Club Lexus Vendor Marketplace The place to find group buys and great deals from ClubLexus' supporting vendors.

AutoLamps-Online 9006 4100K HID KIT

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-02, 08:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by mcgong
Manaray,

Have you had a problem with Ballast sliding around. It seems that with the heat, the ballast tend to come loose and slide around. I put one the side of the airbox and the other on top of...not sure what it is, but it looks like another air box on the drivers side in the engine. I think I am going to find another way to secure them down instead of using the doublesided tape. Maybe tire wraps. Any suggestions?
well the best way is always use 3A adhesive stuff to stick it to the car, then use zip ties to tie it around
Old 07-11-02, 02:52 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

MC - Yes I did, I guess it gets REALLY hot in there. I am looking for a new place...I might just make a bolt down braket for it...

What I did is when I parked my car for the night, I just opened the hood, and then used a rag to push back the ballast. It's only slide down once and it wasn't too far from it's original location. Then again, I don't run my car long enough for it to get super hot most of the time...the one on my airbox has not moved at all.
Old 07-13-02, 08:46 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I got mine 8000k for $500

you selling 6000k for same price?
Old 07-13-02, 10:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by a1exus
I got mine 8000k for $500

you selling 6000k for same price?
that's probably not philips? K2 or hella stuff are much cheaper
Old 07-13-02, 10:42 PM
alexus
Pole Position

ahh, I see
Old 07-13-02, 11:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

ahh, I see
yup for the record i got my philips 6000K kits for 480 shipped and that's very good price already.
Old 07-13-02, 11:26 PM
alexus
Pole Position

this is a bit off the topic

how much would cost HID bulbs itself would cost..
Old 07-13-02, 11:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

this is a bit off the topic

how much would cost HID bulbs itself would cost..
oh that i know a lot if you want 6000K philips HID (either d2r or d2s) it would be around 250 bucks a pair shipped. for osram it would be around 230 bucks a paid shipped. this is not from someone i know.
Old 07-23-02, 03:22 PM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do these HID kit bulbs go out?
so if I get a bulb burn out, then I have to pay $200 to replace?
isn't that kinda steep?
Old 07-23-02, 08:49 PM
alexus
Pole Position

they do go out.. they works like any other bulbs.. they all have certain amount of life time depends on their usage they can work either less or more.. and replacment would cost around $100 not $200.. and especially not for 4100k.. eww.. those are very old ones..
Old 07-24-02, 01:45 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, like any lighting product, it will EVENTUALLY go out. However, the AutoLamps/Philips bulbs were engineered to normally OUTLAST the car. Of course, if you have a bad housing and moisture gets on the bulb or you have a short in your electrical system or you dunk the ballast in a tub of water, the system isn't going to last as long...

Now the CHEAP POS kits (8000K and what not) aren't designed to last long. They use cheap bulbs (though they CLAIM to use Philips or some other name brande) and sometimes cheap ballasts....they are just to get you to buy into the whole "HID" craze without providing the quality...you get what you pay for.
Old 07-24-02, 07:05 AM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the response. They are designed to outlast the car?
Our SC's will run for 200k plus relatively easily, I'd be shocked if the bulbs last that long!

Gosh, I'm really on the border-line here. To get or not to get. Just last week my friend who got a ride with my SC for the first time said first thing I should do is to change the lights, as it's really *****ty. And then I just realized this group by and it's going to be over in a week. I can't decide!
I really don't think I can do the installation myself. But the direction seems so thorough! Am I correct to assume that I no longer have to do the 'flip' process anymore? I think I read that they are now shipping ones that are correct as is.

I realize this is for the headlight only. If I get the system, what do I do w/ my parking lights (the lights that are so dim it does absolutely nothing).

Finally, I'm guilty of not being a paid member yet. How can I pay within this week to get in on the group buy? Do you accept CC ?
Old 07-24-02, 02:12 PM
mcgong
Lexus Test Driver

I was in your boat at first Legend when I got my car. I said to myself, "Piaa Hyper Whites" are good enough for me. My friend who road in my car was insisting that I should get HID. At the time I didn't really want to. Then I started noticing more and more cars with HID and I really liked the look. I got to drive my friends Lexus with HIDs and that made me want it even more. And then I saw a special on the news about HID and how more and more people are switching over because they offer more light for night time driving (safer). I would have to say that HID is worth every penny. Like Manaray said, "Once you go HID you can't go back". I got the 4100K kit and it is BRIGHT. I can see ALOT further down the road than my old Hyper Whites. My friend and I just installed a 7000k kit in his car. It looked really nice too, (Light Blue like the Super Plasma Bulbs from PIAA), wasn't as bright as the 4100K though, it just depends on what look you like. Ask anyone here are HID and they will all agree and it is worth it. There's my $0.02.

Last edited by mcgong; 07-24-02 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-24-02, 02:22 PM
alexus
Pole Position

heh

HID is the only one way to go! and nothin' else..
Old 07-25-02, 09:25 AM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

those of you that upgraded to the HID kit, what about the parking lights? It seems like such a waste for a light. If i'm going to take apart and install the lights, i want to do those too, what options I have for those?

Quick Reply: AutoLamps-Online 9006 4100K HID KIT