CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

New Lexus Hybrid: CT 200h (42 MPG) Updated with F-sport Debut

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-10, 12:33 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing that jumps out at me is the dedicated platform and impressive suspension spec. Double wishbones in rear = NICE and very unusual for this segment.

Everything about it looks great. I said earlier if Toyota can basically make this a Lexus version of the Mazda3, they will have succeed in my book. It looks like they have done just that. I love the looks of it, inside and out. Definitely the most "Euro-looking" Lexus.

Forget the rumors of a CT350 or whatever. Where did those even come from? Putting a V6 in this car would absolutely wreck this platform. This car was clearly designed around one powertrain and one powertrain only.

This would make an awesome daily driver as Mike hinted. Would definitely make it on my short list next time I'm car shopping, even based on what little we've seen thus far. They will have a hit with this product in the Europe and the US.
Old 02-23-10, 12:35 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I am really not liking this at all and am quite frankly, very surprised with how bland it is. Where it's not bland it looks awkward. I can't imagine seeing this car on the road in 5-6 years as the current model- it already looks 2-3 years old. A few opinions...

Front overhang is second only to the new CRZ- what the hell?

For some reason the side profile says "Matrix" with odd proportions- huge driver door with the rear part of the car looking quite small.

Those rims are awful looking.

The front end looks like they put 2IS headlights on the front of an Accord.

The interior looks pretty cool...I would like to see more but the general layout reminds me of the Audi A8.

Overall I had much higher aspirations for this car, and am very disappointed. If they plan to bring this here to target younger buyers I think there's a solid chance of it failing based on how painstakingly bland it is. They hyped this thing as being a game-changing, dramatic entry into it's class and what I see is more of the same- if not worse.

For me personally this thing gets 3/10 stars. I am ridiculously let down by the design, and hope it stays overseas.

Based on the CT, HS, ISc, and RX I am rapidly losing faith in what the 4GS will look like.
Looks are subjective, but the RX is the best-looking CUV in it's class IMHO. Sales-wise the RX is a huge smash hit.

Overhang is not that big; it's a big difference between this and the CR-Z. I think you are being fooled by the small wheels, which make the body and overhangs appear bigger.

These are really low quality pictures, and the car is in white at that, which won't show the car's lines and curves very well. This is in addition to the fact that all modern Lexus vehicles don't photograph very well, as all the details and curves don't appear in photos, but can be seen in real life.

Why don't we wait for high-resolution pictures of the HS and in other colors before making final conclusions.

If the CT does come to North America, I'm pretty sure there will be more power, and/or bigger rims offered.

Have you seen how goofy base model 1 Series, or A3s look in Europe? That is what the CT200h will be competing with.

Originally Posted by venom21
I'd prefer this:

Hope it sells well though.
Good luck with that Alfa reliability .
Old 02-23-10, 12:35 PM
LexFather

I am really not liking this at all and am quite frankly, very surprised with how bland it is. Where it's not bland it looks awkward. I can't imagine seeing this car on the road in 5-6 years as the current model- it already looks 2-3 years old. A few opinions...

For some reason the side profile says "Matrix" with odd proportions- huge driver door with the rear part of the car looking quite small.

The interior looks pretty cool...I would like to see more but the general layout reminds me of the Audi A8.

Overall I had much higher aspirations for this car, and am very disappointed. If they plan to bring this here to target younger buyers I think there's a solid chance of it failing based on how painstakingly bland it is. They hyped this thing as being a game-changing, dramatic entry into it's class and what I see is more of the same- if not worse.

For me personally this thing gets 3/10 stars. I am ridiculously let down by the design, and hope it stays overseas.

Based on the CT, HS, ISc, and RX I am rapidly losing faith in what the 4GS will look like.
I didn't have high expectations in regards to the exterior, especially considering this is going to be a Lexus and it is their first hatch. I am still shocked its being produced.

I am excited to see how the Prus powertrain works in a sportier car. Should be interesting.
Old 02-23-10, 12:39 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

There will only be 1 powertrain worldwide. I am confident of this. Clearly, based on the presser bit that have been leaked, it looks like Lexus focused all their efforts on the platform and packaging, not so much on the powertrain, which was just lifted from the Prius, which is fine.

This thing isn't going to be quick in a straight line, but it will HANDLE.
Old 02-23-10, 12:45 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

I agree.

As venom21 has also pointed out, there are a LOT of hatches in Europe from non-lux brands that already look better than this. The CT looks better than the current 1 series and A3, but the next gens of both are around the corner, and I'm afraid the CT will look dated on arrival sadly.

But I will say that the design is not controversial like the HS's was. The CT is decent looking, and the interior is good.

I was letdown, mainly because of how Lexus was pushing this as a sexy hatch. Check out the racy photoshoot they had with the concept:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmar...7623169498712/
Old 02-23-10, 12:50 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by (Cj)
I agree.

As venom21 has also pointed out, there are a LOT of hatches in Europe from non-lux brands that already look better than this. The CT looks better than the current 1 series and A3, but the next gens of both are around the corner, and I'm afraid the CT will look dated on arrival sadly.

