ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Air Fuel Ratio Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-04, 05:30 PM
aimsoft
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air/Fuel Sensor or O2 Sensor

I have a 98 Es 300 on which I had the "check Engine Light " come up last year with the Charcoal Cannister problem which I got replaced.

Now The light came up again today . The diagnostic code check at the dealership showed Code P0135 which is "HO2S Heater Circuit Malfunction, Bank 1 Sensor 1 " problem..

However the deale ship said that I need to get the Air/Fuel Sensors replaced for 650$ parts + 300 $ labor..

a) Is the O2 sensor and air/fuel sensor same thing or different ?
b) What is a good price to replace the sensors ?
Old 08-09-04, 07:57 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that's outrageous!

you can get the proper O2 sensor (yes, another name for what is needed) from online sources:
www.irontoad.com
www.lexus-parts.com
JPI Improtz (see his link in the corporate sponsor section)
and replace it yourself if you are mechanically inclined. You will save a ton of money.

You may need to borrow, rent, buy an O2 socket from Autozone so you won't damage the wire on the new one.

It may be tricky finding the sensor but it is the spark plug looking thing screwed into the exhaust manifold.
You have three. One in each manifold and one next to the cat. converter (under the car).

good luck.

steviej
Old 08-09-04, 11:54 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts
Default Re: Air/Fuel Sensor or O2 Sensor

Originally posted by aimsoft

However the deale ship said that I need to get the Air/Fuel Sensors replaced for 650$ parts + 300 $ labor..

a) Is the O2 sensor and air/fuel sensor same thing or different ?
b) What is a good price to replace the sensors ?
Ouch. 950+ for sensor replacement and labor is outrageous.

a) no
b) sensors shouldn't cost more than $150 a piece depending on what sensor. Make sure you get Denso-Toyota Genuine Parts. When you usually go aftermarket sensors, they always have a higher failure rate and kick on your CEL.

Also check with ClubLexus' main parts vendor. Carson Toyota/Lexus Parts (www.l-tunedparts.com) . 800-90-TOYOTA ask for Bobby at Parts.
Old 08-10-04, 05:15 AM
aimsoft
Driver School Candidate

steviej/flipside909,
thanks for your excellent comments...

The main problem is that even the code detected was P0135, why is the dealer trying to replace the Air/Fuel sensor which are only 2 there. and he want to charge 310 $ for each Air Fuel Sensor.... + 175 labor each.

O2 sensor, I know are 3 in the car. But the dealer is not replacing them inspite of the code pointing to it..

As per the dealer, O2 sensor and AIr/Fuel sensor are same...
Old 08-10-04, 08:11 AM
aimsoft
Driver School Candidate

this is what I found out after further research.
My ES300 has california Emission so It has Air Fuel Sensors instead of O2 Sensors...

But 994 $ is still lot to ask and I am not sure if it still needs to have both Sensors changed....
Old 08-10-04, 09:22 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

our comments still apply. Whatever the name may be, the price is outrageous and the parts can be had for way less and you can install them easily.

My 02 is not Ca emmissions and they still call them air/fuel sensors-----O2 sensor nonetheless.

steviej
Old 08-10-04, 10:04 AM
aimsoft
Driver School Candidate

steviej,
None of these 3 carry the Air/Fuel Ratio sensors.
www.irontoad.com
www.lexus-parts.com
JPI Improtz

JPI has stopped selling parts. However as per him, its very rare that both sensors to go bad at the same time....

I got the part no from the dealer ship and called several other dealerships including toyota and got the lowest price for each AF sensor to be 260$ in NJ area..

So now I will take the car to a certified mechanic and he will change it for 50 $. Total = 300 $...

thanks a lot for your help...
Old 08-10-04, 08:00 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Old 08-11-04, 08:13 AM
aimsoft
Driver School Candidate

steviej/moderators,
here is the latest update.

