ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   CL of Southern California (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-of-southern-california-149/)
-   -   Referral for Coilover Installation (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-of-southern-california/559977-referral-for-coilover-installation.html)

LexiBear 03-20-11 10:36 PM

Referral for Coilover Installation

Hi SoCal members,

I just got an 08 IS350 and I'm looking for a shop in OC that can install coilovers and a rear camber kit.

I got a quote from a local repair shop and they estimated $510 for the labor which seems kind of high so I want to shop around. That quote does include an alignment. Since it was over the phone, they said the actual cost may differ once I bring all my stuff in for them to look at.

I saw a few other threads that were a couple years old so just wondering if there are any other shops that you would recommend.

Legitek 03-20-11 10:38 PM

Well I know for a fact it isnt suppose to be that high.

KillaIS250 03-20-11 10:43 PM

LOL @ $510.

hit up Tommy @ Music Box in El Monte. It's not too far of a drive and i know for damn sure it aint gonna be near $510!!

626-823-2853
948 Durfee ave
S. El Monte

He can't do alignment though, but i'll PM you on a hook up for that.

MiiK350 03-20-11 10:58 PM

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/cl-...-el-monte.html

If you go anywhere else, the quality of work will not be as good, and you will get ripped off. I've been at tommy for my car, girl friends car, brother in law's (my sister's bf, and my gf's brother).

LexiBear 03-20-11 10:58 PM

Yeah they said it would take 6-7 hours...

Thanks KillaIS250! I will call up Tommy this week, saw his name in previous threads so glad to hear he's still around. El Monte isn't too far...besides I'm looking for more reasons to drive my IS :)

LexiBear 03-20-11 11:00 PM

Thanks for the link MiiK350.

KillaIS250 03-20-11 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by LexiBear (Post 6241043)
Yeah they said it would take 6-7 hours...

Thanks KillaIS250! I will call up Tommy this week, saw his name in previous threads so glad to hear he's still around. El Monte isn't too far...besides I'm looking for more reasons to drive my IS :)

Tommy should be able to get it done much faster than that, and his labor rates are UNBEATABLE.

Just tell him you heard about him through Clublexus and he will take care of you! A lot of Socal Clublexus peeps go to Tommy.

shiny250 03-21-11 08:35 PM

TOMMY!!! definitely a really good guy who knows what he's doing. He's fair in his prices and quick in his work.

phamxOC 03-21-11 10:17 PM

should be around 250 labor. for everything or less...

SGVJACK 03-21-11 11:12 PM

DAMN 520 is straight up hustlin!!

ShadowISF 03-22-11 01:06 AM

I think Tommy can do the install for ~$200 in ~ 1 hour. :)

KillaIS250 03-22-11 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by ShadowISF (Post 6244530)
I think Tommy can do the install for ~$200 in ~ 1 hour. :)

^ Sounds about right! Lol

xapexi 03-22-11 09:19 AM

yeah last time he quoted me for install it was about 200

LexiBear 03-23-11 12:07 AM

Tommy quoted me 170 for the coilover install but to put on the camber kit is going to be another 120-170 depending on how many arms there are...he lost me there. Plus, I will need to kick out another 100-120 for an alignment elsewhere. It's all adding up really fast. I do have to say he is a really nice guy.

I will see if an alignment shop will install the camber kit for less...

LexiBear 03-23-11 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by phamxOC (Post 6244216)
should be around 250 labor. for everything or less...

Can you recommend a place in OC or within 50 miles that can do it for that much?

4ntvings 03-23-11 01:04 PM

dynamic auto in midway city

gemini1 03-23-11 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by LexiBear (Post 6240992)
Hi SoCal members,

I just got an 08 IS350 and I'm looking for a shop in OC that can install coilovers and a rear camber kit.

I got a quote from a local repair shop and they estimated $510 for the labor which seems kind of high so I want to shop around. That quote does include an alignment. Since it was over the phone, they said the actual cost may differ once I bring all my stuff in for them to look at.

I saw a few other threads that were a couple years old so just wondering if there are any other shops that you would recommend.

^^^ Tommy@Muscibox is your man! :thumbup:
He will install it fast and price you can't beat! :thumbup:

ISF4life 03-23-11 02:48 PM

+10 for Tommy he is The MAN

hwy1isf 03-23-11 06:40 PM

+11 Music Box all the way

1KhpWrx 03-23-11 07:54 PM

I have a shop in south orange county that can do all of it for a fair price.

LexiBear 03-23-11 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by 4ntvings (Post 6248945)
dynamic auto in midway city

I called him too and he said he could do them but didn't recommend it. Maybe cuz I am a girl? Hahaha. I don't know why but I am having second thoughts about the whole thing...

