CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

brakes too sensitive

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-14, 11:02 AM
chroma23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brakes too sensitive

my mom complains that the CT's brakes are too sensitive when she steps on it; one small push to the brake pedal and the car comes to a complete stop, making the ride rough and stutter-y

though oddly enough i have no issues when i drive it myself and go easier on the brakes; maybe its the way my mom drives, or maybe thats the way the lexus hybrid drive works

either way, we have had lots of fights over this and she wont budge the way she drives. is it possible to take the car to the dealership and have them loosen up the brake sensitivity so to speak?

Last edited by chroma23; 08-31-14 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-31-14, 02:30 PM
lcneed
Driver

My guess is that she is riding the brake when she drives and she is used to worn out brake pads. With non-hybrid car, eventually she will worn out the pads enough for her feel comfortable riding the brake. Now with CT's regen brake, she is feeling the regen braking before hitting the pads. It would not get any better for her and she is never going to worn out the pads on the CT...

Last edited by lcneed; 08-31-14 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-31-14, 02:47 PM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 210 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by chroma23
my mom complains that the CT's brakes are too sensitive when she steps on it; one small push to the brake pedal and the car comes to a complete stop, making the ride rough and stutter-y

though oddly enough i have no issues when i drive it myself and go easier on the brakes; maybe its the way my mom drives, or maybe thats the way the lexus hybrid drive works

either way, we have had lots of fights over this and she wont budge the way she drives. is it possible to take the car to the dealership and have them loosen up the brake sensitivity so to speak?
Try having her sit further back. I always felt Toyota hybrids have the brake pedal a little too close to the driver compared to the gas pedal. I always brake too hard because I find myself pressing the pedal way too quickly due to how close it is. Once I move my seat back a bit, where I can only reach half of the gas pedal, I can relax my leg and reach for the brakes in a much more linear, relaxed manner.

You need to use the brakes in a slower, more relaxed manner as well in order not to switch from the regen brakes to the friction brakes too quickly or abruptly. Also, don't forget that the CT has Brake Assist, which will apply extra pressure to the brakes if the computer feels you're applying hard braking very quickly.
Old 08-31-14, 05:46 PM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Nothing wrong with the car. Your mom needs to adapt or drive a different vehicle. It's that simple.
Old 09-02-14, 10:58 AM
TPete19
Driver School Candidate

What ^he said. She just needs to get used to driving it.

When I first got the CT, I thought the brakes were extremely touchy, but have gotten used to it.