When I went to this certified mechanic(I know this guy personally), he did the diagnostic check and codes were different this time then what the lexus dealership told me in correctly twice..

First lexus dealership said it was 1120 but they were charging for 2 Air fuel Sensors replacement.
After checking the codes on the internet, I called them back and said that this cant be correct, then they gave me the new code P0135 which is for O2 sensors even though my car has California Emission and has AIr Fuel Sensors...

The certificed mechanic who did the diagnsotic test today in front of me, showed the codes to be P1133 and P1135 which is exactly what I thought it should be...

As per the website :
P1133 - Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Circuit Response Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

P1135 - Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

I am going to buy the part today from the toyota dealer and take it to the mechanic in the evening...

I WAS WONDERING that if any one can point where the Bank 1 Sensor 1 located (this is just for my satisfaction).....

thanks everyone...
Old 08-11-04, 11:08 AM
aimsoft
Driver School Candidate

Default Air Fuel Ratio Sensor

Any one ????

Last edited by aimsoft; 08-11-04 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-11-04, 06:21 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

I believe Bank 1 Sensor 1 is the O2 sensor/airfuel sensor (what ever you would like to call it) that is in the exhaust manifold that is between the engine and the firewall.

steviej.
Old 08-11-04, 08:14 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally posted by steviej
I believe Bank 1 Sensor 1 is the O2 sensor/airfuel sensor (what ever you would like to call it) that is in the exhaust manifold that is between the engine and the firewall.

steviej.
Yeah, that's where the real fun begins.
Old 06-04-06, 09:22 AM
solive
Driver School Candidate

Default 98es300 p1133 andp1135

Originally Posted by aimsoft
steviej/moderators,
here is the latest update.

When I went to this certified mechanic(I know this guy personally), he did the diagnostic check and codes were different this time then what the lexus dealership told me in correctly twice..

First lexus dealership said it was 1120 but they were charging for 2 Air fuel Sensors replacement.
After checking the codes on the internet, I called them back and said that this cant be correct, then they gave me the new code P0135 which is for O2 sensors even though my car has California Emission and has AIr Fuel Sensors...

The certificed mechanic who did the diagnsotic test today in front of me, showed the codes to be P1133 and P1135 which is exactly what I thought it should be...

As per the website :
P1133 - Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Circuit Response Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

P1135 - Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)

I am going to buy the part today from the toyota dealer and take it to the mechanic in the evening...

I WAS WONDERING that if any one can point where the Bank 1 Sensor 1 located (this is just for my satisfaction).....

thanks everyone...
I have a 98 es300 with what is possible a similar issue. I brought it to autozone and had the code pulled. The diagnostic tool displayed code P1133 and P1135. Are these codes for two seperate sensors? One sensor is located on the exhaust manifold and the other is located right after the cat converter. I changed the sensor on the exhaust manifold and now it reads P1135. Do I also need to change the sensor after the cat?
Old 06-04-06, 11:04 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by solive
I have a 98 es300 with what is possible a similar issue. I brought it to autozone and had the code pulled. The diagnostic tool displayed code P1133 and P1135. Are these codes for two seperate sensors? One sensor is located on the exhaust manifold and the other is located right after the cat converter. I changed the sensor on the exhaust manifold and now it reads P1135. Do I also need to change the sensor after the cat?
You got that right. One sensor down, one more to go
Old 07-07-06, 12:35 PM
rip9210
Driver School Candidate

I took my es 300 to auto zone and it came out with the codes P1135 and P1153, my car has california emmissions and it said some along the lines of air/fuel metering. I believe that P1135 is Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1) and P1153 is Air/Fuel Ratio Sensor Circuit Response Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 1). From what I've searched that means I have to replace the oxygen sensors and I was wondering which ones do I have to replace. I know there is one on the exhaust manifold which is clearly visable if you open up the hood of the car and then I think there is one underneath the car. Which oxygen sensors do I have to replace??

thank you!

Quick Reply: Air Fuel Ratio Sensor