Hardwiring Dash Cam

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-17, 11:24 AM
Ben1989
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hardwiring Dash Cam

Hi guys,

I'm looking into getting a dash cam and I have a few questions.

1) Are there any dash cams people recommend? I don't care about screens - all i need to know is that it's turned on but I understand most models come with screens now.

2) I have searched for battery powered dash cams, my ideal was to have one I could charge every night but it seems they don't exist. So i have accepted that I'll need to hardwire. Where is the fusebox in the CT? Is to the fusebox the easiest method to hardwire? Any tips?

3) Does anybody have any experience in hardwiring anything and how to make wires as hidden as possible (from the mirror)?

4) Are there any issues I should be concerned with hardwiring in terms of draining batteries etc?

Thanks everyone.

Many thanks, Ben
Old 07-02-17, 12:16 PM
RonSwanson
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello Ben,

I've had a hardwired dash cam in my CT for the last 3 years. I also don't care about the screen and went the budget route since it was my first dash cam and I didn't know what to expect. I have an A118C that I hardwired to the driver boot, however, I'd recommend that you hardwire yours to the wires that connect to the cigarette lighter near the cup holders. You may find many guides online specifically for doing this on your CT.

1) Are there any dash cams people recommend? I don't care about screens - all i need to know is that it's turned on but I understand most models come with screens now.
The A118C that I have is now outdated and there is a A118C v2. However, if it was up to me I would be the even better A119S v2, which is much better quality and also has GPS. There are deals on eBay that include the hardwire kit, polarized filter, etc. for about $100.

2) I have searched for battery powered dash cams, my ideal was to have one I could charge every night but it seems they don't exist. So i have accepted that I'll need to hardwire. Where is the fusebox in the CT? Is to the fusebox the easiest method to hardwire? Any tips?
Partially answered above - hardwire with aux output. You don't want a battery powered cam because it won't last as long as a capacitor - the cams get very hot seeing as how they must be in direct sunlight while the car is driven as well as parked outside.

3) Does anybody have any experience in hardwiring anything and how to make wires as hidden as possible (from the mirror)?
It's very simple to hide the wires in the headliner and then around the side airbag/pillar. You'll have to remove the side pillar panel.

4) Are there any issues I should be concerned with hardwiring in terms of draining batteries etc?
Nope.

You can find more resources from this website about specific model cams as well as hardwiring tips - dashcamtalk.com.
Old 07-02-17, 06:18 PM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 209 Likes on 122 Posts

I did a ton of research on dash cams, and finally bought one. It's Viofo's A119, same brand but newer camera than Ron's, so that's 2 votes for Viofo.

I supposed a possible workaround for battery-powered cameras is using a mobile battery like the ones you use to recharge your phone on the go. I don't know if they supply enough power or at the right rating, but it may be worth looking into. The heat issue is the main thing. Battery-powered cameras have lower operating temperature ranges than capacitor-types. But if you can use a mobile battery, you can just hook it up to a capacitor camera and just recharge it once in a while (again, if this is even viable).
Old 07-02-17, 07:34 PM
RonSwanson
Pole Position

This is an awesome video comparing the 3 (A119 / A119S / A118C2):
The difference between A119 and A119S is very apparent if you watch and both blow away the A118C2.
Old 07-03-17, 01:09 AM
Ben1989
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone.

The difference really is night and day between the A118 and the A119S. Ron, thanks a lot for the in-depth write up.

I do struggle to see the GPS benefit to be honest. I do over the speed limit on the motorway (80mph instead of 70mph) so I wouldn't want that to be shown . And just to clarify, I do not speed in residential areas just the motor way .

I really am not electronically minded. All I'm aware of is that I need an ignition based wire to tap into. Regarding the cigarette lighter, it seems a long way to get to but keeping everything hidden, or is it easily done? I've also heard of people tapping into the mirror wiring - is this easily done, too? Another one is linking into the fuse box yet I'm not sure where it is in the CT!
Old 07-03-17, 07:56 AM
gshadow325
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben1989
Thanks everyone.

