CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Side mirror skipping / warped after LED swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-15, 04:04 AM
Lowenart
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Side mirror skipping / warped after LED swap

So I switched out my puddle lamps with LEDs, which seemed simple enough, but now my driver side mirror is skipping when I try to adjust it. You can see that in the video here.

Also, the mirror now has a warped reflection which makes it really hard to use. I know it's not the mirror itself because it's only like that when it's actually clipped onto the motor. As soon as I take it off it looks fine

Does anyone know what's going on here?
Old 06-18-15, 11:26 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

It sounds like one of the four clips on the back of the mirror isn't getting seated. Be gentle but firm when snapping the mirror glass into place. I think I used a very thin screwdriver to guide one or more of clips into place as I peered behide the mirror glass with my borescope to see what I was doing. I know for sure that I used that little ancient ignition screwdriver to pop out the mirror glasses. It might have been easier for me since I had the mirrors off the car.
Old 06-18-15, 01:45 PM
Lowenart
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kansas
It sounds like one of the four clips on the back of the mirror isn't getting seated. Be gentle but firm when snapping the mirror glass into place. I think I used a very thin screwdriver to guide one or more of clips into place as I peered behide the mirror glass with my borescope to see what I was doing. I know for sure that I used that little ancient ignition screwdriver to pop out the mirror glasses. It might have been easier for me since I had the mirrors off the car.
I think you're right, and I was able to get the mirror part sorted out.

The skipping issue is still there though. It's like something is caught in the way, but I'm not seeing anything. I put on some new silicone grease but that seemed to have no effect.
Old 06-18-15, 09:33 PM
NudleBoy
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the exact same issue with skipping after I installed my LED's. What I did to fix it was unscrew the middle bolt of the white mechanism and take it apart. Clean everything thoroughly with a cloth but don't get any electronics wet or anything. After that, I used bearing grease and greased the crap out of it. Then it started to work again. I'm sure you can use some other types of grease, don't use WD40 though. It messed up my electronics and when I reversed down it wouldn't go back up.
Old 06-19-15, 03:57 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 252 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Duong
I had the exact same issue with skipping after I installed my LED's. What I did to fix it was unscrew the middle bolt of the white mechanism and take it apart. Clean everything thoroughly with a cloth but don't get any electronics wet or anything. After that, I used bearing grease and greased the crap out of it. Then it started to work again. I'm sure you can use some other types of grease, don't use WD40 though. It messed up my electronics and when I reversed down it wouldn't go back up.
That is exactly what I was going to suggest. It's been two years since I disassembled the mirrors on our Prius v to install Scion IQ turn signal covers (the inside of the Prius v mirrors look identical to the CT200h's) but I remember having to remove the one screw holding the white piece that rotates to do the work I needed to do. It's no problem to take it apart - the mechanism is pretty simple.