CL of Southern California For Southern California Lexus owners to come together.

I Got Hit While Parked At The Gym! Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-08, 01:30 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I Got Hit While Parked At The Gym! Please Help!

ATTN MODS: This is a re-post of the original post that is in the SC300 forums. I made a duplicate post here in the So Cal forums to seek out more advices, help, and/or suggestions from local members

So I have been in bed sick all day, missed a day of work, and did not get out of bed until 3-4pm. By 1am, I finally have enough energy to drag myself to the gym just to get my blood pumping after being sedentary all day. While working out, the guy and the front desk made an announcement over the PA, asking for the driver of a red 2-Door Lexus to come up front.

Immediately, my stomach dropped as I the thoughts of the unimaginable things that might have happened to my beloved car ran across my mind. Someone stole my car and took off with it? Some broke into it and attempted to steal something? Why else would they ask for the proud owner of a Lexus coupe to come up front? Wishfully thinking, I might have left headlights on? No, impossible, my car turns off its headlights automatically I remembered. Still a little optimistic and admittedly a little selfish, I guessed with a slim possibility that there might be another Lexus Coupe out there and that is the car they are referring to. But given how uncommon these cars are, what is the chance of there being another red SC out there at 2am on a Saturday night? Not very likely.

So me and my buddy rushed up to the front desk to we saw the front desk employee with a nervous looking patron staring at us. He asked if either one of us are the owners of a Red Lexus Coupe and apologetically confessed that he hit it while backing up. All three of us went outside to inspect the damages and he brought his insurance card, driver's license, and registration card back inside and I photocopied his documents. He was being apolegetic about it and I was superficially calm. He thanked me for being calm about the whole thing so I thanked him for being honest and staying behind. Personally, I would not expect anyone to stay behind if they backed into someone else's car at 2am in a dark parking lot.

The aftermath:

My car's BlueBook isnt worth that much sadly. It is a 1992 SC300 w/ 185k miles. I have absolutely no knowledge or experience with insurance claims or body work. For anyone of you guys that do, please help by giving me suggestions either on here or through PM.
Old 09-14-08, 01:47 PM
LEXMAN350
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sux that your car got damaged but atleast the person who hit you was honest and the damage doesn't look that bad and can be easily fixed by a body shop at no cost to you. I wish everyone was that honest. The samething like this happened to me before and the person who hit my car just ran off.
Old 09-14-08, 03:42 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

You will need to contact the other person's insurance. Call them up and let them know that you were hit by that guy. They will probably tell you to take it to their adjusters office so they can give you an estimate. They will give you recommendations as to where to get it fixed but they cannot force you to get it repaired at their shop.

Good luck. I would take it to Backyard Creations, since that person will have to pay for everything.
Old 09-15-08, 11:00 AM
PushinLEX
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn, bad luck bro. at least the guy was honest and straightforward. gl getting her fixed up.
Old 09-15-08, 11:04 AM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks goodness for honesty, you gotta give the credit where it's due
sorry to hear about this jerry, always happens to the best of us

hang in there, have the other party's insurance pick up the tab, and close the case, asap. since you're not fronting the bill, get it done at a reputable shop and done right...to your specs
Old 09-15-08, 12:08 PM
1wickedgs
Driver

You were lucky someone back up into my car while it was parked and took off
Attached Thumbnails I Got Hit While Parked At The Gym! Please Help!-0906080911.jpg  
Old 09-15-08, 12:57 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

That's he was open and you have his insurance info. Depending how you feel, you can go through his or start through your own Ins company. Get some quotes from the favorite shops and see. You'll find out what the actual cash value is and relative to repairs needed. Your ride looks well kept and I think you have enough value to not worry about a total.
Old 09-15-08, 01:33 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks guys for all of the kind words and compliments

So today, I called my insurance, AAA, to give them all of the information regarding the entire incident - time. date. location, driver's information and insurance. They said gave me a claims number and said that the adjuster will give me a call within 24-48 hours but they are really busy with all the havoc going on over in Texas.

I asked if I should contact the other guy's insurance, Wawanesa, they said that they will take care of that.

Does it really matter whether I should have contacted AAA or Wawanesa first?

I will call back AAA in a day or two and see what happens. Yea, I will try to have a reputable shop like Backyard or Mobworks work on the car.

Again, if someone has knowledge or experience that is related to this ordeal, please contribute
Old 09-15-08, 02:27 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

The guy had Wawanesa insurance? I'd file the claim through them since I've heard their customer service was one of the best to deal with.

When I had my first accident I filed a claim through my insurance and through the other party's. My accord had liability only, so my insurance company (21st) told me what to do and how to deal with the other company (safeco). Safeco dragged it on forever and it took 6-7 months to get a check to fix my car.

When my TL got bumped during traffic I did the same thing and filed through both companies 21st and State Farm (other party's insurance). The TL had full coverage, so 21st gave me the option of fixing it through them or waiting for the other company. I choose to go through my company and pay my $500 deductible to have the car fixed in a week instead of waiting for the other company. About a month later I got a check from the other company to reimburse me for the deductible I had paid.
Old 09-15-08, 04:37 PM
chrispy

Received 78 Likes on 37 Posts

The two people who hit me had Wawanesa and Safeco. I was surprised that the Safeco adjuster looked at my car much more carefully than the Wawanesa one. She sat me down and went through every single option the car had. I can't really comment on how fast Wawanesa's turnaround time is since my accident was a special situation.
Old 09-15-08, 05:51 PM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by xknowonex
I asked if I should contact the other guy's insurance, Wawanesa, they said that they will take care of that.

Does it really matter whether I should have contacted AAA or Wawanesa first?
Kudos to that honest person

Well, the first thing that you did which was correct was to contact your insurance.
There's really nothing else to do since your insurance is now taking care of it.

I have AAA too and they're really good.

At the end, your deductible will be covered by Wawanesa.
Old 09-15-08, 09:21 PM
vinh
Lexus Champion

something similar to this happened to my SC about a year ago. I contacted the other person's insurance with all of their information and than they gave me a list of body shops to choose from. I chose one, dropped my car than picked it up a week later. All payment was handled between his insurance company and the body shop.
Old 09-16-08, 08:38 AM
GoldGS3
Pole Position

sorry she got hurt... But, two for HONEST person.

In my situation, other party insurance company paid for everything. My insurance did the paperwork for me. Ask the other party insurance to cover for the rental car.

I asked my insurance if my premium would be affected, and I was assured that it would not. So far the premium is same price.

Good luck.
Old 09-17-08, 08:43 AM
irv_usc
Lead Lap

yeah, what goldGS said. you should be able to file for rental coverage through the other party's insurance company while your car is getting fixed.

let your insurance handle all the claims work, that's what they're there for.

you made the right choice calling your own insurance company. now go to the best shops in your area and get some quotes.
Old 09-17-08, 09:25 PM
CrazyMPG
Phat Monkey

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

wow that sucks man...good thing the guy was honest...I had one person back into my 05 prius b4 and he actually left a note saying that he damaged the front hood and left his number...I didn't notice the note until I got into the car because it was raining at the time... Well good luck and you car will be restored to its natural beauty!

Quick Reply: I Got Hit While Parked At The Gym! Please Help!