Club Lexus Vendor Marketplace The place to find group buys and great deals from ClubLexus' supporting vendors.

Sound Deadening Group Buy

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-04, 03:58 PM
bchau_gt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by kaosmoon
Good questions.

Currently I'm driving a 20th Anniversay VW Golf with the louder exhuast. Interior exhuast noise was definitly decreased after application. Doesit remove it? NO, not by any means.But it did reduce it and the resonance in the back of the vehicle a little bit, to the point anyway I can't hear the resonance like I used to. Which I enjoy.

Can't change the color. But you can by adding something to the mix. We don't suggest it. Since it's almost 100% always used behind panels or under carpet where you don't see it anyway we thought the blue was a good color. Lets people know when they missed a spot and especially when they missed something. That and when you look @ it.. it strikes people to say 'what's that'

a single layer is similar to using a single layer of our v1 mat. Except the first layer. The first layer becuase most people don't paint it on uniformly (it's simply hard to do) doesn't really count imo as a contributing layer. It's more of a foundation layer.
Thanks for the info. I'm very tempted to get this stuff just to try it out. Maybe rominl and I can split a gallon.
Old 07-19-04, 05:11 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by bchau_gt
Thanks for the info. I'm very tempted to get this stuff just to try it out. Maybe rominl and I can split a gallon.
damn i thought a gallon is already not enough for a car! we need to get neo into this as well
Old 07-21-04, 03:02 PM
kaosmoon
Rookie

lol.

We've had a few orders here & there for this GB. Just thought I'd let everyone know they shipped no problem and you guys should have UPS Tracking numbers if you were on of a few who ordered.
Old 07-22-04, 11:50 PM
kapdori
Lead Lap

Default I just installed in bottom of my rear seats.

I got the gallon today and installed in my rear seat area tonight. I will post pics tomorrow. I already had brown breaded my trunk so I just did the bottom of rear seat tonight. Put in two coats, results are definitely quieter. I wanted to put it over my doors but got little scared after trying to take off door panels. Could someone show me some instructions on how to take off the doors? I will have to drive around during the day to for sure but even with just rear seat area, ride is quieter. I had issue with my bridgestone so3s for tire noise and replaced with yokohama avs db s2s.

My car is now even quieter than my stock 17 inch setup. I have 18s with yokos and have brown bread on trunk and this blue stuff on my rear bottom seat area. This stuff is little like liquid rubber and 1st coat is little harder to put on, 2nd coat was easier. You have to put in a thicker coat from biggining because its very hard to put thin layer as first coat. But it is definitely easier than dynamat or similar product.

Now I still have a lot left from my gallon bucket so I will have to try to put on doors and maybe more on my trunk area.
Old 07-23-04, 12:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

in your case, how long did it take to dry the paint?

about the door, i posted some quick instructions in the GS forum before, you can try to search. bananags has the diy too. now hard as long as someone show you all the screws. for me 10 mins and it's off.
Old 07-23-04, 12:16 AM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kapdori: What did you use to apply the stuff with? A paint brush, roller etc?
Old 07-23-04, 12:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by LXOGOOD
Kapdori: What did you use to apply the stuff with? A paint brush, roller etc?
i would definitely use a brush, just those cheapo brush from homedepot would do. you want a brush so it can get to all area easily
Old 07-23-04, 07:08 AM
kaosmoon
Rookie

you want a brush so it can get to all area easily
Agreed 100%. We normally just use the .25 cent or .50 cent ones from wal mart at the shop. We keep talk about investing in a sprayer but it's never going to happen
Old 07-23-04, 11:20 AM
kapdori
Lead Lap

kaosmoon,
question. I still can smell the product inside my cabin. Will it go away? or Am I stuck with the smell?
I guess I will wait for smell to go away before applying to the doors.
thanks
Old 07-23-04, 11:31 AM
kaosmoon
Rookie

Originally posted by kapdori
kaosmoon,
question. I still can smell the product inside my cabin. Will it go away? or Am I stuck with the smell?
I guess I will wait for smell to go away before applying to the doors.
thanks
The smell your talking about. I take it it's a plastic type smell, a latex type smell? Kind of like a soap I guess too.

The great part is. That's from it being wet more or less. Normally by the time we shut a car up and send someone on their way you can't even smell it by the time it dries.

