CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Outrageous mooroof/sunroof rattle! Need help w/diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-17, 12:09 PM
glhboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outrageous mooroof/sunroof rattle! Need help w/diagnosis

I have a 2012 CT200h premium and I can't figure out this damn sunroof rattle for nothing. It only happens when it's closed all the way. I've read and read and read and nothing seems similar to this. It just has a weird rattle that's hard to explain. If you push up on the sunroof glass while it's closed it won't rattle. I've tried putting sticky felt on the sides of the metal body sunroof surround and I thought that had cured it, but it comes back! So I reapply more felt, remove old, etc.. and it still comes back. It's not the bar that raises when the sunroof opens as I can hold that down and it still rattles. It's enough to make me hate this car. I don't know what else to try. I'm out of warranty and just hit 50,000 miles. I can't seem to find anything online to try and I'm not prepared to remove the headliner to fish for something.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-03-17, 01:37 AM
nacke
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you provide some pictures of the sunroof system? Maybe someone gets an idea. There are many similar complaints with different Lexus models on this forum. On some models there's somekind of wind deflector on the front edge, which starts to rattle when sunroof is closed.
Old 08-03-17, 06:56 AM
glhboy
Driver School Candidate

I'm not sure what to take pictures of, there's not much to see. The more I read about it, people are either saying it's the wind deflector - which I don't think that's it on mine because I can hold it down when the sunroof is closed and it still makes the noise. Then others say it is possibly the weatherstripping around the actual glass sunroof. That seems kind of odd though.
Old 08-05-17, 09:53 AM
CharlesCA
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by glhboy
I'm not sure what to take pictures of, there's not much to see. The more I read about it, people are either saying it's the wind deflector - which I don't think that's it on mine because I can hold it down when the sunroof is closed and it still makes the noise. Then others say it is possibly the weatherstripping around the actual glass sunroof. That seems kind of odd though.
I am having a similar issue. It's not the deflector for me either. The sound goes away when I tilt open the sunroof.
Old 08-07-17, 06:19 AM
glhboy
Driver School Candidate

I ordered a new sunroof gasket that goes around the glass to see if that will help. I've never replaced one, but read online that this could be the culprit.
Old 08-17-17, 06:30 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Before you go throwing time and money into this, why not have your dealer try to diagnose the problem?
Old 06-28-20, 10:45 PM
xaznx
Driver

I'm having the same problem, anybody have a solution or find the culprit yet? Thanks

Old 06-30-20, 10:52 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,570 Posts

Dealer charges $90 an hour to diagnose. Min. 2 hours. lol.

Does the sunroof fit fairly flush to the glass? I'd consider undoing the glass and reattaching it in a slightly different position. you may have to anyway to replace the gasket. Then you'll attribute the fix to the new seal, when the whole time, it was the position of the sunroof glass. I wonder if it's been replaced before? See if it has a Lexus logo or if the screws have tool marks on it.
Old 07-02-20, 01:45 PM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

I can 99.99999999999% guarantee (but not 100% ) it's the sunroof seal. It's common on CTs. It fixed the rattle on my GF's CT. As soon as I mentioned it to the head mechanic at the local dealership (and where I also work), he said "it's the sunroof seal". And he was right!
Old 07-02-20, 09:49 PM
xaznx
Driver

How do replace it? It sounds pretty easy as simply opening sunroof and popping off old seal and popping it back on?
Old 07-09-20, 10:29 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by xaznx
How do replace it? It sounds pretty easy as simply opening sunroof and popping off old seal and popping it back on?
Sorry I'm just getting back to you. Easy answer is yes, basically. You have to do some working of the seal to get it attached. It's easier to remove the glass and then replace the seal. It only held in by 4 torx screws, 2 per side. With the sun shade pulled back, you'll remove a cover on each side and you should see the screws.
Old 07-20-20, 09:28 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

I had this issue on an IS.
The seal, or weather strip, was the issue. Happens on the GS as well.

It caused a rattle on the IS seemingly coming from the REAR wheel or trunk area. It was hard to believe a seemingly fine moonroof weather strip was the source...but it was.

Read enough about it on other models that wouldn't be surprising if the CT was no different.
Old 01-18-21, 11:39 PM
pwrusr
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

any update on this, mine is driving me crazy and yes it only happens when it closed
Old 01-19-21, 07:04 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by pwrusr
any update on this, mine is driving me crazy and yes it only happens when it closed
The weather strip as mentioned above. Try that out
Old 01-19-21, 08:19 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,570 Posts

I keep my seals, including sunroof seal, conditioned using german rubber conditioner. I hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Outrageous mooroof/sunroof rattle! Need help w/diagnosis