ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2002 es with or w/out trac and vsc

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-01, 07:34 PM
2kits
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2002 es with or w/out trac and vsc

hello all!
I am hoping to soon become the proud new owner of a 2002 lexus es300. However, before I get to that point there is one decision that I have to make. I originally wanted an es300 that had all the options: navigation system, mark levinson, and trac w/ vsc. So far, the dealer that I am working with ( I live in the Northeast) told me that I can only have two of the above: nav system and the mark levinson. If I really wanted the trac control and vsc I would have to put in a special order and wait for at least another 6 months to get my car. He also told me that they only allocated a handful of cars with trac control and vsc to the US. Does anybody know if this is the truth? Also, is Trac\vsc worth waiting for? The area that I'm living has all the four seasons so I will get snow eventually. Would waiting for Trac\vsc make it worth while or can I do without it since the Es is already a front wheel drive car? Any opinions\advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-23-01, 02:33 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

2kits, your dealer has lost some credibility with me re the spec order issue which would therefore call into question all of his other statements. Remember that he wants to sell you what he's got on the lot or is expecting in his next allocation.

Here's the deal on special order (my last 2 Lex were s.o.): you order, the dealer sends it to the regional office. Once a month, the regional office sends the order to Japan (don't ask me why monthly instead of daily; I suspect that it's to discourage people changing their specs numerous times as they reconsider their purchase. Multiple changes would lead to more opportunity to make a mistake on the order.) and the car is built approx 2 1/2 months later. Shipping to POE and then overland transport take another 2 weeks. So the s.o. process is 3 months minimum, not quite 4 months max (if your order arrives at regional the day AFTER they have done the once-a-month forwarding, it's gonna sit there for 4 weeks.).

Have no idea about the VSC/TRAC issue, as far as not being available. Lexus of North America has a habit of ordering a mix that consists of loaded models and, let's call them "premium" models, with some options plus the Lexus premium stereo. Anthing outside those two levels tends to be, if not rare, at least unusual. But this could be different for the ES currently, since it is a new model. As far as utility, I'd recommend it. Remember that traction becomes an issue on wet streets as well as snowy streets. And I'd get a set of seperate wheels with dedicated snows if your area sees much snow. TireRack sells packages of wheels/tires already mounted and balanced, using either alloys or steel wheels, for very reasonable prices. All-season tires are just too much of a compromise, even with TRAC and VSC, if you see much snow.

I'd suggest that you check with other dealers in your area, unless, like me you only have one dealer in the state. Even then, I'd go to Lexus' web site, find which Elite dealers are even in your region and call them. Wouldn't you rather drive a couple of hours to pick up a car than wait 4 months, assuming that you find precisely the car you want at another dealer?

Good luck, and I hope the above was helpful.
Old 10-23-01, 08:09 PM
2kits
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, mooretorque!

I truly appreciate your reply.

There's one other lexus dealership in the area that I'm going to check out. Hopefully they won't give me the same line as the one above. I'm crossing my fingers that these guys will tell me what I want to hear, but you never know though. Anyhow, I'll let you know how things turns out.

~2kits
Old 10-24-01, 01:50 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Talking

2Kits, one more thing. Had forgotten about CarsDirect, AutobyTel, etc. Mea culpa, but since I'm in a state that they don't cover, they don't just pop to mind. A number of CL folks have dealt successfully with them or have had success at having a local dealer match the online price.

Keep us all posted!
Old 10-24-01, 08:58 PM
2kits
Driver School Candidate

Wink

Hey, Mooretorque:
I checked with another dealer in the vicinity and was told that I could special order my car and have it in by the end of December.
5 other people wanted the same car with the same options and they were told the same thing. Anyways, I'm siked. 2 1/2 months is way better than 6!

Oh, I just wanted to add that I remembered a friend of mine wanting to order an Acura from the same dealership (they're an all in one luxury car dealer) and was told that it would take 4 mos to come in. When they asked another Acura dealership in the area about the length of time for a special order, they were told 2 months. They went with the one that was 2 months and sure enough their car came in around 2 months...Don't know what it is about this dealership, but they can't seem to get special orders in before the 3 months period.

Well, I'll keep you updated when my new ES arrives. You know I'll be dying until then!

Don't think I'll go with the online car shopping 'cause I checkd out the prices and it doesn't seem like I'll be saving much going that route.

Later,
2kits
Old 10-25-01, 02:19 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Talking

Outstanding Xmas present to yourself!!!! As I said in previous post, I've s.o.'d twice (one a 93 SC300 5spd, the other the GS430) and the wait IS difficult!!! But worth it!

I'll be watching for your post re your first driving experience as owner (always feels better than the demo)!