CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

LS430 to CT200H??

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-15, 09:00 PM
C8V6C
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default LS430 to CT200H??

Hey guys, considering the change, and had a couple quick questions!

Reason I'm considering the change is definitely the mpg difference. Putting a lot of miles on my car now (about 20-25k+ per year) and figure I should have $4-6,000 savings per year on gas alone compared to my thirsty V8.

I've driven them as loaners and test drives, and since I'm fairly easy on my cars, I didn't notice a huge difference in pedal need for my personal use. It's mainly the size I need to get used to...and the lack of some of my favorite features on my ultra luxury package LS.

Questions :

1) How much weight should I put into a certified 100k powertrain warranty? Considering a non-cert car, for about $2500 less with a couple more miles than a certified one.

2) Going off that, any major reliability issues seen so far? I'm considering 2011 and 2012 models at my price point. I've been happy with my Lexus, but it has had a couple electronic quirks.

3) How difficult is it to find nice wheels that don't weigh much more (or even less) than stock? I don't mind spending a good chunk of change on wheels (I am on Weds Kranze right now), but on a previous hybrid of mine, my gas mileage plummeted since my aftermarket wheels weighed more than stock.

4) Any major differences between 11, 12 and 13 models? The research has shown me some audible horn, color changes, and misc....want to make sure I don't miss out on a lot of goodies if I choose an 11

5) F sport grills and misc bits...difficult to swap to a non F sport? Don't care much for the suspension or wheels, but I like the grills...as simple as changing to others or are the bumpers different too? They look similar to my eye.

6) Last one, major maintenance....I think I read somewhere there are no timing belt changes? Is it 100k for waterpump and etc? Not so worried about brakes or a 10k oil change interval (I'd probably stick to my 6k personally), but the major stuff I can foresee in the next 100k or so?

Sorry for the long read!! Thanks in advance for the help!!
Old 03-10-15, 09:49 PM
edgalang
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by C8V6C
Questions :

1) How much weight should I put into a certified 100k powertrain warranty? Considering a non-cert car, for about $2500 less with a couple more miles than a certified one.

2) Going off that, any major reliability issues seen so far? I'm considering 2011 and 2012 models at my price point. I've been happy with my Lexus, but it has had a couple electronic quirks.

3) How difficult is it to find nice wheels that don't weigh much more (or even less) than stock? I don't mind spending a good chunk of change on wheels (I am on Weds Kranze right now), but on a previous hybrid of mine, my gas mileage plummeted since my aftermarket wheels weighed more than stock.

4) Any major differences between 11, 12 and 13 models? The research has shown me some audible horn, color changes, and misc....want to make sure I don't miss out on a lot of goodies if I choose an 11

5) F sport grills and misc bits...difficult to swap to a non F sport? Don't care much for the suspension or wheels, but I like the grills...as simple as changing to others or are the bumpers different too? They look similar to my eye.

6) Last one, major maintenance....I think I read somewhere there are no timing belt changes? Is it 100k for waterpump and etc? Not so worried about brakes or a 10k oil change interval (I'd probably stick to my 6k personally), but the major stuff I can foresee in the next 100k or so?
1) Personally not to much. If it was bumper to bumper to bumper fine, but power train only? meh.

2) No. That's why my answer above. Think Gen3 Prius. Do you see any power train issues with those guys? I don't.

3) Tire rack. Stock wheels are 24.4 lbs and are 17x7+45. I've since upgraded to 17x7.5+42 and my wheels weigh 16.4 lbs. I basically made my decision on the lightest wheel that still supports a center cap, since anything without a center cap looks unrefined to me.

4) The major difference is in 2014+. The 2013 benefits from better NAV and interior trim.

5) I believe the difference is in the grill only. Ironically I think we are polar opposites, whereas I care more about the suspension difference and don't really have a preference to non functional items like grills. If you were my neighbor, I'd probably just swap it with you if you really wanted to.

6) Again, think Prius. Anything you do on a Prius you do on the CT. 10k interval is the norm (assuming you stick to synthetics) and anything less is a waste. Just think how many more Prius drivers are out there following the regular service interval. As for 100k....I'm not there yet, (45k here) but I'm not worried about the cost one bit. At the end of the day, it's still only a luxury Prius after all.
Old 03-10-15, 10:07 PM
C8V6C
Pole Position

Thanks man!

I figured reliability would be good. I don't mind spending money to maintain of course, but I like to do most of the maintenance myself. I am just unsure of the major maintenance intervals for this car, and what's needed to be done for trans / waterpump / spark plugs etc. I'm guessing the dealer can enlighten me on this.

Shouldn't be too hard to find aftermarket wheels under 25lbs...I'm thinking an 18 or 19 might fit the wheel well nicely with a mild drop...I'd probably do air and an aggressive wheel later down the road. I'll look more into this after purchase.

Is the Nav screen just better resolution? I never use my LS nav, even with the most up to date disc...but I want/need it for backup camera (would rather not have the rear mirror version). As far as trim goes, are they major changes? Things that could be retrofitted to an 11-12?

You're awesome!
Old 03-10-15, 10:17 PM
edgalang
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

To be honest, I think the biggest difference between a 13 and older is the Nav. Everything else is a trim piece you can install after the fact (example leather wrapped arm rest thing next to cup holders). However, I'm not the best to answer these questions, since when purchasing my 2013 I only focused on the functional changes between F-sport vs non during the same model year. Knowing what I know now, I probably wouldnt of gotten F-sport to begin with, since a lot of what you pay for is fluff. I would of much rather have gotten the highest trim level with memory seats (F-sport is 1 trim level below the highest).
Old 03-10-15, 10:22 PM
C8V6C
Pole Position

Oh yeah, last question...I noticed the convenience key only worked the driver door and hatch...not a huge deal, but did they ever change it to all doors during the years? I'm just used to it working for all 4 doors on my LS.

The specific car of interest had everything except maybe the memory seats...nav, heated seats, everything else I thought came standard. I'm not opposed to a different car, but I liked the price on this one vs some of the others I've found around town.