ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

y-pipe a.k.a. header pipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-08, 05:07 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool y-pipe a.k.a. header pipe

Drawing from your experience, can you tell me if the the flange and the pipe it is fitted onto have to be perpendicular [best I can describe it]?

The right bank [aka firewall side] connection of the head pipe seems to be good, but the left bank [radiator side] seems slightly off such that the pipe is slightly different length. IF this happened to you then you can tell me what you think I will have to do.
I already ordered a new one, and this one seems to have the same problem. Before I mount it, and possibly cause a problem with the seller for returning a used part, can you throw in your experiences with this car/another car same problem/2 cents... ?

fyi, the reason I got a replacement and think the flange perpendicularness is an issue is because I have a massive leak on the left bank[radiator side] manifold to pipe connection-- that 2 replacement gaskets couldn't fix for more than a few minutes.

I also plan on using new studs and nuts THIS time with this replacement pipe to be sure it wasn't just a bad "clamping" that caused the problems...

again, what are your inputs?

Last edited by llcoolpass; 01-16-08 at 05:10 AM.
Old 01-16-08, 08:53 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure about all what you just said, but when I had a leak it was because the gasket was gone.
Old 01-16-08, 08:58 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

thanks for trying to help me out though :>
n-e-1 else ?
Old 01-16-08, 09:12 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

I'll have to check when I get to the house.
(Yeah, she's still sitting there waiting on her Big 3 Upgrade and a new steering rack.)

Here are some pics that may/may not help in the meanwhile.

Overall page of exhaust renovation pictures.
Y-pipe specific picture 1
Y-pipe specific picture 2
Old 01-16-08, 11:35 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

if u had a shot of the flange, while not connected, that'd be great since that's what I'm asking about ...
good luck on your cool modifications though, and thanks for looking into this. I await your response...
Old 01-16-08, 11:47 AM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

go here to see what I'm talking about:

http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i7...neral%20lexus/

Last edited by llcoolpass; 01-16-08 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-16-08, 06:11 PM
92ES5sp
Lexus Test Driver

Hmmm do you mean the pipes dont line up flush or there is a gap? Ive never had to mess w/ my exhaust yet so im not too familiar with the problem. I mean yea i guess you could try different nuts and bolts and hammer them home if ya know what I mean. But if thats where the leak was to begin with then im not too sure. Hope it works out for ya though. BTW just curious is your 93 California emissions?
Old 01-16-08, 08:39 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

the gap on the right cyl bank flange annoys me on this new ypipe, but on my semi-new[the one that 's on there now, with the leaky left cylinder bank connection] ypipe, that doesn't have that, so I'm wondering if that is bad, too?

but more specifically, I am asking about that flush thing you speak of sicne the semi new and the brand new y pipe both have it, but the newest one has a less amount [on the left cyl bank flange]

I do plan on torqueing it first to 46 lb*ft and then if no work, welding with jb as I'm getting desperate. but hopefully someone can stop me before that point~! lol

My car is not california emmisions. FYI, it was orginally sold only miles from home -- in Cherry Hill, NJ [I dont live in cherry hill]
Old 01-17-08, 10:43 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

bump
can someone let me know within like the next 8 hours?
pretty please?
Old 01-18-08, 05:26 AM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

Hey LLCP, I'll IM ya once I get to work (a little later...lovely Dr.'s appointment first). I didn't get any pics of the y-pipe prior to installation, and it was dark when I went out to get a peek of how things are oriented (been a while). But I'll get some more info about what you're needing to know on IM and see if I can help you in any way.
Old 01-18-08, 08:50 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

you're the best : > appreciate any and all input you've given

really, anyone know the answer to my question though? still waiting [ I actually have until monday it turns out to find out]
Old 01-19-08, 03:41 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

ya never did contact me, did you end up finding out?
Old 01-19-08, 03:53 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

You've not shown up as online on my IM list Fri. or today.
I need you to kind of explain what you mean by "perpendicular" in the first post.
The front part of the "Y" closest to the radiator is kind of peculiar, but then it might only look that way because it's hard to see from above (wish I had a lift handy!)
I'll keep checkin' and see if I can make real-time IM contact with ya. If not...gimmie a little more about what I can describe about that connection that helps.

Sorry...this has been a hard one to describe and assist on...
Old 01-19-08, 06:07 PM
llcoolpass
Lexus Champion

im going to manipulate my images in paint and post the clearest example of what i mean in just a a minute
__edit:

ok, does this clear it up?
reminder: the orig question/thread is all about: does this issue lead to bad seal around the gasket in anyway?

yet another pic, this one is a comparison:

Last edited by llcoolpass; 01-19-08 at 06:25 PM. Reason: added image
Old 01-19-08, 07:32 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Cool

I just went out and took a peek...directly and with a mirror and the axis of the flange and the front (radiator proximal) pipe appear to be perpendicular-- 90º or close to it.
Of course my y-pipe was made custom, so it fits perfectly with no apparent gaps, etc. that I can see or hear.
I hope that helps. I think a picture would be more helpful, but I don't have a way of getting one for ya now that it's installed.

Quick Reply: y-pipe a.k.a. header pipe