Restoration Kit, UV Block Coat” and the other one is “303 (30313) Aerospace UV Protectant for Plastic, Vinyl, Rubber”. My first choice is the Sylvania product because I’ve used it and it’s specifically manufactured for these problems. I have some 303 UV Protectant and it is rated 5-star (like the rest of their product line) with great comments, but haven’t tried it on lenses.

I did a half@ss quick resto job on mine last August with some mild rubbing compound and a kitchen scrub pad and they looked a lot better with just elbow grease. Put some Sylvania UV Protectant on the lenses every two weeks and just buff-wipe with a microfiber cloth and they still look good for my efforts. I plan on replacing mine in the near future because getting the long straight surface stress fractures scrubbed out is a J-O-B and my hat’s off to the examples I’ve seen here by some of the members, but they ARE 19yo and I’ll end up keeping them on a shelf for whatever.

Old 01-08-19, 08:22 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Don't use 303 on headlights I've seen it leave spots that take weeks to go away use this instead
Amazon Amazon

Of you can use a clear film that will slow down UV damage greatly. Oh on the Sylvania stuff I have not tried it does look promising.

Last edited by LeX2K; 01-08-19 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-08-19, 10:13 PM
Richardsr
Intermediate

Thanks for the tip on the 303 UV. Bad results are never a good thing and why choosing something specific vs “plastic, rubber, vinyl” is important. 303 has a great product line and their rubber protectant is divine.

Meguiar’s is a trusted brand and I scanned their product line so now I’ve got to get me some. In fact I was using their mild compound when I cleaned my lenses last year.
Old 01-14-19, 05:20 AM
bullrider
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Richardsr

Here’s a great page for buying plastic rivets and clips. Forget about buying kits because they never have enough of what you need and a lot of what you don’t need. I buy the push-in ribbed type and replace all rivets I take out whatever job I’m doing. The other type are two-piece that work on the same principle as wall anchors in your home... they expand when pressed into place. Be sure to buy metric sizes (ex: 7, 8 & 9mm) because SAE doesn’t fit. https://www.ebay.com/bhp/plastic-auto-fasteners

The “Handy Dandy” Rivet/Clip Removal tool set I own is here. I like them because they are very tough but can be trimmed with a little sandpaper to reach those really tough places one encounters. I recommend them. https://www.ebay.com/itm/11pc-Trim-R...item3b265ee4ad

Love your nights lights and they certainly add to your car. To keep them looking pretty and keep oxidation down I highly recommend some of this for your lenses. Highly rated and it works. https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...oat/10719345-P

Great looking car. Happy trails...
Thanks! I wish it was the next model or two newer but it's still a very good car and I'd like it to look as good as it can. (I always thought the original cast wheels looked like they belonged on a mini van...) Appreciate the info on the clips and tool also.

I'm not going to put anything fancy on the new lights to protect them, for a couple of reasons. The new ones hopefully will look good for the few years or so I expect to keep the car, and I think the key to preventing yellowing and clouding is to keep the original clear coat in good shape. I've read that carnauba wax is the best for that and will also not do anything to the clear coat itself; I worry about whether there might be some sort of solvents in a spray on protectant. The Sylvania product says 'prevents re-haze' and contains 'corrosion softener'. That last part kinda scares me; I don't want anything getting 'softened' on my new lights. And while I trust Meguiar's products, some of the people who posted comments / questions on it at Amazon had problems... and once you put it on you aren't getting it off again. Fortunately my car stays in the garage when I'm not driving it, because being a black car it invariably gets bird-crapped CONSTANTLY if I leave it outside since I have a tree over the driveway. I got tired of day after day coming out and finding bird crap all over the car so even in summer, as soon as I get home it goes into the garage.
Old 01-14-19, 08:37 AM
Richardsr
Intermediate

Plastic headlight lenses attract crud (corrosives) because of the inherent static charge plastic contains vs other materials. Corrosives collected/attracted to clear plastic especially will eat away at the hard surface and actually deep into the plastic surface which is why cleaning it with an abrasive is the norm. Even the very UV rays from the Sun striking plastic causes it to obtain a static charge, not to mention molecular changes in composition and why many industries are reverting back to metal fasteners because of the weakening effect caused by this effect and further exacerbated by the static charge induced by wind over the surface. Now imagine the crud/corrosives picked up from roadway driving included.... gas, oil, tranny fluid, salt, brake fluid and everything else leaked and thrown onto your headlights especially when it rains for example.

The headlight sealant I mentioned is specifically designed in much the same thinking to provide the same UV protection as clear coat on new paint. If corrosives can’t readily attack new plastic (which is only sealed by a “hardness” factor) because it’s further sealed by a UV protectant, the Sylvania product I recommended WILL in fact protect NEW lenses with no deleterious effects and in fact will further seal NEW plastic products because it is specifically engineered to do so and hence, why I recommend it.

I’m sure there are other familiar trusted named products out there that provide good UV protection, but with my “I Love My Lexus” OCD’ism always at a near “Rage Level”, I’ll recommend the Sylvania product.

Cheers

Last edited by Richardsr; 01-14-19 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Info
Old 01-14-19, 08:58 AM
funcrusher
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Save yourself the headache and money and just get a clear bra installed on the headlights as soon as you install them.
Old 01-14-19, 10:38 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,712 Likes on 2,297 Posts

Originally Posted by funcrusher
Save yourself the headache and money and just get a clear bra installed on the headlights as soon as you install them.
This makes a huge difference, same for clear film on body panels. Easy to see the effects remove clear film from a hood that was partially covered the UV damage on the uncovered section is very obvious.

Old 01-14-19, 11:22 AM
Skittle
Driver School Candidate

I just put new headlights on my 04 ES330. When driving at night, on regular beam, they seem to shine a little low and not as far out as they should, I double checked and they were put in correctly, but can they be adjusted up a little? I may have to take out and put a thin shim under each??
Old 01-21-19, 07:04 AM
bullrider
Rookie

Originally Posted by Skittle
I just put new headlights on my 04 ES330. When driving at night, on regular beam, they seem to shine a little low and not as far out as they should, I double checked and they were put in correctly, but can they be adjusted up a little? I may have to take out and put a thin shim under each??
I'm sure they have adjustments for up/down and left/right. I've never seen a car or truck where you couldn't make that adjustment.
Old 01-21-19, 07:19 AM
shortstop
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Skittle
The HID ones adjust using two (very long handle) Phillips head screw drivers turning both in the same direction at the same time. The two access holes are in the top of the radiator support frame bracket, near the back of the headlight housing. One is inserted straight down and the other is at a 90 degree angle. The Halogens maybe similar not sure? Mine had a warning or information sticker under the hood for adjustments. Make sure you have a good fit with the bit, Before turning them not to strip the screw heads. If the self leveling fights your adjustment adjust with headlights off.
Old 01-21-19, 08:34 AM
Richardsr
Intermediate

Here’s a link to a Clublexus thread w/pictures that may help.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...dlight_aim.pdf
The following users liked this post:
bullrider (01-28-19)