CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

dealer service department that will let me supply my own oil and filter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-12, 11:13 AM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default dealer service department that will let me supply my own oil and filter?

is there a socal lexus dealer service department that will 1. give me a loaner and 2. let me use my own filters and oil? i'm closest to longo, but i've never been there, and i know glendale won't let me on both points haha. my 600h is due for a 40k service.

i have like 10 cases of eneos 0w20 sitting in my garage haha
Old 02-22-12, 11:28 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Call ahead to the service writer and verify. With oil changes, not as big a deal as bringing parts from outside. Many of the shops will accept but keep in mind with parts sourced outside of them, they may not give fully warranty so you will be charged for removal and have to handle a warranty return through your original source. Sometimes this works out but it just introduces additional hoops to jump through.
Old 02-22-12, 01:22 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RA40
Call ahead to the service writer and verify. With oil changes, not as big a deal as bringing parts from outside. Many of the shops will accept but keep in mind with parts sourced outside of them, they may not give fully warranty so you will be charged for removal and have to handle a warranty return through your original source. Sometimes this works out but it just introduces additional hoops to jump through.
thanks for the advice -- all the parts i have are oem, purchased from a lexus dealer haha. it's just that i hate getting charged $15 for an oil filter that i can buy for $4.
Old 02-22-12, 01:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

that's weird, i always bring my own filter and oil. i go to keyes though, not sure if that's ok with you?

regarding loaner that's going to be tough. oil change usually is relatively fast, i think they have criteria how much time it takes before assigning loaners
Old 02-22-12, 04:03 PM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
that's weird, i always bring my own filter and oil. i go to keyes though, not sure if that's ok with you?

regarding loaner that's going to be tough. oil change usually is relatively fast, i think they have criteria how much time it takes before assigning loaners
yeah, last time glendale told me they could only give me a loaner when i do a mileage service. my 35k mileage service for the 600h is an oil change and tire rotation LOL. they wouldn't give me a loaner, but since the tech is my friend he was able to get the car out in 15 minutes haha
Old 02-22-12, 04:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by cheez80
yeah, last time glendale told me they could only give me a loaner when i do a mileage service. my 35k mileage service for the 600h is an oil change and tire rotation LOL. they wouldn't give me a loaner, but since the tech is my friend he was able to get the car out in 15 minutes haha
yeah i know, otherwise i think a hour for oil change is about how long it takes

at least i am able to bring my oil and filter, good enough for me while i have breakfast and check out new cars
Old 02-22-12, 11:27 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Like that "free/complimentary" sandwich and bottled water I had when they were doing the $600 alternator. Wife asked if I had lunch...sure, Lexus dealer had sandwiches and it was for the taking. She gave me that small eye look, "was it really?" Hahaha... I should have taken a test drive... But that leads into car temptation which is very bad.

For that matter, just keep me away from the dealerships.
Old 02-22-12, 11:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by RA40
Like that "free/complimentary" sandwich and bottled water I had when they were doing the $600 alternator. Wife asked if I had lunch...sure, Lexus dealer had sandwiches and it was for the taking. She gave me that small eye look, "was it really?" Hahaha... I should have taken a test drive... But that leads into car temptation which is very bad.

For that matter, just keep me away from the dealerships.
tell us already, i am sure you cleared their whole fridge
Old 02-23-12, 12:40 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by cheez80
is there a socal lexus dealer service department that will 1. give me a loaner and 2. let me use my own filters and oil? i'm closest to longo, but i've never been there, and i know glendale won't let me on both points haha. my 600h is due for a 40k service.

i have like 10 cases of eneos 0w20 sitting in my garage haha
1) Loaner is available if you're doing a big service or warranty work. LOF is a relatively quick service and a loaner is usually not provided on those type of services.

2) I've done it many times. I only take my cars to Longo Lexus. 10 quarts of Eneos for my IS F was $$$$.
Old 02-23-12, 12:41 AM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bring my own oil and have Longo Lexus do the oil changes. Never had a problem, i'm sure they won't mind if you supply the filter either (they always ask me if I have just the oil, or both) Regarding the loaner car, its not easy to get a loaner car for an oil change since its a quick process. But if you drop your car off in the evening before the service department closes, I find they will let you take a loaner home and pick your car up the next day so long as they have loaner cars left over that nobody needs early the next morning either. Longo has been really good to me though. I highly recommend Longo Lexus, speak to Jimmy Tach if you decide to go there, mention your from ClubLexus too, he will take good care of you either way
Old 02-23-12, 11:08 AM
timmy0tool

Received 416 Likes on 371 Posts

just curious as to what prevents the techs from keeping the oil from themselves and using the regular stuff on your car instead? this small fear always lead me to do my own changes. that plus i know it was done right if i did it, or i can only blame myself if something does go wrong. i suppose you're always at the mercy of the dealer, or any shop for that matter.
Old 02-25-12, 12:20 AM
cheez80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by flipside909
1) Loaner is available if you're doing a big service or warranty work. LOF is a relatively quick service and a loaner is usually not provided on those type of services.

2) I've done it many times. I only take my cars to Longo Lexus. 10 quarts of Eneos for my IS F was $$$$.
thanks, might take my car to longo next. i got a loaner for my complimentary CPO oil change at glendale, but my tech friend told me they're starting to tighten up their loaner policy.

Originally Posted by KillaIS250
I bring my own oil and have Longo Lexus do the oil changes. Never had a problem, i'm sure they won't mind if you supply the filter either (they always ask me if I have just the oil, or both) Regarding the loaner car, its not easy to get a loaner car for an oil change since its a quick process. But if you drop your car off in the evening before the service department closes, I find they will let you take a loaner home and pick your car up the next day so long as they have loaner cars left over that nobody needs early the next morning either. Longo has been really good to me though. I highly recommend Longo Lexus, speak to Jimmy Tach if you decide to go there, mention your from ClubLexus too, he will take good care of you either way
thanks, i'll ask for him!

Originally Posted by timmy0tool
just curious as to what prevents the techs from keeping the oil from themselves and using the regular stuff on your car instead? this small fear always lead me to do my own changes. that plus i know it was done right if i did it, or i can only blame myself if something does go wrong. i suppose you're always at the mercy of the dealer, or any shop for that matter.
ah, that's the risk you run taking your car to the shop haha
Old 02-26-12, 10:15 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ask for the containers back if you think they are taking the oil

That's also another reason why I love Longo Lexus - they have a clear glass wall between the waiting area and the service bay, so you can literally sit and watch them work on your car.
Old 02-27-12, 10:56 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

You don't have to worry about things like this at Longo. Cameras are all over the place and employees would have a hard time trying to do a bait and switch on activities on their property. I've taken most all of my services on all my Lexus cars i've purchased from them over the years (a few have been done at Lexus of Stevens Creek (Longo's sister dealer) in San Jose when i'm up there.