OBD port hardware question

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-15, 04:39 PM
LoveCT
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBD port hardware question

Hey guys.

So I asked the same question earlier today in the "other" forum, and have gotten no answer. Thought I would try my luck here. Here goes:

As I was cleaning my car yesterday afternoon, I noticed that the On Board Diagnostics (OBD) port has kind of slight wiggle or play on it. In other words, it seems it is not in a fixed location and you can wiggle/shake it around a bit.

In case you don't know, the OBD port is located underneath the steering wheel towards the left side. A picture of its location is here:

http://www.outilsobdfacile.com/base_...ring-wheel.jpg

(Notice the red rectangle). The port is sunken in that location. Once you put your hand there, feel for a port similar to the old printer ports. Once you feel the OBD port, lightly push the port left/right back/forth. Please let me know if your car's OBD port also has a bit of a movement in it or is it completely fixed.

The reason, why I am asking is because, my other 15 year old car's OBD port is fixed and is completely unmovable.

In a way, I have a feeling Toyota/Lexus has made it a slightly movable deliberately so that all different types of OBD scanner can fit in that sunken port location. But I want to make sure you guys also have a small play in your OBD port. I know my dealership's techs access the OBD port to reset the TPMS every six months. Hopefully they haven't damaged it inadvertently.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-15-15, 08:21 AM
KKM
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I went and checked and there is a slight wiggle room front to back about 1/8" either way, but not side to side.
Old 11-15-15, 07:36 PM
LoveCT
Driver

Yes, that's the wiggle I was referring to. I too went and checked again; I guess I was wrong about the side wiggle. You are correct, there's no wiggle side to side, just back and forth.

Thank you. It's a great relief to hear that my car isn't faulty.
Old 11-17-16, 12:38 PM
busidit
Driver School Candidate

Default OBD Socket cracked

I noticed today that my OBD socket/ outlet in the dash has cracked apart. Does anyone here know where a new part can be purchased? (other than dealer or wrecking yard if possible)

Thank you.
James