ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

3m Paint Protection Film Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-07, 06:50 AM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 3m Paint Protection Film Questions?

Does anyone here have the 3m Paint Protection Film on their es. Also how much did it cost and how noticiable is it? I was thinking since I have to bring my es back from the dead and it already needs paint I was just gonna go with white monotone. I was going to cover the entire area that was gold with the 3m Paint Protection Film and I want to know how well it works and such?
Old 07-22-07, 08:51 AM
Lexucan
Lexucanafer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was thinking of doing the same thing to my ES after I recently had the whole front end repainted after an accident. I'd hate to get a bunch more rock dings in it now that it looks brand new. BUT....when I checked around for film installers locally, I found that none of them carry kits for the 2nd gen. ES (too old). That would mean that they'd have to cut the film to fit while on the car...with RAZOR BLADES!
Don't know which is worse - paint chips from rocks, or slashes in the paint from installing the protective film...
Old 07-22-07, 10:08 AM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Hmmm. Well I have a gen 3 I think smitty has one on his i'll wait and see what has to say also.
Old 07-22-07, 10:46 AM
vin 78
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the kit on my headlamps.

I think it would be a wise investment especially for lowered cars.
Old 07-22-07, 11:02 AM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vin 78
I have the kit on my headlamps.

I think it would be a wise investment especially for lowered cars.
How much did it cost you and do you think it would be noticeable on pearl white?
Old 07-22-07, 06:07 PM
13loody
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you get quite a bit of rock chips, then I would recommend getting it done. It's not as noticeable on light colors compared to darker rich colors. You'll still notice it regardless though. The question is, would you rather have seams and dimples or rock chips? You don't have to worry about the razor blades cutting into paint, that's not how they do it.. at least not here. They cut it and then stretch it a bit to apply onto the car. They can even tuck it so there are less seams. I personally think it's better than those stupid precut kits.

I also hate the fact that regardless of what clear bra you go with, they are all textured to an extent. I don't even like the orange peel paintjobs that are so common nowadays, so why add more? I'd spend less getting a proper touch up every few years than getting clear bra but that's just me.

Here's my final tip, go to the car shows and check it out personally to see their work. You'll learn a lot just comparing one shop to another. That and they normally offer a show discount. My friend still got the show discount 2 months after because they remembered him from the show (it helps that he has an M3).
Old 07-22-07, 07:23 PM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 13loody
If you get quite a bit of rock chips, then I would recommend getting it done. It's not as noticeable on light colors compared to darker rich colors. You'll still notice it regardless though. The question is, would you rather have seams and dimples or rock chips? You don't have to worry about the razor blades cutting into paint, that's not how they do it.. at least not here. They cut it and then stretch it a bit to apply onto the car. They can even tuck it so there are less seams. I personally think it's better than those stupid precut kits.

I also hate the fact that regardless of what clear bra you go with, they are all textured to an extent. I don't even like the orange peel paintjobs that are so common nowadays, so why add more? I'd spend less getting a proper touch up every few years than getting clear bra but that's just me.

Here's my final tip, go to the car shows and check it out personally to see their work. You'll learn a lot just comparing one shop to another. That and they normally offer a show discount. My friend still got the show discount 2 months after because they remembered him from the show (it helps that he has an M3).
Your right I really should see their work first then see what i'll do. My problem is is that according to 3m there is only one shop within an hour of here. So I really don't have a choice. Also since i'm doing white on white everything will show and I'm going to get lots of rock marks from my is350 18's that stick out on the bottom that like to throw rocks. Maybe I could just do the lower half where the gold was only and leave the hood alone so they could blend it with the line it already has.
Old 07-23-07, 12:43 AM
13loody
Pole Position

You can actually have the entire hood wrapped, it just costs more obviously. My friend actually had the lower portion of the sides wrapped and a little above the fender flares because rocks were hitting it there when he ran over them. Don't forget the side mirrors and the nook where people open the door handle.. that part always get scratched and whatnot.
Old 07-23-07, 06:06 AM
Choas
Lexus Champion

Hmm sounds good gonna have to call the place and see how much they want.
Old 07-23-07, 07:03 AM
calichris
Lead Lap

what would the mono tone cost, thinkin about it to i have the same car/color
Old 07-23-07, 07:46 AM
Choas
Lexus Champion

We have our own paint guy its prob gonna cost between 1k-1.5k
Old 07-23-07, 07:47 AM
Choas
Lexus Champion

But i'm doing the whole car
Old 07-24-07, 07:03 AM
TurboRush
Driver School Candidate

I have this on my Evo. This is what I had done:

1. 18" up hood
2. Entire front bumper and lip
3. Part of the quarter panels (line on hood flows into quarter panel)
4. Mirrors

What you should also consider - area immediately behind front and rear wheels because of flying rocks.

I paid about $500 for mine and they had to custom cut the bumper because I have a 9 and the only kits out there were for an 8 bumper (I also convinced a guy to do this on the side for me).

This is probably some of the best money I have ever spent, I have not a single chip or ding or scratch on the hood or bumpers.

I noticed some people were saying they are going to do the whole car? I assume you don't mean litereally the whole car or even the whole hood? Seems like a lot of extra money for not a lot of value (and relatively pointless for the cost IMHO) - I equate this to putting a fully body condom on rather than just wrapping your dinky? Just my opinion - its your money, do as you wish.

Stick to 18 to 24 inches of the hood, mirrors, front bumper and behind the wheels. Those are the highest hit areas and that's what most kits cover. I plan to have this does on the mrs. 330 in the near future.
Old 07-24-07, 05:03 PM
13loody
Pole Position

I think they were referring to painting the whole car, not fully wrapping it up, although I have seen it done before. The main reason people wrap the entire hood is to prevent seeing the seams when you only do part of it. I dislike kits mainly because the front bumper is usually done in two pieces not one, which IMO leaves unnecessary seams and a small spot for damage to occur. Not only that, but kits don't normally come with enough to do a tuck, leaving an ugly outline of unprotected areas. What's the use of having a condom with slits on the sides? You can normally talk the guys at dealerships to do it on the side for less money and better quality.
Old 07-24-07, 07:19 PM
Slooooooow
Regional Officer - NTL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

<-----13loody is the 3M/Body Wrap Kit expert. Wow!
When I have this done, I know who's name to search under.

Quick Reply: 3m Paint Protection Film Questions?