It sure never sticks around long like a asphualt.
Old 07-23-04, 12:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

so i guess given enough time to dry it up the smell would be gone huh?
Old 07-23-04, 12:21 PM
kaosmoon
Rookie

Originally posted by rominl
so i guess given enough time to dry it up the smell would be gone huh?
Anyone I've talked to who even shut their car right up after finishing normally it doesn't last more than a day or so. With one excpetion that i can remember where a friend of mine literally put about 5 coats on at once and I bet it took 2 weeks for it all to dry right. He just didn't layer it.

Nothing to worry about really unless someone paints it into their carpet.. Then i imagine it would stay for a little while.
Old 07-25-04, 01:25 AM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am most interested in this product. How does it compare to brownbread mat? Especially in two areas:
1)Weight
2)sound dampening

Are the fumes toxic in anyway?

Thanks,

SC400T
Old 07-25-04, 08:21 AM
kaosmoon
Rookie

I'll see if i can compare it to my own product. As a rule over the years I've learned just not to compare our products to other companies. Someone always gets pissy, bla bla bla, I hate it.

Our eDead v1 material is a mat based product. Very similar to probably 90% of the mat deadeners on the market today.

Effictivly all sound deadening is just mass loading. That's it. If we all had the best option avaliable to us. We'd all have concrete in our doors

Comparitivly (this is not a exact science btw) eDead v1 is just like your traditional 'mat' or dynamat product. It's asphualt, alumn backing, and glue. It works well becuase it's UV resistance, you can get a concentrated weight in not a ton of applications and long story short it works well for increasing anythings mass (when your deadening, your just wanted to increase a specific parts mass).

With that being said. Mass is mass generally. How well it applies, stays, and reacts to the elements are major players in how 'good' a sound deadener is. imo anyway (there are always giong to be conflicting viewpoints). This is where eDead v3 really kicks in with reliability, durability, and ease of installation.

If your looking @ it from a .vs. mat stanpoint (say the Elemental Designs eDead v1 for example). 1 layer of v1 is similar to 1 layer of v3 comparitivly. Similar mass, similar results. Where does v3 stand apart then?

No question in ease of application and flexibility. While the mat product is great (we will continue to sell it) it's not anywhere NEAR as easy to get into small crevices or places with a lot bumps. It's constantly needing to be cut, heated, and pressed on. After time the asphualt will break up (it simply does, there's no way around it) whereas v3 is so much more durable it's not even funny. It doesn't break away, melt, or crack with extreme heat (asphualt based deadeners traditionally will, v1 for example) and in extreme cold as long as the liquid is already dried... the cold won't bother it, where as v1 for example in extreme colds (like other asphualt mats) WILL get brittle and have a potential problem.

1. weight. it's unescapable. But the good news is weight can be reduced in sound deadening by applying where it needs it. Weight reduction then in the sense that the deadening is concentrated in specific areas rather than just coating it. You can actually use less liquid in some instances compared to a layer or two of mat (reducing weight) becase the liquid can actually GET INTO those cracks where you'd just be layering on mat until there was so much weight it doesn't even matter the crack was there in the first place. That's brute force deadening, it's very popular

2. mass is mass really. It does it's job as well as any asphualt traditional mat, and lasts longer, adheres better, installs easier (imo).

It's not a toxic substance per any situation you'd come into with it. Don't put it in your beer to spice it up, don't dare your buddy to drink it, and don't see who can eat the most v3 chips when its dry. It won't kill you, but you might be puking for a few minutes. Myself and the other installers in the shop using this stuff never really use gloves of any kind when handling it, also never gotten any sort of a rash from it, bumps, or had red skin. In all in all it's pretty good stuff and one of my favorite parts I DON'T CUT MY HANDS UP WHEN PUTTING IT IN. I hate slicing my hands on the alumn backing. It always happens. lol.
Old 07-26-04, 12:00 AM
kapdori
Lead Lap

The smell is gone. I will try to apply to doors maybe tomorrow. Sound deadning effect is quite good for rear seat, product is comparable to brown bread. I will try to apply to other places that I wasn't able to get with my brown bread. I will try to post review soon. It is definitely easier to put on although drying time involved is little longer then what I expected. But overall, I am happy so far with the product.

Quick Reply: Sound Deadening Group Buy