I trust all the positive recommendations for Tommy here so I may just have him do the coilovers first and figure out the camber kit later. My husband is looking for rims for me so I don't know if any of my settings will need to change later.

LexiBear 03-23-11 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by 1KhpWrx (Post 6250135)
I have a shop in south orange county that can do all of it for a fair price.

Can you send me their name/number?

GSteg 03-23-11 09:35 PM

I wonder why he wouldn't recommend it.

LexiBear 03-23-11 09:49 PM

He just said that many people end up going back to stock suspension after a while because they didn't like the ride.

I have to admit that I am a little hesitant to install the coilovers because I don't want a harsh ride. I want it to be just a little stiffer than stock. My husband is promising that the dampener will allow me to adjust it. What do you guys think? As you can see, I have no idea what I'm getting myself into.

GSteg 03-23-11 09:54 PM

Most people end up staying on coils until they sell their car, then they go back to stock suspension. Those who don't like the ride generally move onto the next coil.

The ride quality will depend on many things. What coilovers do you have? The damper knobs will only change the stiffness to a degree, but it's not a magical knob that will allow you to turn your car from a stock ride to a Nascar, and vice versa. So depending on the coilovers, you can set the knob to full soft and it can still break your back. On the other hand, there are coils that ride soft even if the knob is set to full stiff. The damper knob is one of the most overused, and misunderstood part of the coilover :)

LexiBear 03-23-11 10:09 PM

Megan LPs...are those going to break my back?

I got the F Sport rear sway bar put on last week and I really like the improved handling. Hope I'm using the correct terminology haha...I was never interested in modding my car before but this one is so fun to drive. I can't wait to see how much better it can get. Thanks for the reassurance.

GSteg 03-23-11 10:16 PM

The Megan LP's spring rates are kind of stiff. The EZ-model has softer spring rate, but stiffer than stock so those are probably a better option. You should have asked around for a ride before you bought the coils because I know for a fact that there are A LOT of IS owners with Megan coils in Socal. I'm sure they would have let you ride in their cars. Still, you'll find many owners who say their Megans can ride soft and some will stay it's quite stiffer. It's all relative.

gemini1 03-23-11 10:18 PM

Tommy installs springs and coilovers almost eevryday!
He also has installed a camber kit too!

LexiBear 03-23-11 10:31 PM

OMG I'm such a newb. I just recently found CL after I bought my IS. I guess I should have done more research on this...was being lazy and just agreed with what my husband suggested.

Now that I think about it, his car is really bumpy and I don't like it! He claims that it's because of his tires...hmm, so what's going to going to happen when I get new wheels?

GSteg 03-23-11 10:43 PM

Does your husband have the same car and coilovers?

LexiBear 03-23-11 10:55 PM

Nope. He's got a TSX but he said that his car wasn't bumpy until he got 19's and 35 series tires.

Originally I wasn't planning to change my rims but the stock 18's are looking kind of plain right now. I will definitely have to take my time to find the right ones to get. He put on the GFX body kit today and it looks pretty good :)

MiiK350 03-23-11 11:03 PM

Lexi, you wouldn't happen to work at lexus would you?

LexiBear 03-23-11 11:47 PM

No, why do you think that?

cbrasian 03-24-11 08:53 PM

you have many options.... it all depends on what you want out of the car looks or performance and then you can go even further in depth... Go to a shop that does these things and ask.... and if they give you a b.s answer or quick run around then they are not a professional....That will be the best professional advice I can say on here....

MiiK350 03-24-11 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by LexiBear (Post 6250626)
No, why do you think that?

I used to work at a Dealership in socal. One of my coworkers, Lexi, had a husband with a modded acura.

LexiBear 03-24-11 11:46 PM

Oooh, that's not me hehe.

LexiBear 03-26-11 06:20 PM

Got my coilovers installed today! I have to say that I was worried for nothing. Tommy set the dampers at 16 and the ride home was fun. It is a noticeable difference from stock with much better control and handling. Even my husband was satisfied with the improvement, as he hated the boat feeling and loose steering on stock.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...0/DSC_2686.jpg

chris07is 03-26-11 06:46 PM

congrats..looking nice...even better if u lower it more...other than that...sweet ride...glad dat u did it wid tommy..he's the man....

LexiBear 03-26-11 09:45 PM

I know, I'm too chicken to go lower because I don't want to scrape...though I am going to switch out the wheels to get a flush look. Getting in and out of the car is a noticeable difference, even though I didn't drop it that much.

Also, the car has already settled a little lower because it was set 1 finger and now it's tucked under a little. Might be because the old springs are in the trunk weighing it down, I don't know.

GSteg 03-26-11 10:03 PM

Looks great as is. No need to go lower :)