CL Vendor Products for 3IS New product details, group buys and more, specifically for 3IS models from CL Vendors

New Product RR Racing ECU Tuning and Supercharger Development

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-18, 11:21 AM
loophole35
Pole Position

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Are there any plans to tune the 8AR/200t ECU?
Old 02-13-18, 01:18 PM
gte
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not sure what you mean by signed up, but they referenced on Facebook that the car had at least 440 to 450whp in it, hence my question (not a demand by the way).

I won't be the guinea pig but I'll certainly posted about it ... I have a 1200whp GTR for the weekend, so it'd be nice to have the GS be a bit faster than average to close that large power gap.

Originally Posted by schur
LOL you're right I had no idea RR had signed up for 450RWHP - that will be astonishing - I can't wait to see the Dyno charts

I'm looking forward to your review gte, when yours is installed! Keep us updated!!!
Old 02-13-18, 02:10 PM
IMSCHUR
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Enjoy the GTR for the weekend - I'd love to get that bad boy out on the track. My IS is my daily driver/winter car, my fun car is a custom tuned Corvette making 500whp. I'm so tempted to do this to the IS, even though its 500 lbs heavier it would be quite the suburban sleeper sedan at 450whp. Closest thing we may see to an IS F in this generation, if not faster than that and lighter without the 8cyl. Probably bad for my license but fun to toss around regardless. I'd probably have to do some good suspension and braking upgrades at that power level for the twisties. For now I'm enjoying the snappiness the RR ECU tune added to my IS 300 - it made quite the difference and I really like the 7200 redline now, it loves to wind out and I'm very happy with it now in the Chicago snow and AWD config.
If RR squeezes 450whp out of this engine reliably, it will be quite the accomplishment. I was blown away with the 412 they dyno'd. It will be fun to watch.
Old 02-13-18, 02:43 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by Drawblood
They'll never notice, go for it! Your motor will run better, keep the same gas mileage and be a lot fast!
The only issue is...if you have a 2017+, you'll be without your car several days. The ECU will have to be over nighted to RR for a bench top tune, then they'll over night it back. Contact them directly for further details. Don't let this scare you, it's worth every penny and all your time.
If you get ambitious...like myself...the headers and exhaust turn the IS into an absolute beast! And it sounds amazing as well!
I do have to wonder if, during service, the service department does road tests of the vehicle as specified by the maintenance schedule. If so, that would be the time they'd notice, unless their road test is just puttering around the parking lot...
Old 02-13-18, 07:31 PM
IMSCHUR
Rookie

Originally Posted by arentz07
I do have to wonder if, during service, the service department does road tests of the vehicle as specified by the maintenance schedule. If so, that would be the time they'd notice, unless their road test is just puttering around the parking lot...
A Lexus service department doing a real road test for an oil change/overpriced inspection, serious enough to wring it out to detect a slight HP change from a tune? Priceless.
I think your supposition of puttering around the parking lot is much more the reality. Frankly I doubt any cars say in the first 30K ever leave the oil change bay.

Old 02-14-18, 06:49 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by schur
A Lexus service department doing a real road test for an oil change/overpriced inspection, serious enough to wring it out to detect a slight HP change from a tune? Priceless.
I think your supposition of puttering around the parking lot is much more the reality. Frankly I doubt any cars say in the first 30K ever leave the oil change bay.
Well, if you have a 300 that's tuned, it's going to feel more like a 350, which, if you have driven both, is noticeable. But yeah, somehow I don't see them having time to actually do road tests. Just throwing that out there, that technically there's a risk.
Old 02-14-18, 07:34 AM
loophole35
Pole Position

