CL Vendor Products for SC300/SC400 New product details, group buys and more, specifically for the 1SC model from CL Vendors

Help me make a spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-16, 02:58 PM
APTech
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help me make a spoiler

So A?

Or B?

Old 05-20-16, 03:12 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Irving - sorry none of the above for me . It makes the car looks like a ricer car for me.. meaning no class at all . If I want to add something to my car , it should not only be functional but also aesthetically pleasing . That is just my opinion though. Maybe a lot will like it . It was as though you got a spoiler and plastered it on top of an SC... not something designed taking into consideration the whole shape of the SC .

Our trunk or the car's end is not flat ...it has a concave (convex depending on how you look at it) shape at the rear.

Name:  spoiler2_zpszsc9ydz1.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  174.6 KB

Those I boxed ...being straight lines doesn't fall in line with the roundness of the SC butt . It is even more pronounced on the lower part because that part of the trunk is not flat.

Check the original 92 SC spoiler .. .build from there if I were to be asked. Like no overhang on the quarter panels and make it higher instead of being just flat . But if you observe its shape it follows the contours of the SC rear end.

This is the original 92-96 spoiler . I personally (may not be for others ) would like something similar in shape but goes higher just like yours. Then maybe I can consider trying one for my Old Man Tan's SC. I currently have the original one there but I like it higher to make it more functional for me but retaining it's good looks.

Something like this in height for me.

Again .. this is just my personal preference .. probably not for the many. You have to do something that will be liked by the majority and be profitable. So get the opinion of the majority WHO WILL BUY YOUR PRODUCT and not just be wishful thinkers so you don't waste time and money.

Last edited by gerrb; 05-20-16 at 03:35 PM.
Old 05-20-16, 03:32 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
Irving - sorry none of the above for me . It makes the car looks like a ricer car for me.. meaning no class at all . If I want to add something to my car , it should not only be functional but also aesthetically pleasing . That is just my opinion though. Maybe a lot will like it . It was as though you got a spoiler and plastered it on top of an SC... not something designed taking into consideration the whole shape of the SC .

Our trunk or the car's end is not flat ...it has a concave (convex depending on how you look at it) shape at the rear.

Those I boxed ...being straight lines doesn't fall in line with the roundness of the SC butt . It is even more pronounced on the lower part because that part of the trunk is not flat.

Check the original 92 SC spoiler .. .build from there if I were to be asked. Like no overhang on the quarter panels and make it higher instead of being just flat . But if you observe its shape it follows the contours of the SC rear end.

This is the original 92-96 spoiler . I personally (may not be for others ) would like something similar in shape but goes higher just like yours. Then maybe I can consider trying one for my Old Man Tan's SC. I currently have the original one there but I like it higher to make it more functional for me but retaining it's good looks.

Something like this

Again .. this is just my personal preference .. probably not for the many. You have to do something that will be liked by the majority and be profitable.
I agree, make it just like this but for an sc
Old 05-20-16, 03:46 PM
APTech
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb

The Supra's rear actually arches upward though, unlike the SC whose rear is relatively flat. I think the angle may be doing it injustice though, as the top line in particular has already been worked on to line up with the curvature of the roofline.

These images are just prototypes, so we will be doing finishing touches, but my question was more "do we extend it onto the 1/4panel body lines, or do we end it at the trunk line?".
Old 05-20-16, 03:59 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

for me .. end it at the trunk line .

check the original 92 spoiler .. it follows the contour of the SC body lines (the trunk top being flat and not arched) except that I hate it extending beyond the trunk line and it is just plain flat.
Old 05-20-16, 04:37 PM
Zerodrag
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Out of curiosity, doesn't it being at that height block the third brake light mounted on the rear decklid? That may be something to consider.
Old 05-20-16, 05:05 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 229 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerodrag
Out of curiosity, doesn't it being at that height block the third brake light mounted on the rear decklid? That may be something to consider.
That raises the additional question of whether it will be made to accept the factory spoiler's brake light? If not, that might make it unusable on the street for both configurations.
Old 05-20-16, 07:22 PM
OmgSc400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why not something like the wise spoiler? but maybe make it more round around the edges?
Old 05-20-16, 07:36 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

honestly if you can make something like this Ill be more interested

Old 05-20-16, 07:45 PM
Zerodrag
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I think a slightly more aggressive version of the 1st gen SC factory spoiler wouldn't be a bad idea. This was done a few times in the 80's and 90's by bodykit companies like Erebuni and Kaminari for other vehicles I think
Old 05-21-16, 01:55 AM
SC510
Pole Position

I'd go with B if i had to pick. Reminds of the wise spoiler. And if it is going that route maybe it needs to be a little more agressive? But i say extend to the quarter panel

Last edited by SC510; 05-21-16 at 02:26 AM.
Old 05-22-16, 02:46 PM
seecjrun
Driver School Candidate

I made an account just to get in on this. I would prefer B. It flows with the body line better instead of looking slapped on just the trunk.

I'll be looking for the group buy thread. Keep us posted!
Old 05-22-16, 02:59 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

I prefer a stock 92-96 spoiler to either A or B. Feel like it needs to be more round/have more curvature to it to look decent.
Old 05-22-16, 04:02 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Agreed with everyone else comments.....so far its a fail for me......way to big

Personal I would just use the 92-95 SC spoiler as a starting point and build off that....
Old 05-23-16, 05:39 AM
alfa spade
Driver School Candidate

I'm down with A. a little shorter by maybe 1/4 inch but also in carbon. If you could add a rear brake light to it. something simple and LEDish to update the car a little. that would be cool.

Or Maybe same height just a hole in the middle like this one. But instead of the two legs going from the wing down. maybe use your shape you have already and have the spoiler touch the trunk at the ends with style A. Just imagine this spoiler without the middle connection to the spoiler.

Quick Reply: Help me make a spoiler