CL Vendor Products for IS-F New product details, group buys and more, specifically for the IS-F model from CL Vendors

New Product FIGS CNC Billet Battery Bar V2

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-16, 10:30 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

Bars are back from Anodize.

Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 10-07-16, 04:00 PM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

What's the trick to removing the OEM front J-bolt? Does the battery have to come out? Thanks..

-Mike
Old 10-08-16, 07:57 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 141 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mikersoft
What's the trick to removing the OEM front J-bolt? Does the battery have to come out? Thanks..

-Mike
The factory Jbolt is in a clip trac and a lower j bolt. You need to push it down first, then pry it to the drivers side to get it to pop out of the channel. I will try to get a tutorial on it, might be best with a video. A long tool to put leverage on the post will be helpful. Also, the fitment is tight between the reservoir caps but it will cince down. I just went back through the factory batteries that Lexus is not using, made by interstate and its snug for sure, but some may be tighter due to manufacturing tolerances. If you run into an issue please let us know. I am working on an even slimmer design in this area for those with problems.
Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
Old 12-20-16, 04:34 AM
mikersoft
Lexus Test Driver

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks for the info, Mike... I forgot to follow up on this after installation. I think it looks great. However, I may have used the new J bolt incorrectly.. In the only position I could get it to catch the underside of the battery tray, it ended up being too long up top. After tightening the nut on top, the J bolt was protruding an inch or more above the bar. I ended up just cutting it down with a hacksaw. Anyway, it hasn't moved or loosened up yet (it's been nearly two months), so it seems fine.

-Mike
Old 12-24-16, 11:57 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mikersoft
Thanks for the info, Mike... I forgot to follow up on this after installation. I think it looks great. However, I may have used the new J bolt incorrectly.. In the only position I could get it to catch the underside of the battery tray, it ended up being too long up top. After tightening the nut on top, the J bolt was protruding an inch or more above the bar. I ended up just cutting it down with a hacksaw. Anyway, it hasn't moved or loosened up yet (it's been nearly two months), so it seems fine.

-Mike
It is possible to install the stock J-hook in the tray in a high position without actually engaging the hook in the tray where it should be. The stock J-hook is a normal J-hook with a piece of formed sheet metal tacked to it. The sheet metal helps distribute the load (since the hook engages in the plastic tray) and includes a feature to hold it in place so it doesn't fall out of the tray. The sheet metal will engage with the tray, about an inch higher than it should sit. Basically it is the "wings" that stick out on the right in this picture that will engage with the tray:

How do I know all of this seemingly useless information? I put a lightweight battery in my car, figuring out a mounting solution has been an adventure, at one point I accidentally installed the hook as I described above. It was fine for a couple of months, but the sheet metal will bend quite easily so if you do have this happening I would correct it. Use a flashlight and look down at the base of the tray, if you see any of the sheet metal other than the tiny little tab opposite the hook it is installed incorrectly.