CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

Hit and Run, CHP says out of our jurisdiction...Just venting...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-13, 03:12 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts
Exclamation Hit and Run, CHP says out of our jurisdiction...Just venting...

Sup fellows, I never thought in my life I have to encounter this kind of situation. Last night on my way to work, I was on the 105E and exited bellflower blvd. While at the off ramp, i was in the center lane waiting for the green light to make a left turn. There's another vehicle on my left side 2000-2004 LINCOLN LS white/silver waiting for the green light as well to make a left. Well green light turns, I proceed with the left turn and this douche bag on my left, suppose to make a left, but went straight and hit me on the back. It's like a PIT manuever, he made on reverse and back on ramp on the 105E again. I chased this dump *** for at least couple of mile while I have the 911 operator on my phone. She ask me where was the car, color and description, mind you I am chasing this guy. When I told her I am chasing with a good distance, she told me just pull over and let the chp handle it. I know for the fact this guy cant drive crap, i was always behind him, but he was driving erratically so i decided to pull over and i was afraid he could cause an accident. I went to pull over at florence and ord in santa fe spring. 20 minutes later, CHP shows up and i told them what happened and they said that it was out their jurisdiction, because it happened on the intersection..Downey PD was suppose to be the one would make the investigation. The car didn't have any license plate, it was the dealer paper plate showing MILLER. They even mentioned that, since there were no injuries reported, probably downey pd will probaly not pay attention to it...At this point I got so upset, because there's nothing they can do and I told them why are you are here for? I told them that stop wasting the tax payers money and no wonder this state is broke because you guys are just wasting time...I was very angry and I told them it would been better of me keep chasing the guy and then handle this thing on the freeway. I told that from now on i'll look at the chp on a different level..I was just very upset, because the damage is less than my deductible as well. Learning lesson from me is that, stay where you are when you encontered hit and run and whoever is on that jurisdiction to let them handle that crap...Now i am thinking to wrap the car or get a whole body paint since i have a lot rock chips and dents.. thanks for the time...
Attached Thumbnails Hit and Run, CHP says out of our jurisdiction...Just venting...-wp_20130822_001.jpg  
Old 08-22-13, 04:48 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

sorry to hear about what happened, chris.

IMO the CHP officer was not exactly spot-on with his response. From what I understand is that CHP has jurisdiction anywhere in the state of California - not just on the highway. yes, don't let the name fool you, but I digress. However, in cities that have their own police departments, CHP is supposed to hand off enforcement and investigation to the local PD. (note: this may be subject to correction.)

Having said that, as Downey has its own police department, the CHP officer was half-right - Downey PD should be the ones investigating this. that shouldn't stop the CHP officer from at least making contact w/ Downey PD and handing you off to them before he leaves the scene. can't say the CHP officer wasn't doing his job, but then again it sounds like there might have been a misunderstanding or two.

as much as it might pain you to have to deal w/ law enforcement after what happened, you might want to consult with someone more familiar with law enforcement (a higher-ranking officer, lawyer, etc.) and get some type of answer. you might also want to think about filing a complaint against the CHP officer for neglecting his duties in respect with this whole jurisdiction issue.

as far as the damage done to your 2is, if the body panels of the affected area and the rear bumper are still lined up, see if you can't get it fixed out-of-pocket if it's less than your deductible.

again, sorry to hear what happened. hope you get things resolved quickly.
Old 08-22-13, 06:22 PM
jvjr9902
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chp

That's BS. But take note of this , CHP will pull you over on side street if you commit any traffic violation. I thought they were exclusively for highways only but one time I got pulled over in Monrovia residential street. These people seem very lazy when it comes to doing paperworks.
Old 08-22-13, 07:12 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Sucks. CHP will revenue you when it helps the state. You'll get it taken care of quicker by using your insurance. The report would help but either way that is why you have uninsured and collision coverage for.
Old 08-22-13, 07:39 PM
GSdarksol
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dam sorry to hear this happend....dam CHP suks ballz.. ( knock on wood, don't wanna get pulled over..lol )

Damage is just what is pictured? for the meantime you can try cleaning and buffing it, might make it look better.
Old 08-22-13, 08:45 PM
SoCal_450h
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sorry to hear what happened, I've been in similar situation. that's why im planning to do Dash Cam on my next mod.

http://www.blackboxmycar.com/collect...r500gw-hd-wifi

Last edited by SoCal_450h; 08-22-13 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-23-13, 10:37 AM
JonTheFish
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jvjr9902
That's BS. But take note of this , CHP will pull you over on side street if you commit any traffic violation. I thought they were exclusively for highways only but one time I got pulled over in Monrovia residential street. These people seem very lazy when it comes to doing paperworks.
Damn, I thought CHP can only pull you over on streets that are also highways. For example, Lakewood Blvd. is actually Highway 19, so I've seen people pulled over on Lakewood by CHP officers.
Old 08-23-13, 01:47 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

If someone hit me and run with no license plate, I would pursuit until the police pull them over.
Old 08-23-13, 02:45 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Initial_K
If someone hit me and run with no license plate, I would pursuit until the police pull them over.
thats was my intention, but the dispatcher said that if the other vehicle got involved in an accident i could be liable for it as well. I see how he try to get away from me, but he cant drive crap. I dont any innocent individual get involve because of his dumb ***...

update: i went to downey pd today and i gave the description of the car. They handed me a incident report and thats the end of it.
Old 08-23-13, 02:54 PM
chris07is
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JonTheFish
Damn, I thought CHP can only pull you over on streets that are also highways. For example, Lakewood Blvd. is actually Highway 19, so I've seen people pulled over on Lakewood by CHP officers.
yes, my co worker told me that lakewood is a major highway and thats part of their jurisdiction.
Old 08-23-13, 07:40 PM
thm8d
Pole Position

Damn sorry for your loss. Damage doesnt look too bad. Possibly buff it off?
Old 08-23-13, 08:01 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sucks broh. Yeah damage doesn't look that bad. Could have been a lot worse

Last edited by rgarjr; 08-23-13 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08-23-13, 10:15 PM
darksands
Driver School Candidate

Next time, and I hope there is not a next time, get the officers name and say you are going to file a formal complaint.
Old 08-30-13, 09:55 PM
Shoganai
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn.... That sux bro. Hope everything works out.
Old 08-31-13, 01:18 AM
HOMBRVERDE
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chris07is
thats was my intention, but the dispatcher said that if the other vehicle got involved in an accident i could be liable for it as well. I see how he try to get away from me, but he cant drive crap. I dont any innocent individual get involve because of his dumb ***...

update: i went to downey pd today and i gave the description of the car. They handed me a incident report and thats the end of it.
You should look for the Miller Dealership and talk to a manager and ask if they can tell you who purchased the car.

Quick Reply: Hit and Run, CHP says out of our jurisdiction...Just venting...