But I will say that the design is not controversial like the HS's was. The CT is decent looking, and the interior is good.

I was letdown, mainly because of how Lexus was pushing this as a sexy hatch. Check out the racy photoshoot they had with the concept:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/missmar...7623169498712/
THe thing is you are not going to out look brands that have made hatches for decades. A lot of those hatches are not great but they do look great.

Thus Lexus came with their Ace in the hole, the hybrid powertrain. That is something NO ONE else offers. I think Lexus got the huge memo you are not going to outsell or do well in Europe offering the same powertrains. There is too much Euro bias.

Lets hope it drives well.

I mean damn people have been asking for sportier models and here they are slowly coming.
Old 02-23-10, 12:52 PM
LexFather

I'm reading on Autoblog...seems low center of gravity was another priority..similar to the LFA

10 colors, 2 new..flame yellow and fire agate...

AdrianXT, the brochure states NEW platform....not sure what they consider "New"

I can't tell if its LED lights or LED daytime running lights

I can't figure this oub ...is sport mode in red? Wow and I think sport mode adds a TACH and gets rid of the battery power meter.

Last edited by LexFather; 02-23-10 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-23-10, 12:52 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Whoops, my bad. Looks like this is the Matrix platform. Same suspension setup and overall dimensions. So it's a Lexus Matrix with Prius drivetrain. Not a bad thing, let's just hope it has some extra "edge" and is priced well.
Old 02-23-10, 12:55 PM
balutsc300
Lead Lap

eh? i was expecting something a bit better than that lol it kinda looks like a matrix in luxury form sigh... oh well there is always the ft-86 to wait for
Old 02-23-10, 01:01 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

So this really didn't cost Lexus much at all to develop, they basically just refined and reskinned the Matrix XRS platform and integrated the Prius drivetrain.

Still looks to be a better effort and better overall vehicle than the HS. I wonder if we'll see it on sale in the US late this year or early next year...?
Old 02-23-10, 01:04 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 152 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
Whoops, my bad. Looks like this is the Matrix platform. Same suspension setup and overall dimensions. So it's a Lexus Matrix with Prius drivetrain. Not a bad thing, let's just hope it has some extra "edge" and is priced well.
there is no such thing as matrix platform ;-). their mid sized platform is shared among half of the cars that toyota sells, including HS250h...

i understand that americans do not see many hatches, but this looks good.

Lexus has been pretty clear on the new platform and new suspension, no toyota hatchback in europe has wishbone suspension.

and 1 series and A3 are best hatches in europe... nothing comes close... alfas go out of style within 2 years after they are introduced and nobody buys them due to poor reliability and awful resale values...

... targeted competition is Audi A3 and BMW 1 series.
Old 02-23-10, 01:06 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

They strayed way too far from the concept. Got me excited for no reason, will not even be considering this Lexus...

Maybe it will be better in person, like the IS-C was.
Old 02-23-10, 01:12 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

I can't figure this oub ...is sport mode in red? Wow and I think sport mode adds a TACH and gets rid of the battery power meter.
1Sick looks like you are correct on both guesses
Attached Thumbnails New Lexus Hybrid: CT 200h (42 MPG) Updated with F-sport Debut-chdash.jpg  
Old 02-23-10, 01:12 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I'm reading on Autoblog...seems low center of gravity was another priority..similar to the LFA

10 colors, 2 new..flame yellow and fire agate...

AdrianXT, the brochure states NEW platform....not sure what they consider "New"

I can't tell if its LED lights or LED daytime running lights

Good catch . That's awesome if Sport mode switches the power meter to a tach. Could we see LFA-style moving gauges in the CT? I think so .

The new colors sound awesome as well.
Old 02-23-10, 01:16 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
there is no such thing as matrix platform ;-). their mid sized platform is shared among half of the cars that toyota sells, including HS250h...

i understand that americans do not see many hatches, but this looks good.

Lexus has been pretty clear on the new platform and new suspension, no toyota hatchback in europe has wishbone suspension.

and 1 series and A3 are best hatches in europe... nothing comes close... alfas go out of style within 2 years after they are introduced and nobody buys them due to poor reliability and awful resale values...

... targeted competition is Audi A3 and BMW 1 series.
Fine, be snarky about it. Let's argue about the semantics of "platform". Lexus clearly used the Matrix XRS as the "platform" for the CT.

The Matrix XRS has the same suspension configuration as the CT and is very similar in terms of packaging (5-door hatch) and dimensions. Do you really think they went out of their way to develop a "new", virtually identical platform to one they already had in their stable?

Ford also says the Transit Connect rides on a "dedicated commercial platform" when we know it's underpinned by the Focus. It's all just marketing psychobable. What else are they supposed to say, the truth? I mean do you really want to read in a Lexus brochure that their exciting new car is underpinned by a Toyota that came out in 2007? No. They're just doing their job and trying to make it sound as good as possible. The "platform" may be "new" to the Lexus lineup, maybe "new" to Europe, but it is most definitely not "new" to Toyota overall.

Quick Reply: New Lexus Hybrid: CT 200h (42 MPG) Updated with F-sport Debut