The difference really is night and day between the A118 and the A119S. Ron, thanks a lot for the in-depth write up.

I do struggle to see the GPS benefit to be honest. I do over the speed limit on the motorway (80mph instead of 70mph) so I wouldn't want that to be shown . And just to clarify, I do not speed in residential areas just the motor way .

I really am not electronically minded. All I'm aware of is that I need an ignition based wire to tap into. Regarding the cigarette lighter, it seems a long way to get to but keeping everything hidden, or is it easily done? I've also heard of people tapping into the mirror wiring - is this easily done, too? Another one is linking into the fuse box yet I'm not sure where it is in the CT!
Constant 12v is green, dash fuse box, white 36 pin plug (2D), pin 13
Ignition wire is red at dash fuze box. white 40 pin plug(2C) pin 2
Second Ignition is Black,dash fuse box, rear, white 40 pin plug (2B), pin 25

SO you have two places to get ignition.

Do yourself a favor and dont go by "i heard blah blah blah". Your just going to get yourself into a heap of trouble especially if you dont know your way around the car.

I would get a unit with GPS. Your statement about being tracked at a certain speed and speeding. its not admissable in court. that GPS is NOT CERTIFIED CALIBRATED. That easy.
You dont need to answer to anyone on your driving habits. Speeding is like ************. Everyone denies ever doing it, but we all know yo have done it. LOL

I run a compustar dash. HD front and rear camera. it has been replaced by a new unit called momento.
It works when the vehicle is off, has impact sensor, and motion sensor. Comes ready to go out of the box including sd card and usb adapter.
Very reliable.

My two accidents in the last two years since moving to georgia and no previous accidents in the prior 15!!
Failure to stop for stop sign. Other party cited. Compustar Dash 1, them 0

Failure to yeild to on coming traffic. Other party cited to making a unsafe u turn. Compustar dash 2, them 0

In both situations, burden of proof is on the other party to prove their innocence. I had proof of what happened at the scene of the accident in both cases i pulled the video
played it for the officers and they had enough to warrant a citation to the other party. Both situations both parties said all kinds of things from i was speeding, i ran a red light, etc.

Once i played the footage, it was a open and shut case right there at the scene. I both 20 second clips, you will hear a beep. that beeping means it sensed a impact.
It saved this clip into a separate directory into a 20 second clip. ten seconds before the impact and 10 seconds after. it did still have all the other footage prior and after.
makes finding it easier. both times i had GPS antenna hooked up but that can only be seen on the device or via proprietary software. that software also will show in better quality.
resolution has been cut down from the uploading.

i have a few more with various encounters with LEO and my speed measuring counter measure devices in action :P
Old 07-03-17, 05:34 PM
RonSwanson
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ben1989
Thanks everyone.

No problem. I've a huge advocate of dash cams - luckily, I haven't needed to use the footage for insurance purposes, but it's a great reassurance to have. I feel the same way you do about having GPS as I wouldn't want the dash cam to hurt my case, you can get the A119S w/o GPS as there a many different kinds of bundles available.

Regardless of where you want to tap, you're going to have to go through the same method to supply power to your cam. The cig lighter/aux output would be the one of the easier ways to find the appropriate wires to tap. Although I'm not sure, but even if there is power available to your rear view mirror, it would be a greater challenge to remove the huge one piece headliner than to remove the smaller pieces that lead to the aux output.
A couple years ago I made a DIY for placing a mini-amp behind the headunit which I have some pix of the panels that need to be removed: http://www.ct200hforum.com/forum/lex...ower-pack.html
You can also find the Lexus handbook which has information about the panels.
That said, it sounds like you probably do not want to DIY this project. I would seek outside help (car audio shop, etc.) and pay the extra money to have things set-up properly.