Club Lexus Vendor Marketplace The place to find group buys and great deals from ClubLexus' supporting vendors.

AP Racing 6 pistons brake upgrade for GS groupbuy

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-02, 10:37 AM
see_fu
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Manaray

Also, Stillen told me that the rotors need to be changed with the pads...has that info changed? I suppose that would apply to track use...for street use, I can see how the same rotor can be used for quite a bit...
I hope you don't have to change the rotors w/ the pads. If I had to do that with the brembos I would be spending $900 each time! $300/padx2 and $75/padx4 is not fun!

Before you start stomping on the brakes just member that once you start going nuts on them, all these big brake systems tend to get really noisey. A friend of mine that got his big brakes installed asked the mechanic who runs willwood on his integra about noise. Said his willwood was fine till he tracked it, not it squeals like a pig! heheh but at least no warp
Old 10-18-02, 10:46 AM
see_fu
Pole Position

Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents on the pads too. Now I only have experience with bimbo's, but I'm pretty sure most big brake kits will do the same. With my bimbo's the pads dust a LOT!!! After about 1/2 mile the calipers already had a layer of dust on it. This dust could have come from 2 places.

1) brake pads
2) zinc plating on the rotors

Either way, my rims are almost gun metal black now and i've only had the brakes on for 200 miles! I'm not to sure what kind of pads the bimbo's use, but a local shop (discount tire) says its hawk hps pads, while a friend of mine said he found out that they use Galfer pads.
Old 10-18-02, 12:29 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fellas i stand corrected as far as stopping distances. car and driver did a test with brembos (both packages), stoptech, and prodrive. i think what threw me was the brembo engineer stating that "dont expect shorter stopping distances but expect the 20th lap to feel like the first". selective memory i have. any way, for those that are interested, the article is here---> http://caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddri...eywords=brakes i think i will hold off and see what manaray has in store. holla......

Rick
Old 10-18-02, 12:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally posted by see_fu

I hope you don't have to change the rotors w/ the pads. If I had to do that with the brembos I would be spending $900 each time! $300/padx2 and $75/padx4 is not fun!

Before you start stomping on the brakes just member that once you start going nuts on them, all these big brake systems tend to get really noisey. A friend of mine that got his big brakes installed asked the mechanic who runs willwood on his integra about noise. Said his willwood was fine till he tracked it, not it squeals like a pig! heheh but at least no warp
what stillen told me is that as long as you maintain your brakes good, meaning check the pads every time you have oil change, check the ss lines for leak, etc... your rotors should be able to sustain at least 4 pad wears. and they told me that surfacing the ap racing rotors is not a good idea, coz' their design is to very detail precision, and 1 mm differential in rotors thickness could cause problems. this is exact words from stillen
Old 10-18-02, 12:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by DrRick
fellas i stand corrected as far as stopping distances. car and driver did a test with brembos (both packages), stoptech, and prodrive. i think what threw me was the brembo engineer stating that "dont expect shorter stopping distances but expect the 20th lap to feel like the first". selective memory i have. any way, for those that are interested, the article is here---> http://caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddri...eywords=brakes i think i will hold off and see what manaray has in store. holla......

Rick
yeah, rmmgs4 and me will also do some tests too i am sure it would be interesting to see the results
Old 10-19-02, 06:06 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's right Romi,
I'll be blowing the dust off my G-Tech pro and we'll be doing some 60 to zeros.

Heck, let's do some zero to 60's while we're at it.

Maybe this Sunday, OK?
Old 10-20-02, 10:11 AM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Well, I guess I'm keeping the GS so I'm in. Glad to be the fifth member of the GB. Gotta like the $2599 price.

Great work pulling all this together rominl!
Old 10-20-02, 06:42 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Sigh....

So I'm told we've lost someone from the GB and so we're back at the higher price. Hey I can appreciate if someone backed out after hearing about the brake package Manaray is trying to pull together. I thought about it for a while but ultimately it doesn't get much better than this.

I hope others out there who appreciate that join in on GB here in the last week. I can't wait to get the brakes!
Old 10-21-02, 07:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

OK guys, today 10/21 5pm PST is the last day of the GB, so I will give it one last push. The AP Racing 6 pistons brake upgrade is no doubt one of the best upgrade out there. I have drove manaray's GS with it already and I can vouch for that. It stops in no time. The brakes definitely do their job.

The retail of the system is $3200, and after doing researach on brakes for 3 months I can tell you it hardly have any kind of discounts or promotions on these things. With the GB now, if we have 2-4 people the price is $2899, and with 5+ people the price is $2599. IMHO at $2599 the price is incredibly good for what you get. A comparable brembo 4 pistons setup will run you for $2900 (13.1" rotor) to $3200 (14" rotor).

The purchase will include a set of two AP Racing 6 pistons calipers (red or black of your choice), 2 ss lines, 2 13.5" drilled / slotted rotors, and your choice of either race / street pads. It takes them about 2 to 3 days to build the kit and the shipping would be around 70 to 80 bucks at most (from CA to east coast)

If you are interested, please call Stillen to place the order:

Stillen Brake-pros
Shawn Stavis
1-800-576-2131
ext. 122
shawns@stillen.com

as usual if you have questions welcome to email me at henrykuo@ee.ucla.edu

Unless some more people decide to back out we have 4 people right now, one more than the price will drop to $2599. For the price you are getting the best brakes out there, I cannot complain.

Thanks!

Last edited by rominl; 10-21-02 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-21-02, 07:08 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i found two pics of the red caliper and the rotorso i am going to post them here. i also have pics of the black one but it's in a PDF file so i can't post it up. if you want it just email me.
Attached Thumbnails AP Racing 6 pistons brake upgrade for GS groupbuy-ap-redcaliper_copy.jpg  
Old 10-21-02, 07:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

pic2
Attached Thumbnails AP Racing 6 pistons brake upgrade for GS groupbuy-ap-redcalipercu_copy.jpg  

Last edited by rominl; 10-21-02 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-22-02, 04:46 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The calipers don't look quite like that however (if they're still selling the same caliper as they were before).

The AP Racing is not that big..it's a small logo with a huge Stillen emblem next to it...

Here is what they look like...well, like this but red.. Unless they changed it...

Last edited by Manaray; 10-22-02 at 04:46 AM.
Old 10-22-02, 12:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

manaray, actually they changed the design already. now for the black calipers, instead of the white area where it says stillen 6 pistons, it says ap racing in a line, in yellow color. no more stillen written there.

and for the red calipers, it's exactly like the picture i showed
Old 10-22-02, 01:41 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Droool.....

Rominl,

I wish I had the money accessible to get into that group buy.. Those pics that you posted of the Red AP caliper makes me drool big time.. I would of gone with the Black with yellow lettering if I had ordered..

Just wanted to say what a great job you did putting this group buy together.. I know how much work is involved with these buys and you did a hell of a job.. Can't wait to see pics of the guys who did get in and their new brakes..
Old 10-22-02, 03:51 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hehehe...they're using the AP inline sticker now...that's funny, I asked AP about that many months ago...I actually was going to get a pair of them but I never got around to it...interesting that Stillen changed that!

The red ones look nice! Wonder why they made the black ones different?

So are you getting red or black?

Like 2Savvy said, great job! It'll be nice to see some more people with real mods on their car!

Quick Reply: AP Racing 6 pistons brake upgrade for GS groupbuy