Well, if you have a 300 that's tuned, it's going to feel more like a 350, which, if you have driven both, is noticeable. But yeah, somehow I don't see them having time to actually do road tests. Just throwing that out there, that technically there's a risk.
You would only notice the difference if they drive the car hard enough. The power difference is only above 4200 RPM's.
Old 02-14-18, 09:12 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Originally Posted by loophole35
You would only notice the difference if they drive the car hard enough. The power difference is only above 4200 RPM's.
Hmm, why am I seeing feedback like this then? link
My IS 300 is transformed. Not only is it wildly better above 4200 now (and doesn't die off), which I expected, but it also seems to pull a bit harder climbing to that. The 7200 RPM redline is beauty to my ears. I am enjoying the increased power and I have not even gotten many miles towards redoing the "learning correction factor". This is a fun sedan to drive as a daily driver. I say skip the 350, get a 300, use the price difference on the RR tune and headers/exhaust to a much better effect.
If it pulls better below that, or has improved throttle response, I am just saying... they might notice. I don't mean to be stubborn, but there does seem to be conflicting evidence around this - "completely transformed" is either hyperbolic, or something that they would most certainly notice.
Old 02-14-18, 09:21 AM
Mesh704
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 97 Posts

You will have the tuning device with you so just switch it back to Stock before taking it to the dealer.

As of power I'm positive you will gain more power with the tuning from RR. So you won't be disappointed with the Tune.

End of the story...
Old 02-14-18, 12:22 PM
IMSCHUR
Rookie

Luckily with the Enform Remote App I can turn on guest driver mode and a max speed of 35 mph ;-)
The following users liked this post:
momak (04-03-20)
Old 02-19-18, 07:54 AM
loophole35
Pole Position

Hmm, why am I seeing feedback like this then? link

If it pulls better below that, or has improved throttle response, I am just saying... they might notice. I don't mean to be stubborn, but there does seem to be conflicting evidence around this - "completely transformed" is either hyperbolic, or something that they would most certainly notice.
In your quote there are two things that stand out. It points out what I posted about the major difference being above 4200RPM’s and the “seems to pull harder before that” that is likely placebo as yes there is a slight gain before 4200 it would likely not be that obvious to someone who drives hundreds of cars a year. Also when driving around for a test drive the tech should not ever drive it hard enough to notice the tune.
Old 02-26-18, 05:51 PM
L0ngJ0hn
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by L0ngJ0hn
The transmission still seems to be slipping in that video.
Edit: The 1-2 shift looks great.
The 3-4 seems to slip for a second
4th just as the video ends looks like is frees right up
Ya so... Am I the only one that see's this? Whats the deal with the slip?
Old 02-26-18, 10:17 PM
Mesh704
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by L0ngJ0hn
Ya so... Am I the only one that see's this? Whats the deal with the slip?
They still working on the trans slip.
Old 02-27-18, 06:09 AM
solomaniac
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mesh704
They still working on the trans slip.
The transmission slip, which no one still really wants to talk about. Which is shady, but nonetheless if nobody wants to give a full explanation, so be it....However, when the slip does occur under the Tuned conditions, is it simply only losing horsepower under a hard pull? Or, when it sips under extreme acceleration, could it potentially cause catastrophic engine failure? Or any damage at all?? Anyone, feel free....Some of us are tuned out there and may have the slip.
Old 02-27-18, 06:44 AM
gte
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

You should ask your questions first before you start name calling. I believe what you are calling transmission slip (from the video in the first post, correct?), is actually an inability of the transmission to shift quick enough. If it was straight trans slippage it would do so near peak torque during acceleration and not bounce off of the rev limiter. If the rev limiter was raised higher or the shift point set lower you wouldn't even hear it.

The dyno charts show no trans slippage through the acceleration runs. Of course there is additional load on the vehicle when it is in motion, compared to being stationary on the dyno, but I don't see any slippage.

Originally Posted by solomaniac
The transmission slip, which no one still really wants to talk about. Which is shady, but nonetheless if nobody wants to give a full explanation, so be it....However, when the slip does occur under the Tuned conditions, is it simply only losing horsepower under a hard pull? Or, when it sips under extreme acceleration, could it potentially cause catastrophic engine failure? Or any damage at all?? Anyone, feel free....Some of us are tuned out there and may have the slip.

Quick Reply: New Product RR Racing ECU Tuning and Supercharger Development